Roast St Kilda robbed of home final

Remove this Banner Ad

Cos geelong and the mcg are in different cities. The mcg is 5 km from docklands.

thats how they justify it. Cant believe this is not effing obvious?

plus they are playing an interstate team anyway. Its not like they are even playing an mcg team.
I know, Fremantle is a different city to Perth but we play zero home games or finals in Fremantle. They are all at Perth Stadium (Optus). It got so bad that we decided to move our training ground next to the Freeway like to Geelong to reduce the travel time.

Yeah genuinely ****ed over here the Saints

They play at Marvel and I think they go in favourites where as the MCG not so much

Pretty ridiculous but I think the same thing happened to the Dogs v Adelaide a while back

Not sure how they justify a Geelong home final ever again
I have to agree with Ross on this. It is better to get this game at the MCG if we are fortunate to have another game there later ;)

home games for some but not others
It has always been that way

The G was Melbourne's home ground
Then Melbourne and Richmond
Then Melbourne, Richmond and North
Then Eagles got home games whilst Sydney was sent to Stadium Australia
Then etc.

Finals aren't "home games" they are games played at the most suitable venue in the respective State....so in WA that is Optus, Vic that is the G.
$ more important than fairness
Again, that is what finals are about.

If you wanted fairness, do it premier league style....play each team twice, once home and once away the team who tops the table is the premier.

The entire premise of finals is simply to generate $$ and interest for the league.
it will change but not yet
The only time you will get a Victorian final not at the G would be week1 if all 4 finals are to be played in Victoria and you cant schedule ALL 4 at the G.

They then game with least overall interest to an alternate venue.

They aint playing a Victorian SF, PF or GF anywhere but the MCG.

It has always been that way

The G was Melbourne's home ground
Then Melbourne and Richmond
Then Melbourne, Richmond and North
Then Eagles got home games whilst Sydney was sent to Stadium Australia
Then etc.

Finals aren't "home games" they are games played at the most suitable venue in the respective State....so in WA that is Optus, Vic that is the G.

Again, that is what finals are about.

If you wanted fairness, do it premier league style....play each team twice, once home and once away the team who tops the table is the premier.

The entire premise of finals is simply to generate $$ and interest for the league.

The only time you will get a Victorian final not at the G would be week1 if all 4 finals are to be played in Victoria and you cant schedule ALL 4 at the G.

They then game with least overall interest to an alternate venue.

They aint playing a Victorian SF, PF or GF anywhere but the MCG.
They are home games for some, but not for others. Not sure why you dispute it. Syd going to stadium Aust is irrelevant. If this was against Syd in Syd it would be at their home ground, the SCG, not Stadium Aust. It will change. My guess is Geelong will change it when they get an elimination final against an interstate side. Then the Etihad teams will get the same deal. It's easy to parrot the league's biased approach and support it because it gives you an armchair ride but the way the AFL run the sport for the benefit of some over others is a sham.

Most Saints fan don’t really care about this tbh

Obviously we’d be better at the Dome but the more game at the G the better.

If the weathers okay I reckon we might get 60ishk so makes sense to move it.

Arvo final at the G, not much more you can ask for
Saints wanted it at the Dome and the atmosphere with 55 at the dome would crap on 60'ish at the G

But I agree, most Saints fans don't care as we're just rapt to be making finals.

Because that is exactly what all you Handbaggers have been trying to do over the past 6,7,8 years with these ludicrous "home final" discussions
Especially with the GMHBA Stadium renovation nearing completion.

The next time Geelong finishes 1st, 2nd, 5th or 6th, you want the Week 1 final to be played at GMHBA Stadium instead of the MCG.
You're not fooling anyone. The Cats agenda is perfectly clear.

But like I said already, it won't happen unless there are 4 finals that weekend in Victoria with Geelong facing an interstate minnow.

"The MCG is the home of finals."

– AFL general manager, Laura Kane.

/thread
Why haven't the AFL scheduled GWS home finals at the SCG?
Why haven't the AFL scheduled Sydney home finals at Giants Stadium?
After all it's a home state final right?

It makes as much sense for GWS to play home finals at the SCG and for Sydney to play home finals at Giants Stadium, as it does for St Kilda, North Melbourne and Western Bulldogs to play home finals at the MCG.

Boo freaking hoo

Try having your earned home final moved interstate, twice

Adelaide and Brisbane call also relate to that one.

Victorian sides still don't realise how good they have it with their 'hardships'

Don't worry bro.

You won't have to concern yourself with such things for a very long time.

It makes as much sense for GWS to play home finals at the SCG and for Sydney to play home finals at Giants Stadium, as it does for St Kilda, North Melbourne and Western Bulldogs to play home finals at the MCG.

Until the StK game draws a crowd bigger than what Marvel can host, then it becomes a question again

$$
They know demand is there for a Swans final, hence when Stadium Australia was able to host AFL, Swans finals games were FIXtured at Stadium Australia.

They are probably aware that GWS doesnt have the interest in Sydney yet to warrant staging it at the SCG...so a case by case basis dependent on their opponent.

You are coming at it front the wrong perspective.

The AFL schedules finals at the venue that will maximise attendance.

Any Victorian final you will get 50k+ at the G, hence they are FIXtured at the G.

If the AFL think GWS will only attract a crowd of 15k for a final, they dont need to move it.

Finals aren't about fairness, they are about making $# for the league and getting as many punters at the game as possible.

Why? Because the Giants are a poorly-supported expansion team and they're trying to cultivate a supporter base from the western suburbs of Sydney.

The MCG and Marvel Stadium are at either edge of Melbourne's CBD, just a couple of km's apart.

Why the hell wouldn't you want the biggest crowd possible at this game? :rolleyes:

Finals are not "home" games. They are finals.

When it's a game between teams from different states, the higher placed team doesn't have to travel. They get to play the final in their home state.

Finals in Victoria??? At the MCG... the home of football.

That's just the way it is... That's the way it has always been... And it's the way it will continue to be. :thumbsu:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I'm stoked it's at the G. There'll be 60k plus, mostly all Saints fans, the atmosphere will be great and we actually play the ground well.

Finals football is at the G. I don't mind the Dome but not for a final.

This. Well said.

Nothing against GWS, I like the team and most of their fans on here, but there won't be a lot of them at the game. We'll drown them out.

Don't worry bro.

You won't have to concern yourself with such things for a very long time.
Blaming Spider-Man GIF

The fact its at the G means neutrals like myself and my son have a final to go to. Probably wouldn't have bothered if it was at Marvel but should be able to get decent seats at a decent price.

Speaking completely out of self-interest, as an MCC member I'll be going (I go to every MCG final I can, it's how the membership pays for itself). I'm genuinely neutral here, as both are teams I would like to see go on a run this year. Looking forward to a really good game.

Speaking completely out of self-interest, as an MCC member I'll be going (I go to every MCG final I can, it's how the membership pays for itself). I'm genuinely neutral here, as both are teams I would like to see go on a run this year. Looking forward to a really good game.
My sentiments exactly. I wouldn't be going if it was at Marvel, as wouldn't about 10,000 other MCC members.

My sentiments exactly. I wouldn't be going if it was at Marvel, as wouldn't about 10,000 other MCC members.

I'm actually expecting it to be a really good game, and may end up being the tightest. Saints have been up and down, but their best is exceptional, and Giants have fought hard to get here. Neither team will give up easily, and us neutrals will reap the benefits.

The Giants getting an early sniff at a hostile G will come in handy when they face the Dees in the Prelim there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back