St Kilda - time to get your house in order

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
But ultimately, how does any of that matter?

Not sure if you noticed, but the Bulldogs won the flag two years ago.

The Saints were borderline broke and played in successive grand finals.

Richmond sent me a membership in the mail FFS! Me! I'm now a Richmond member. I never paid them a cent, and have no idea why or how I'm a member - but I am!

The whole 'we are rich' and 'we have heaps of members' thing is just a big pile of dog s**t designed to suck people in to fork out their hard earned.

No s**t, I'm legitimately a Richmond member. I even get to choose between a scarf and a cap!

It matters because supporters don't want to see their clubs relocated or forced into shitty fixturing/deals because the AFL will threaten to withhold funds if they kick up a stink.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It matters because supporters don't want to see their clubs relocated or forced into shitty fixturing/deals because the AFL will threaten to withhold funds if they kick up a stink.

But again, why would the AFL do that?

Of course the answer is money.

But where could you relocate a team to in this country that they'd suddenly be more popular and generate more revenue?

Taking into account that many existing fans/customers would drop off.

It would require an enormous boost to cover that loss, in addition to the millions that the AFL would need to put in on an ongoing basis (ala Gold Coast).

It makes no sense. Just doesn't seem logical.

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
For Vic clubs, the threat of relocation or mergers are still real. Mergers probably less so but North will tell you relocations are still in the AFL's sights (first GC then Tas).

I think relocations are not ony about filling a gap but also making some room in a crowded market. If you look at North, Swans, Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne and Fitzroy they were squeezed in to an area about the size of Wyndham. Now I know that we have evolved beyond suburban boundaries but there is a question of branding and what a club stands for.

Carlton, Collingwood and to a lesser extent Melbourne were never going to be relocated. Swans and Fitzroy have been. North were on the cards a while back but have done a great job of building their brand and attractiveness in the last few years.

StKilda fills a gap in a area that does not need to be sifted out. There is a very significant Jewish following that does not show as prominently as it should in memberships and support is very strong from the Bayside area right around to the Peninsula. I would be very surprised if they were ever looked at as a relocation target. Maybe a merge one day and Hawthorn would be aligning as the obvious candidate for that if it were ever necessary.

But others have said, why would you trash a brand in an area that you would have to rebuild from scratch. It just wouldn't make sense commercially.

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Really? How are your crowd numbers compared to ours?

It always amazes me the people on this site that want to fling s**t without having a look at their own situation.
We’ve never had to use tarps, no one wanted to go see your mob play when you were a basket case, we are a basket case and our supporters turn up week in week out. Oh wait hang on, now every bogan can get a free ride in on the train and simply walk across the bridge, wait until the mediocre results return and the nostalgia wears off of playing at Adelaide oval, the crowd numbers will drop for sure. Also would like to see the dollar amount of tots handouts of port and compare it to St Kilda from the afl, ports would be higher for sure

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
We’ve never had to use tarps, no one wanted to go see your mob play when you were a basket case, we are a basket case and our supporters turn up week in week out. Oh wait hang on, now every bogan can get a free ride in on the train and simply walk across the bridge, wait until the mediocre results return and the nostalgia wears off of playing at Adelaide oval, the crowd numbers will drop for sure. Also would like to see the dollar amount of tots handouts of port and compare it to St Kilda from the afl, ports would be higher for sure

What are you talking about, not needing tarps? It was an alternate revenue stream because we werent making any money. Making money any which way possible is exactly wha your club should be doing.

Of course it looked embarrassing, but ultimately we were averaging around 20k against interstate sides. Your club gets around 20k against other Victorian sides.

You knock us even though we actually had a huge boost in attendances and membership that you could only dream of. At least we had a large, dormant supporter base to draw from. You wont have any growth because who can be bothered supporting a club that hasnt won a flag since the invention of colour television?

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
But again, why would the AFL do that?

Of course the answer is money.

But where could you relocate a team to in this country that they'd suddenly be more popular and generate more revenue?

Taking into account that many existing fans/customers would drop off.

