Discussion St Kilda Pre-Season take 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like the plan to restart the season will come out today. No doubt we’ll be playing on a Sunday but if I took a guess who we’ll be playing I’d say.....Bulldogs.
Move over flamingo, ITK status.......CONFIRMED.

Dogs will be a good test. They are a tough match up while it still being a very very winnable game.

If the Marshall and Ryder combo cant dominate this game then it will be proof that it will never work and it's time to scrap it and play Battle forward every game (which most people would prefer anyway).

Dogs will be a good test. They are a tough match up while it still being a very very winnable game.

If the Marshall and Ryder combo cant dominate this game then it will be proof that it will never work and it's time to scrap it and play Battle forward every game (which most people would prefer anyway).

I’d rather Ryder than Kent in the team, so I’d take Ryder and Battle in round 2.
I just don’t see what Kent offers us. He’s had one good game (against Melbourne) and that’s it.

I’d rather Ryder than Kent in the team, so I’d take Ryder and Battle in round 2.
I just don’t see what Kent offers us. He’s had one good game (against Melbourne) and that’s it.

Agree on Kent. Battle must play and hopefully Marshall/Ryder can tear them a new one. Will be interesting to see how Bruce goes against our defence?

Last edited:
Having King, Ryder/Marshall, Battle and Membrey makes us too tall in the forward line. Kent isnt competing with them for a spot.

Before he got injured last year, he was 2nd in our side for scoring shots and high up for goal assists, so for a team that doesnt score much he was actually useful. If he can fix his accuracy - which wasnt an issue before he joined the club - then he is a useful forward. It is up to either Sinclair, Hind or Parker to push him out - but realistically, all 4 options give them same below average output to the forward line so I doubt the selection will make much difference to the result of a game.

In that video with Lonie on the Saints website it looks as though Battle is training with the forwards. I find the Battle situation really interesting and a bit perplexing. We unearthed a gun backman last year but for some reason feel the need to try him forward again or even in the midfield.

Now it seems like Carlisle is suffering from some back issues again, hopefully will be good to go in Round 2 but surely Battle is the perfect replacement. To be honest from what we saw from Robbo in Round 1 I don't think he should be automatically taking Battle's spot either. I think we are a better side with Battle in the backline.

If Battle is going to be played forward then I really hope it's with a mind to actually play him there from now on! Don't really get why we'd take him out of the backline to be a backup forward, feels like we are robbing Peter to pay no one.

In that video with Lonie on the Saints website it looks as though Battle is training with the forwards. I find the Battle situation really interesting and a bit perplexing. We unearthed a gun backman last year but for some reason feel the need to try him forward again or even in the midfield.

Now it seems like Carlisle is suffering from some back issues again, hopefully will be good to go in Round 2 but surely Battle is the perfect replacement. To be honest from what we saw from Robbo in Round 1 I don't think he should be automatically taking Battle's spot either. I think we are a better side with Battle in the backline.

If Battle is going to be played forward then I really hope it's with a mind to actually play him there from now on! Don't really get why we'd take him out of the backline to be a backup forward, feels like we are robbing Peter to pay no one.
I have always been an advocate for Battle to the forward line. Last year he was decent playing in defence, but with the addition of Howard he should be groomed at a CHF which imo is his best position due to his elite tank/marking/kicking. The only issue we have is that we have recruited Ryder to partner Marshall and Ryder is the other resting Ruckman.

Carlisle/Howard are our 2 pillar defenders with Robbo/Wilkie playing that intercepting/running game. We then have Geary as the small forward shut down and then throw a blanket over another 5 players in Webster/Paton/Savage/Coffield/Clark/Long for the other spot.

My ideal forward set up is

Parker Battle Billings
Lonie King Membrey

Gresham should be played predominately in the middle with Butler being on the interchange bench

Geary Howard Wilkie
Robbo Carlisle Long
Hill Steele Jones
Parker Battle Billings
Lonie King Membrey
Marshall Dunstan Ross

Butler Ryder Hannebery Clark

Last edited:
I have always been an advocate for Battle to the forward line. Last year he was decent playing in defence, but with the addition of Howard he should be groomed at a CHF which imo is his best position due to his elite tank/marking/kicking. The only issue we have is that we have recruited Ryder to partner Marshall and Ryder is the other resting Ruckman.

Carlisle/Howard are our 2 pillar defenders with Robbo/Wilkie playing that intercepting/running game. We then have Geary as the small forward shut down and then throw a blanket over another 5 players in Webster/Paton/Savage/Coffield/Clark/Long for the other spot.

Parker Battle Billings
Lonie King Membrey

Gresham should be played predominately in the middle with Butler being on the interchange bench

Geary Howard Wilkie
Robbo Carlisle Long
Hill Steele Jones
Parker Battle Billings
Lonie King Membrey
Marshall Steele Ross

Really like this team. You have 2 Steele’s maybe take 1out for a Dunstan?

