Discussion St Kilda Pre-Season take 2

Remove this Banner Ad

There will be times Gears can be used wisely as a midfield tagger. Very dependent on match ups and opposition. Obviously not every week. If you don't rate Gears as a footballer then thats your opinion.
Who said I don’t rate geary as a footballer. That’s like saying I don’t rate plugger because he isn’t a tagger. He won’t and should not tag this year. We are past that.

Hunter, Hunter, Hunter and I say again Hunter. Has more than enough potential to be our number 1 mid within 12-24 months

Just needs patience and midfield minutes. IMO he is the piece you build the midfield around

I think he's more of a Nick Dal Santo ( which is good ) than a Lenny Hayes or a Luke Ball.
We need all types.

Compared to our old team.
Hunter Clark - Nick Dal Santo ( if we are lucky)
Luke Dunstan - Luke Ball. -- future hope Bytel.
Seb Ross - Lenny Hayes ( in his dreams ).
Jack Steele - Better than C Jones
Jade Gresham - Adam Schneider ( or an improvement on ).
Leigh Montagna - Billings ? Hannebery?

I think he's more of a Nick Dal Santo ( which is good ) than a Lenny Hayes or a Luke Ball.
We need all types.

I reckon CJ copped it from fans, when he played as a proper mid he'd rack up big numbers and his kicking would look equal to a lot of our best kicks these days. I remember one game he played in the guts against Melbourne and got about 40 touches. Steele is probably actually not quite as good to be honest.

We need all types.

Dal was as soft as shite when he was Hunter's age.
His smooth style gives a Dal like impression, but he played mid in his last year of juniors and interviewed draftees all said he's as hard as a coffin nail.

His stats certainly suggest he got plenty of contested possession in an era where there was a lot less than now. I think people thought he was a pretty player but I think that’s totally unfair on him. Can’t remember any incidents of softness so I have to go by stats.

His stats certainly suggest he got plenty of contested possession in an era where there was a lot less than now. I think people thought he was a pretty player but I think that’s totally unfair on him. Can’t remember any incidents of softness so I have to go by stats.

He plays up his softness on radio but he was more just evasive. No-one could get a hand on him like Pendles so people mistook it for avoiding taking hits.

He plays up his softness on radio but he was more just evasive. No-one could get a hand on him like Pendles so people mistook it for avoiding taking hits.
I go the other way when it comes to Dal! When he was young he won a shitload of contested ball and his tackle numbers were very high!
But as he got older he did become more of a pretty outside player who had good evasive skills but for all his talent did not hit the scoreboard
Anywhere near enough! Super player no doubt but i always felt the tag of a little soft especially in big games was fair in the end!

I reckon CJ copped it from fans, when he played as a proper mid he'd rack up big numbers and his kicking would look equal to a lot of our best kicks these days. I remember one game he played in the guts against Melbourne and got about 40 touches. Steele is probably actually not quite as good to be honest.

Yep got 39, no clangers, during the last year of his AFL career.
CJ was one of my favorite players.
Based on his WAFL performances we could have easily kept him on and been better than without him.

But don't forget Jack is just 24, CJ was 23 when we first got him.
Jack wins more contested ball than CJ did.
Last game 2018 against north, 35 disposals ( 15 contested ), 2 goals, 7 clearances. We still lost so he must have been doing ALL the work.

Based on his WAFL performances we could have easily kept him on and been better than without him.

Last game 2018 against north, 35 disposals ( 15 contested ), 2 goals, 7 clearances. We still lost so he must have been doing ALL the work.

Damn hard worker

I go the other way when it comes to Dal! When he was young he won a shitload of contested ball and his tackle numbers were very high!
But as he got older he did become more of a pretty outside player who had good evasive skills but for all his talent did not hit the scoreboard
Anywhere near enough! Super player no doubt but i always felt the tag of a little soft especially in big games was fair in the end!

He could slow the play down around him to me. He stayed composed with his arms ready to dish off if he was tackled. We didn't need inside grunt later in his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have been nice to have more players like Joey, Goddard, Dal, CJ & Dempster around for longer to fill the enormous post-Lenny leadership vacuum.

Not like we could have been any worse off across the last decade …

Would have been nice to have more players like Joey, Goddard, Dal, CJ & Dempster around for longer to fill the enormous post-Lenny leadership vacuum.

Not like we could have been any worse off across the last decade …

Joey played on a bit, and was really hanging out for some pasta apparently.

He could slow the play down around him to me. He stayed composed with his arms ready to dish off if he was tackled. We didn't need inside grunt later in his career.

He was too good a user to have at the bottom of the packs, but if the ball was in dispute he was a pretty decent chance to get it. Not one to butt heads with his opponent, and never missed games, incredibly robust.

39 Disposals on three occasions, 20 contested possessions once. 11 clearances on 2 occasions.

Gresh had a high disposal count but the only damage he was doing was to his own teammates with how horrific his ball use and decision making was.
That might be true, but our problems were in the 2nd half and my memory of the 2nd half is that nobody was prepared to take the game on. We really needed a Gresh out there, or even a Parker.

He started off with a few slow games, but soon found plenty of the ball.
He was never soft like this,

And even Gibbs turned out to be an OK player.

He started off with a few slow games, but soon found plenty of the ball.
He was never soft like this,

And even Gibbs turned out to be an OK player.

There is no doubting he was all class Dal. But unlike Lenny his performances in the big finals goes against his legacy!

There is no doubting he was all class Dal. But unlike Lenny his performances in the big finals goes against his legacy!
That was probably the only knock on Dal in the end, just couldn’t beat a tag and in finals he was always the first one tagged. Was always the best decision maker/ball user in the comp though.

Thank god for that. Desperately need guys like Bytel and Byrnes playing some sort of game to see if we’ve got anything there.

That was probably the only knock on Dal in the end, just couldn’t beat a tag and in finals he was always the first one tagged. Was always the best decision maker/ball user in the comp though.
Yeah he was around the ground! But for a player with his phenomenal skill set he was pretty ordinary around goals! Granted he liked to set them up
More than kick them himself, but we really needed him to have more of an impact on the scoreboard!

I watched the 1st half of the Kangaroos game again this week. It actually gave me some optimism after being totally dispirited directly after the game. That game should easily have been put to bed by half time. Some shocking decision making and skills from some of the usual suspects let us down. Just a little bit more composure and I don't think we are that far away from being a good team. We are severely lacking a ruthless streak and have been for some time. There needs to be at least a couple of players stand up, drive standards and take the team with them. We are very close to taking a step forward as a team.

Yeah he was around the ground! But for a player with his phenomenal skill set he was pretty ordinary around goals! Granted he liked to set them up
More than kick them himself, but we really needed him to have more of an impact on the scoreboard!

It was always Joey who would snag goals, and i always thought he'd play well into his thirties as a small forward.
Instead he was shifted to half back.

I’m surprised he played more than 50 games. I will tell right now those knocking dal must think we don’t even have a player better than good because dal is clearly better than anyone on our list on current form at the moment and by a huge distance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back