News St Kilda to play Port Adelaide in China next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as I'm one of the few Asian people who follows the saints(i don't think I've seen any others in 30yrs), i feel I'm dutybound to support this. :sweatsmile:

I'm not too thrilled from an on-field perspective, but since it's locked in for 3 yrs, heck, may as well support it. I'll definitely try to get there, and hopefully i can bring some friends from Hong Kong and Malaysia as well.

There are quite a few south asians that follow the Saints. I see Sri Lankans at games- there was a big bayside community around Bentleigh that might have bought them to us. I have seen people who look Malay as well, I have converted a few mainland Chinese and Hong Kong dwellers too. Hopefully a couple make the trip.

If I can swing it....I'll be there.

Was in Shanghai back in 2006....it was an eye popping city back then...….Being an architecture head,some of the building designs were incredible....can't help wonder what the place looks like now after the decade long boom China has experienced.

Where as Beijing is a history packed city...Shanghai is where new China collides with old China.

Down at the river,all the old colonial buildings line one side of the river...the Bund(thankfully they all never were demolished) and spectacular skyscrapers are on the other bank.

With the Saints playing there next year it's a great excuse to go there again.

It's absolutely fascinating being in a communist country that has a broad capitalist system.

I think Shanghai has 24 Million people....that time I was there I reckon I bumped into 10 million of them!

Where have the financials been reported?
Do you have the link?

The article said we expect $2 million over the 3 years plus what we can leverage from sponsorship.

If I can swing it....I'll be there.

Was in Shanghai back in 2006....it was an eye popping city back then...….Being an architecture head,some of the building designs were incredible....can't help wonder what the place looks like now after the decade long boom China has experienced.

Where as Beijing is a history packed city...Shanghai is where new China collides with old China.

Down at the river,all the old colonial buildings line one side of the river...the Bund(thankfully they all never were demolished) and spectacular skyscrapers are on the other bank.

With the Saints playing there next year it's a great excuse to go there again.

It's absolutely fascinating being in a communist country that has a broad capitalist system.

I think Shanghai has 24 Million people....that time I was there I reckon I bumped into 10 million of them!

I didn't know you were an architect Watto, if I had my time again I'd have been an architect. Are you in practice or a teacher?

My great grandfather went on a world trip in the 1920s and kept a diary. Him and his brother wrote about their time there, it was a pretty wild place back then, it was a proper international city of the jazz age.

Last edited:
I didn't know you were an architect Watto, if I had my time again I'd have ben an architect. Are you in practice or a teacher?

My great grandfather went on a world trip in the 1920s and kept a diary. Him and his brother wrote about there time there, it was a pretty wild place back then, it was a proper international city of the jazz age.

Just do it bra

2013. Broke and rebuilding. Go to NZ for the cash.

2019. Broke and rebuilding. Go to China for the cash.

Totally different scenarios but I reckon we'd not have gone near it if we were more solvent and hadnt had a shocker last year

Will definitely go one of the years though
If only we had some sort of method to be rich and rebuilding.

The article said we expect $2 million over the 3 years plus what we can leverage from sponsorship.
Geez that's a bit poxy. If it was 2 mill a game I'd be a bit more happy about it.

Just do it bra

My wife was a lawyer and decided to do psych so she's about 5 years into study and about to do another 2 years and I can't adjust my lifestyle to a sensible level for a single income. I'm stuck where I am and then I'll be too old for any one to believe I could design anything. I have a mate who's an architect and he hates it and talked me out of it last time I wanted to do it too.

If only we had some sort of method to be rich and rebuilding.

Geez that's a bit poxy. If it was 2 mill a game I'd be a bit more happy about it.

At the moment that's about 2 years of gate takings. No-one turns up.

I didn't know you were an architect Watto, if I had my time again I'd have ben an architect. Are you in practice or a teacher?
gringo....I wish I did become an architect....that's the one that "got away"

Back in my HSC days.....you had to do Physics and Chemistry as part of the lead into for architecture...….well....that was the end of that career...lol.