It would require an enormous boost to cover that loss, in addition to the millions that the AFL would need to put in on an ongoing basis (ala Gold Coast).

It makes no sense. Just doesn't seem logical.

Hasn't stopped them before. Who knows, they may decide to relocate someone to NZ.

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
What are you talking about, not needing tarps? It was an alternate revenue stream because we werent making any money. Making money any which way possible is exactly wha your club should be doing.

Of course it looked embarrassing, but ultimately we were averaging around 20k against interstate sides. Your club gets around 20k against other Victorian sides.

You knock us even though we actually had a huge boost in attendances and membership that you could only dream of. At least we had a large, dormant supporter base to draw from. You wont have any growth because who can be bothered supporting a club that hasnt won a flag since the invention of colour television?
That’s the thing, the attendances have only been boosted since the move to Adelaide oval, we do not have the luxury and nostalgia of playing at a Newley redeveloped stadium. Before the move port were dire straights! All ports handouts and such won’t ever get brought up because it’s a two team town and they wouldn’t want to upset the fictitious history believers!

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lol no.

Like, once since 2010 I think?

But we are a low drawing team there, so would ya want to?

Sent from mTalk

Yeah maybe once. Just sick of playing (and losing) to you every time in Adelaide with no chance for a revenge game over here.

Frank Grimes

Premiership Player
May 8, 2007
between two bowling alley
AFL Club
Richmond
The way I read the situation is now with the new Etihad stadium deal the Saints should be able to now stand on their own two feet with out the AFL's help. If they struggle then it is now entirely due to incompetence rather than being at a disadvantage over a poor stadium deal.

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
The way I read the situation is now with the new Etihad stadium deal the Saints should be able to now stand on their own two feet with out the AFL's help. If they struggle then it is now entirely due to incompetence rather than being at a disadvantage over a poor stadium deal.

100% correct.
I'm sure I read somewhere that we made about $200k out of our 11 home games last year. Combined.
StKilda have put 800,000 people more through Etihad than the next best club. We have been financially crippled by the stupid joint.
Finally we should get some breathing room and, fixture aside, get a chance to compete on a more level playing field than previously.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
It has stopped them before.

When? The only thing that stopped them relocating clubs (such as North to GC) was the severe backlash from the club and supporters. Brayshaws mob got in on a ticket of refusing to relocate and without the clubs support the AFL had no power to shift them.

Fitzroy did the same in the 80s and how did that work out?

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
That’s the thing, the attendances have only been boosted since the move to Adelaide oval, we do not have the luxury and nostalgia of playing at a Newley redeveloped stadium. Before the move port were dire straights! All ports handouts and such won’t ever get brought up because it’s a two team town and they wouldn’t want to upset the fictitious history believers!

Nah. Our memberships increased in 2012 and then further again 2013 (the last year at Football Park)
Playing football in the middle of the city, with access to public transport is advantageous but you've had that benefit for years.
Oh you dont like Etihad though because reasons.
Funny how you turned this into a discussion about Port. Your bias is clearly showing.

Is this Gil doing old mate Lethers a favour?

He knows the stadium deal is done, knows Moorabbin is done, and knows the Saints are in the rise.

Is he setting up Lethers to be the hero that rocked up and saved the day?

Yes, but not in that way.

As seen in this thread, there is a substantial number with the opinion that because St Kilda has been around forever, they'll always be there. Gil's providing a kick up the arse to such people by letting them know that unless they get moving, they wont be.

and Lethlean will be there to welcome (and claim credit for) those shaken out of their complacency...

(and of course if it does go **** up, he can point to this to show that it was rotten before he got there...)

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
When? The only thing that stopped them relocating clubs (such as North to GC) was the severe backlash from the club and supporters. Brayshaws mob got in on a ticket of refusing to relocate and without the clubs support the AFL had no power to shift them.

Fitzroy did the same in the 80s and how did that work out?
How many clubs have folded, merged or relocated in the past 20 years?

PaddysurDaddy

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
you fools, gil's just posturing, right now he's on the phone organising for a spa to be installed into jack steven's man cave

Back