St Kilda - time to get your house in order

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Propping up SA football for a 150 years has that effect.
If you think the stadium deal at Etihad was bad, the deal at AAMI was criminal.

The debt was run up when the club were SANFL owned and drained by, an equally valid question (that will give the same answer) would be why aren't the Crows filthy rich?

Both clubs have recently bought their way out of the SANFL (at a great cost considering the money both clubs had already contributed), but they still have their mucky fingers in the Adelaide Oval pie via the SMA (seriously the SANFL get a huge chunk of Adelaide Oval cash...for doing squat).

TLDR: SANFL

This is a good starting point:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...the-sa-footy-paradigm-shift-happening.554729/

Crows have had sellouts since day dot though, Port has only recently tapped into that support since the move to Adelaide Oval.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
What incentive is there for clubs to have no debt and heaps of dough?

Aside of course, from the people in the industry keeping their well paid jobs.

Why on earth do supporters care?

The AFL give all clubs massive 'handouts' which results in an 18 team comp that is played all over the country every weekend.
These 'handouts' are returned with significant interest when the AFL charge the TV companies $2.5b to televise their product.

For Vic clubs, the threat of relocation or mergers are still real. Mergers probably less so but North will tell you relocations are still in the AFL's sights (first GC then Tas).

For other clubs being self sustainable is important because the AFL uses punitive measures such as threatening to withhold funding, poor fixturing, forcing clubs in to selling off games etc for any club who dares stand up to the league on any issue. Not to mention the ability to invest in new facilities, resources etc which having debt doesn't allow. If it wasn't important Hawks, North, Demons, Dogs wouldn't be selling off home games.

sonnywalters

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2014
Newcastle NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think we have won only 1 of our last 10 Friday night games.
Some kind of horrendous record.
We always put on a terrible show under the big lights.
Average losing margin 40 points +.

Crows have had sellouts since day dot though, Port has only recently tapped into that support since the move to Adelaide Oval.
That’s a myth Crows were getting 35k season average crowds at AAMI.
They sold out in the early years, but very, very rarely in the past 20.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For Vic clubs, the threat of relocation or mergers are still real. Mergers probably less so but North will tell you relocations are still in the AFL's sights (first GC then Tas).

For other clubs being self sustainable is important because the AFL uses punitive measures such as threatening to withhold funding, poor fixturing, forcing clubs in to selling off games etc for any club who dares stand up to the league on any issue. Not to mention the ability to invest in new facilities, resources etc which having debt doesn't allow. If it wasn't important Hawks, North, Demons, Dogs wouldn't be selling off home games.
But ultimately, how does any of that matter?

Not sure if you noticed, but the Bulldogs won the flag two years ago.

The Saints were borderline broke and played in successive grand finals.

Richmond sent me a membership in the mail FFS! Me! I'm now a Richmond member. I never paid them a cent, and have no idea why or how I'm a member - but I am!

The whole 'we are rich' and 'we have heaps of members' thing is just a big pile of dog s**t designed to suck people in to fork out their hard earned.

No s**t, I'm legitimately a Richmond member. I even get to choose between a scarf and a cap!

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Always said that the deal should have been that clubs playing there should get a share in the ownership.

~1000 games would have been required over the full contract so every club gets a 0.1% share per game...Which they can sell to each other (or the league) or keep as an investment.

Clubs would have been pushing each other out of the way to play there....but instead the league collected all the benefits...
The league didn't own docklands. That was the problem.

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The FIXture is a totally different issue to the time slot, understand its one & the same to you, but clubs that cant pull a crowd need to address that issue, not blame others.
So you think it is St Kilda football club at fault because people in melbourne do not want to go and watch freo at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of winter?

Fmd

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Saints are going to win a lot of games when Clark, Coffield,Gresham and Billings start sharing the ball to each other instead of the current scrubs who seem to enjoy bombing it to no one leaving or entering either 50's.

Will they make money from that? With a better Etihad deal and a whole club vibe back at Linton St with AFLW and VFL I'd expect so.

Future is bright. Immediate future might rock the boat a little. But they have respected former AFL/AFLPA staffers at the place and Gil's not going to let them crumble on his watch.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
I see firing a public shot over the Saints bow like that as a precursor to something more sinister coming down the track. Clearly there are too many teams in Melbourne and Gilligan would want to leave his fingerprints on the game by altering where clubs are based in the future. Still think North are on the 'naughty' list too.

KeilorUnder9s

Benclank01 Disciple
Nov 25, 2010
Jamestown
AFL Club
Richmond
What incentive is there for clubs to have no debt and heaps of dough?

Aside of course, from the people in the industry keeping their well paid jobs.

Why on earth do supporters care?

The AFL give all clubs massive 'handouts' which results in an 18 team comp that is played all over the country every weekend.
These 'handouts' are returned with significant interest when the AFL charge the TV companies $2.5b to televise their product.

It is naive to think that the clubs making good profits and the ability to stockpile cash do not have a distinct advantage this day and age. It’s all a business.

Richmond sent me a membership in the mail FFS! Me! I'm now a Richmond member. I never paid them a cent, and have no idea why or how I'm a member - but I am!
Hang on...What?

I'm curious to know more about this as they also somehow have my mobile number and call me asking me to join up to be a member.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
So you think it is St Kilda football club at fault because people in melbourne do not want to go and watch freo at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of winter?

Fmd

IF you need to apportion fault ... who do you want to FIX the fact that some clubs cant pull a crowd on their own, its 30 odd years since the comp went national.
The Dogs had too many games in Melbourne, hello Ballarat, the Hawks & North have moved games from Melbourne, so have Melbourne & the Saints - too many games in Melbourne.

Hang on...What?

I'm curious to know more about this as they also somehow have my mobile number and call me asking me to join up to be a member.

Soz, that was me. I gave them your number because i think you would be a valuable addition to the club.

Jokes aside, id guess family or mate tagged you when the club was running a recruitment incentive for existing members to reach out to new ones

But ultimately, how does any of that matter?

Not sure if you noticed, but the Bulldogs won the flag two years ago.

The Saints were borderline broke and played in successive grand finals.

The whole 'we are rich' and 'we have heaps of members' thing is just a big pile of dog s**t designed to suck people in to fork out their hard earned.

No s**t, I'm legitimately a Richmond member. I even get to choose between a scarf and a cap!

Be glad though you dont count in our membership numbers :)

Soz, that was me. I gave them your number because i think you would be a valuable addition to the club.

Jokes aside, id guess family or mate tagged you when the club was running a recruitment incentive for existing members to reach out to new ones
Certainly wasn't family, I'm really the only footy mad person in the family. Mates maybe but I seriously doubt that too.

Certainly wasn't family, I'm really the only footy mad person in the family. Mates maybe but I seriously doubt that too.

Dont underestimate mates

We.once gave a mates info to a gold coast property developer, another we used his info to inquire about time share at yarrawonga :p

Back