St Kilda returning to Moorabbin

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-12-13/best-present-ever-were-coming-home

Sentimentality aside, am I the only one thinking this is a ridiculous business decision? We're in an era of equalisation taxes and capped football department spending, and St Kilda is already planning to move out of a tailor built base that cost $9.5M after only moving there in 2010 and having $30M spent building another one. This is ******* ludicrous.

Last edited:
There are already some facilties at Moorabbin though, aren't there? It's not as if they need to build an entirely new facility

Someone else will use the facility at Seaford, it won't go to waste
Today’s funding announcement follows earlier commitments from the AFL and AFL Victoria ($6 million), Kingston City Council ($5 million), Southern Football & Netball league (SFNL - $250,000) and South Metro Junior Football League (SMJFL - $150,000) and means the approximately $30 million project will now proceed. St Kilda will also need to make a significant contribution towards the project.

I think it will be good for the club to reconnect us with our heartland. Junction Oval would have been even better but that's okay. The Vic Government has assisted Geelong with redevelopment of Kardinia Park, Collingwood with the headquarters etc etc...

I've always found it fairly bemusing that we cop criticism for moving to Seaford, but nobody does the same for Essendon or Hawthorn, who aren't exactly moving/have moved to Melbourne's most prime real estate.

I think it will be good for the club to reconnect us with our heartland. Junction Oval would have been even better but that's okay. The Vic Government has assisted Geelong with redevelopment of Kardinia Park, Collingwood with the headquarters etc etc...

I've always found it fairly bemusing that we cop criticism for moving to Seaford, but nobody does the same for Essendon or Hawthorn, who aren't exactly moving/have moved to Melbourne's most prime real estate.
Seaford's a bit further out than Tulla.

And the issue isn't the government funding a training base. It happens all the time. The issue is that 5 years after you moved in to a brand new training base, you're moving again.

Seaford's a bit further out than Tulla.

And the issue isn't the government funding a training base. It happens all the time. The issue is that 5 years after you moved in to a brand new training base, you're moving again.

While I didn't think Seaford was as diabolical decision as some did at the outset, it was admittedly a mistake. I think the players being discontented around it, if that has been the case, is somewhat precious.

The reality is though, it hasn't worked, we need to try something else. Otherwise we just put ourselves in a worse and worse position each passing year.

There are already some facilties at Moorabbin though, aren't there? It's not as if they need to build an entirely new facility

Someone else will use the facility at Seaford, it won't go to waste
Who is going to need a $9.5M football training base out in Seaford?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But St.Kilda spent all that money to develop those facilities down at Seaford, only to walk away from them.
I get the sentimental reason to go back to Moorabbin, but it doesn't seem like a good business decision as said in the OP.

But St.Kilda spent all that money to develop those facilities down at Seaford, only to walk away from them.
I get the sentimental reason to go back to Moorabbin, but it doesn't seem like a good business decision as said in the OP.

I think it was a bad decision to go to Seaford, time will tell if it is a good decision to spend a bit more to get us out of that situation. Hopefully it is.

I think it was a bad decision to go to Seaford, time will tell if it is a good decision to spend a bit more to get us out of that situation. Hopefully it is.

Just a very expensive move to go to Seaford. Really not sure what the reasoning was behind the Saints going down there in the first place when you guys could have just developed Moorabbin.

Just a very expensive move to go to Seaford. Really not sure what the reasoning was behind the Saints going down there in the first place when you guys could have just developed Moorabbin.

Dispute with the council regarding pokies and extent of future development was the initial reason that we moved. I think we wanted to develop it, including a building onto South Road, but the council wanted parkland kept.

Not of your own.
and again why would we go to Seaford when we have a perfectly good arrangement.

Why would St Kilda need to waste money when they already have facilities on their own?

Dispute with the council regarding pokies and extent of future development was the initial reason that we moved. I think we wanted to develop it, including a building onto South Road, but the council wanted parkland kept.

So what has changed now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back