Discussion St Kilda Pre-Season take 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Having to have a tall forward on our bench at all times would severely disadvantage our already weaker midfield who will then get less rotations than our opposition. Plus if we got an in game injury, it would severely hurt our rotations.

Our midfield is garbage, but their main weapon is endurance.
Steele, ross, sinclair, hill, phillips all absolutely elite endurance.
They can and have regularly clocked up 80%+ TOG all year long with no issues.

Hill aside, they all struggle to either dispose properly, make good decisions, or find the ball... but our mids (along with backline guys like geary, savage, and roma etc) can play almost the whole game without sitting on the pine.

I cant understand why posters are getting worked up about our lack of free to air tv exposure. Our recent team history has been very poor and we have been a laboriuos team to watch with low scoring games. When crowds were allowed our numbers were ordinary and we have one of the smallest Victorian club membership and supporter totals.

Basically as George has said, change our product start winning games with an exciting brand of football and then we can have something to complain about if we dont get more exposure. Until then we are St Kilda....so get Foxtel or Kayo and enjoy the games.

Hill aside, they all struggle to either dispose properly, make good decisions, or find the ball... but our mids (along with backline guys like geary, savage, and roma etc) can play almost the whole game without sitting on the pine.
Hmmm three traits you dont want your mids to have if your ever going to play finals
Ps , what your describing there was me when i played

Last edited:
And you say that because ?
So if we had flogged North and kicked 100 points you think that would have made no difference ?
No really
And we didn’t
Do you think they based our 1st four rounds on the lose in rnd 1

StKilda couldn’t beat North let’s stick it to them

Last edited:
No really
And we didn’t
Do you think they based our 1st four rounds on the lose in rnd 1

StKilda couldn’t beat North let’s stick it to them
Well you didnt answer the question , what has it got to do with ?

In a way the Dogs is a great first up game for us. We know we can beat them as we did it last year. We desperately need a good win to build momentum.

Will be fascinating to see who puts their hand up over the next two weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s 4 rounds of 17 round season
Ch 7 most likely asked for bigger teams maybe
I would put money on it it’s not because we lost ONE game of to north

Last edited:

We had that scenario ( but with better quality players ) in 2010.
But Collingwood in particular were doing high rotations to allow their players to do more sprint bursts throughout the game.
Its not a matter of how long can you jog around the ground, its how much you can burst after a few minutes rest.

Having to have a tall forward on our bench at all times would severely disadvantage our already weaker midfield who will then get less rotations than our opposition. Plus if we got an in game injury, it would severely hurt our rotations.

Your opinion have different one.

Not directed at you by the way .

The game keeps tactically changing , looking forward to the day a coach has the guts to keep forwards deep
when ball is other end of the ground.

Watching so many replayed games over past 7 years clearly showed this , my major beef with what the
Saints have served up has been risk free, low skilled style , minimal rotations of players from all sections
of the ground .

From a defensive perspective in my opinion if you consistently have tall targets , you are more likely
to deny the opposition to mark the ball in defence , providing those players refuse to allow defenders
by bringing the ball to ground and you have speed at their feet.

We have consistently had one tactical plan , when opposition worked us out , we then struggled.

Hopefully rotate our players on the ground more, are prepared to change the dynamics, defend better
in midfield & forward areas of the ground
to me we are really easy to play against.

Just pay the massive $25 dollars. And I don’t mean you as I saw you paid. I would be extremely confident the club have spoken to the afl. The other choice is to think the worst of the club all the time. I choose the club.

i am aware of a 3 month free kayo through bet easy. anyone know if still available?

It’s 4 rounds of 17 round season
Ch 7 most likely asked for bigger teams maybe
I would put money on it it’s not because we lost ONE game of to north
Its been no secret that the TV stations wanted to put on exciting watchable games , they never stated the bigger teams , just exciting watchable games and even said so this morning on SEN , in saying that i refer to all the Off season Hype that was put on us and Im betting when the Corona hit the fan the TV companies were looking how to maximize the air time and would have been watching very closely the games during the first round and talking with the AFL , Round One for us may not have been the total reason we didn't get and FTA games but i will bet it sure didnt help our cause.
Ps , Even if it had of been a shootout against the Roos and the scores were them 120 points and us 110 we would have been a chance , not kicking 54 points for the game

We had that scenario ( but with better quality players ) in 2010.
But Collingwood in particular were doing high rotations to allow their players to do more sprint bursts throughout the game.
Its not a matter of how long can you jog around the ground, its how much you can burst after a few minutes rest.

That's the thing though- Steele, ross, sinclair, hill, phillips, geary, roma, savage etc all run out the game fine with very high TOG.

~30%+ of the team can are proven to be able to run all day, all year with stuff all rests.

I think we are in a good position to have a permanent tall resting on the bench all day (rotating roma, king, ryder in that bench spot all day)

That's the thing though- Steele, ross, sinclair, hill, phillips, geary, roma, savage etc all run out the game fine with very high TOG.

~30%+ of the team can are proven to be able to run all day, all year with stuff all rests.

I think we are in a good position to have a permanent tall resting on the bench all day (rotating roma, king, ryder in that bench spot all day)

I realise they can run all day.
But can they hit a pack harder and faster if they come off a rest.
Others describe our team as a bunch of plodders, and being able to run at a plod all day doesn't help us.

And you actually think we are ahead of most sides in that department. Very doubtful. I’m guessing most sides are the same. Melbourne have got blokes who go all day yet they realised the stupidity of playing 2 *s because it effected their rotations. And if we are rotating 3 guys with similar game time marshall gets 67% game time. A complete disadvantage

decent article and re-cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back