Discussion St Kilda Pre-Season take 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunstan was awful mate. Re-watch the first half alone and you’ll see 4 or 5 worm burners that make Geary look like a good kick. Second half everyone joined him in crapiness.

Just stats wise, he was turning the ball over repeatedly. He'd actually had good preseason up until the real stuff started. From the eye test I thought Jones looked the most promising mid but he was spraying like a tom-cat too.

I think that was Cunners. Goldy was good all game. Anyway hopefully it seems they have a had a rethink and realised the stupidity of two rucks with 16 minute quarters.

They seemed to start working well together after half time. Footy is an easy game if the ruck taps it into you hands and you get the ball moving forward. You could see it unfolding and just couldn't understand why we didn't sit someone on Cunnington. Steele still gets lost without an opponent. He seems to run to the wrong spots without a job.

Sorry I dont rate Lonie at all, the goals he kicks are all rubbish team goals and his opponent runs off him far too easily and he is brushed off tackles to easily. He would be the 40th player picked in a 38 player squad in my team. Meaning he wouldnt be on the list...

Probably true 2 years ago, he's more of a link up forward now. He's not Steven Milne but he's a very good mid at VFL level and not big enough to play there in the seniors so that high half forward link up role suits his game.

They seemed to start working well together after half time. Footy is an easy game if the ruck taps it into you hands and you get the ball moving forward. You could see it unfolding and just couldn't understand why we didn't sit someone on Cunnington. Steele still gets lost without an opponent. He seems to run to the wrong spots without a job.
I dont see the need for Steele to stop tagging. He has shown he can still get his 25+ disposals while stopping the oppositions best player - or at least keeping them accountable. Thats more valuable than him getting the same amount of disposals anyway while the oppositions mid is dominating.

Aaaagh you've set me off again!

Cunnington - said it before the game, said it during the game, said it after - put someone on him. He ripped us up a new one, I need locking up!

I dont see the need for Steele to stop tagging. He has shown he can still get his 25+ disposals while stopping the oppositions best player - or at least keeping them accountable. Thats more valuable than him getting the same amount of disposals anyway while the oppositions mid is dominating.
Last year I would’ve agreed with you but in the preseason games and round 1 he’s shown he can really win the ball. 13 CP against North and he didn’t even play a full game in the middle. I’d let him focus on that.

Here’s a crazy idea instead of not winning the ball in the middle and butchering it when he gets it outside why not try Dunstan as a tagger.

Last year I would’ve agreed with you but in the preseason games and round 1 he’s shown he can really win the ball. 13 CP against North and he didn’t even play a full game in the middle. I’d let him focus on that.

Here’s a crazy idea instead of not winning the ball in the middle and butchering it when he gets it outside why not try Dunstan as a tagger.

Maybe too slow and not fit enough. Geary has tagged early in his career, he'd be a pretty handy lockdown.

I think he is of more value and has a greater influence getting the 9-11 contested possessions he has averaged over the past few years while tagging someone than getting a few more contested possessions while we get dominated by one player.

He was playing is best football while tagging and was one of the few things in our midfield that was consistently working in our favour. It just seems like a pointless role change that has little benefit overall.

Maybe too slow and not fit enough. Geary has tagged early in his career, he'd be a pretty handy lockdown.
Geary tagged in a match not that long ago, could have been on Smith against the Hawks. Thought he was quite effective. I remember watching him in the VFL around the packs and thought he was quite imposing. Anyway, unlikely to happen.

Geary tagged in a match not that long ago, could have been on Smith against the Hawks. Thought he was quite effective. I remember watching him in the VFL around the packs and thought he was quite imposing. Anyway, unlikely to happen.

You cant have Geary tagging in the middle of the ground. He wouldn't win any own ball.

Trying to make Steele the high production mid we need isn’t going to work. For the moment we are going to need combinations of Dunstan. Jones, Gresham and possibly Hannebery with some cameos.
We need to buy, develop our next mids - Bytel, Byrnes.
Leave Steele in the tagging role it’s where he’s proven his best work.

I'd like to see Hunter get a run in the middle! Think he could offer us something different!
Has vision, and creative ball use where he opens up the play and would bring our outside players into it more!

I know he is still very young and maybe not a fulltime mid just yet. But certainly in bursts i can see him being very effective!
And maybe use Steele in the defensive fwd role. We know his tackling numbers are exceptional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the training pics there appear to be clear first and second sides, and Robbo is in the seconds while Webster in firsts.

I'd like to see Hunter get a run in the middle! Think he could offer us something different!
Has vision, and creative ball use where he opens up the play and would bring our outside players into it more!

I know he is still very young and maybe not a fulltime mid just yet. But certainly in bursts i can see him being very effective!
And maybe use Steele in the defensive fwd role. We know his tackling numbers are exceptional.
I would like to see anyone in the middle in place of the current crop who are just going around in circles and making no real progress, and can't stamp themselves on a game as was obvious against North, but it needs a bit of courage to do a total rebuild of a midfield by a coach.

We need composed natural goal kickers playing forward to kick them when they get the chance and I believe Battle is one the safest shots on goal at the club - has to play forward. Membrey is so much more dangerous when he is not manned up by the 2nd tall its obvious to me. Battle or King to ruck in the forward line and Marshall for the entire game in the ruck.

We need composed natural goal kickers playing forward to kick them when they get the chance and I believe Battle is one the safest shots on goal at the club - has to play forward. Membrey is so much more dangerous when he is not manned up by the 2nd tall its obvious to me. Battle or King to ruck in the forward line and Marshall for the entire game in the ruck.

I'd be happy for him to play back, he was excellent last year. Roberton looks a bit rusty and was being forced to play as a KP rather than rangy running back.

Membery won’t get the third tall if battle plays forward and he doesn’t get the second tall. He gets the tall that plays deep when deep and gets another tall that can run with him when up the ground. If there is a tall suited to him all the time he would get the best tall because he is our best forward. Battle should help our side because he is a better forward than Ryder but it still won’t help membery. Membery will be helped when either both king and battle pass him as a forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back