Parker Battle Billings
Lonie King Membrey

Geary Howard Wilkie
Robbo Carlisle Long
Hill Steele Jones
Parker Battle Billings
Lonie King Membrey
Marshall Dunstan Ross

They aren’t going to play a ruckman on the bench so based on that side we have two forwards interchanging and only one mid. Also no gresh.

FMD - the AFL now have a countdown clock for the release of the draw!!!

Its happening at 1.00 PM so go to the AFL website if you can't figure out how long away that is. No wonder we get treated like idiots by the AFL - because its clear that what they think of their supporters!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ST KILDA

Round 2: Western Bulldogs, Marvel Stadium (home), Sunday June 14 at 6:05pm

Round 3: Collingwood, MCG (away), Saturday June 20 at 4:35pm

Round 4: Richmond, Marvel Stadium (home), Saturday June 27 at 4:35pm

Round 5: Carlton, MCG (away), Saturday July 4 at 1:45pm

Pros... Big win for the Saints as they don’t have to travel out of Melbourne at all in this first block of games... they haven’t played more than three games at the MCG in a season since 2012, so some experience at the home of footy will be handy.

Cons... After the disappointing Round 1 loss to the Kangaroos, it’s a very tricky restart, with a Bulldogs side desperate to make amends for their own poor season opener, plus flag contenders Collingwood and Richmond... you really wouldn’t want to be 0-4 this year.

ST KILDA

Round 2: Western Bulldogs, Marvel Stadium (home), Sunday June 14 at 6:05pm

Round 3: Collingwood, MCG (away), Saturday June 20 at 4:35pm

Round 4: Richmond, Marvel Stadium (home), Saturday June 27 at 4:35pm

Round 5: Carlton, MCG (away), Saturday July 4 at 1:45pm

Pros... Big win for the Saints as they don’t have to travel out of Melbourne at all in this first block of games... they haven’t played more than three games at the MCG in a season since 2012, so some experience at the home of footy will be handy.

Cons... After the disappointing Round 1 loss to the Kangaroos, it’s a very tricky restart, with a Bulldogs side desperate to make amends for their own poor season opener, plus flag contenders Collingwood and Richmond... you really wouldn’t want to be 0-4 this year.

Very tricky run of matches. The Pies will have a 9 day break before our game against us, while we have 6 days. I wonder if that could weirdly work in our favour after such a long layoff?

I’ve been lucky to watch every game he’s played at Oakleigh and he’s the real deal. He’s an indigenous kid who’s parents had him kicking a footy the day he could walk. I have no idea how the bulldogs had any influence on his development as a footballer.

I think him and Max King will be two of the best KPF’s in the game in a few years. Speaking of Max, are you guys super excited about him? And the potential he has?
Can't say I'm over the moon so far- maybe another season off. Got a couple of straightforward frees in the North game for goals, but honestly just looked like a young kid with a long way to go. I hope he makes it though.

The players I've heard talking about it say this is the one you'd really want to win more than any other.

It will be different but we'll get used to it. If we won I'd still go bananas.
I tend to agree. To have all these restrictions enforced and missing quality training and playing time, as well as being apart from friends will be more galvanising for the group you’d reckon. And winning the lot through adversity would only be a good thing for the culture of whichever club wins.

Very tricky run of matches. The Pies will have a 9 day break before our game against us, while we have 6 days. I wonder if that could weirdly work in our favour after such a long layoff?
Makes winning the first game against the Dogs non-negotiable. 0-2 will we exceptionally hard to get back from, with two top 4 teams next.

Ending this stretch 2-3 is a pass. Going 3-2 would be a big win.

That is one exceptionally tough block of matches to get us going! We will certainly know where we are at after this!
Straight into the frying pan for the Saints! Are we up for it?
Will need all guns blazing to overcome these sides!

All 4 matches are in separate slots ie no clash with other games. Does that mean they will all be on free to air? Or will some still only be on fox footy? Sorry I'm not familiar with broadcast situation.

Having King, Ryder/Marshall, Battle and Membrey makes us too tall in the forward line. Kent isnt competing with them for a spot.

Before he got injured last year, he was 2nd in our side for scoring shots and high up for goal assists, so for a team that doesnt score much he was actually useful. If he can fix his accuracy - which wasnt an issue before he joined the club - then he is a useful forward. It is up to either Sinclair, Hind or Parker to push him out - but realistically, all 4 options give them same below average output to the forward line so I doubt the selection will make much difference to the result of a game.

I disagree that playing Battle makes us too tall. If we are coached smartly and they are not competing against each other in marking duels I believe it will work in our favour. Membrey is used to push up one wing and Battle the other, which gives us two genuine marking get out options and Ryder/Marshall stay at home with King leading out. Plus I think against most opposition defences Membrey & Battle can apply as much defensive pressure as Kent or Lonie do as smalls.

The other thing I was going to mention was what better time to play Collingwood and Richmond without their significant crowd advantages. I believe it gives teams like those a 5 goal advantage when playing in front of their rabid crowds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back