So I'm just an observer with passion on great building design and also town planning/urban design.

That's why those on here who do get to Shanghai.....the place will knock your socks off!

You have to think big and be very practical with design with a city that size.

And also...the train from the airport(The Maglev) goes 430 MPH......it's absolutely amazing......you gotta stay seated!!!!!!

I'd read that it goes 400 MPH...….I look up at the speed indicator and we're going 420 MPH....I was absolutely crapping myself thinking "what's gone wrong....are we going to crash"

LOL !

gringo....I wish I did become an architect....that's the one that "got away"

Back in my HSC days.....you had to do Physics and Chemistry as part of the lead into for architecture...….well....that was the end of that career...lol.

So I'm just an observer with passion on great building design and also town planning/urban design.

That's why those on here who do get to Shanghai.....the place will knock your socks off!

You have to think big and be very practical with design with a city that size.

And also...the train from the airport(The Maglev) goes 430 MPH......it's absolutely amazing......you gotta stay seated!!!!!!

I'd read that it goes 400 MPH...….I look up at the speed indicator and we're going 420 MPH....I was absolutely crapping myself thinking "what's gone wrong....are we going to crash"

LOL !

I read a book by Paul Theroux where he talks about being in Shanghai in the 90s, and it sounds like it was just taking off around that time with a massive infrastructure and building program. It would have been pretty cool to see the worlds collide. My wife spent some time in China around the time you were there for work (mostly Beijing) that sounded like every time you'd go back things would be completely transformed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not having to go to a game is a bonus, just a shame they give us another one.

I’m sure it’s not your objective, but jeez you make me laugh. :D
You’ve got pessimism down to a fine art.

Cheer up, a new season is on the way, and it WILL be better than the last one.

I didn't know you were an architect Watto, if I had my time again I'd have been an architect. Are you in practice or a teacher?

My great grandfather went on a world trip in the 1920s and kept a diary. Him and his brother wrote about their time there, it was a pretty wild place back then, it was a proper international city of the jazz age.
that would be fantastic !!!
my father was a tour manager for a period during the 60's around europe and north america .. when i see the old photos of that era of travel it fascinates me to have something from the 20's wow thats incredible ...

I had a few days there at the start of this month. I spoke freely. Only my wife told me to shut up, but she’s done that all over the world.

A great city with some really interesting history. Well worth a visit.
I went to china in 2015 for 3 weeks. We had a wonderful time. We did it all ourselves. It was great. If you go out of the way places not much english is spoken.

Great food. Make sure you use something other than Google, gmail as it wont get through

my father was a tour manager for a period during the 60's around europe and north america .. when i see the old photos of that era of travel it fascinates me to have something from the 20's wow thats incredible ...

Yeah they went to Paris, New York, Cairo, London, Shanghai and Rome and lots of ports in between. Back in those days you went in blind, you still got culture shock. He spent like 18 months or something insane. He left the family behind and took off, it sounded like they were pretty out of control ...and all by steamer ship which was still pretty slow by the time frames. He owned a farm in Australia so to go from that to see the world must have been awesome.

I went to Hong Kong a couple of years ago. Have a photo thing from Mount Victoria, and it has the view from the 50's or 60's on the back. Incredible change. The world where Jackie Chan grew up is a different world.

This is what it’s about. Nothing much else - and so what? Thank god Matt has worked his backside to find another avenue for income. Bloody good on him. It’s one game..
That’s all..

The really big bonus is the sponsorship opportunity. We have a great colour scheme for China, Victorian origin which have been linked to China since the 1850s and a real open chance for major corporations to buy in to sponsorship. Imagine if as great as Pepper and Dare are we instead get someone like Huawei or another big Chinese firm who want to make inroads into the Australian market. We are talking our first massive sponsorship deal. China is unique in that they have money and products and a want to sell them in the Aussie market and want to change perception. Hopefully they spend up big.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back