News St Kilda to play Port Adelaide in China next year

Remove this Banner Ad

It's actually pretty cheap to get there, can do it for about $600 if you go Friday come back Monday. Singapore airlines, pretty interesting city too. I might have to see if I can get the wife to let me go. Hopefully we are s**t next year so the kids don't want to come as well, that will make it not so cheap.

Gold Coast making a lot of noise about the trip taking it out of them and then them losing the next 7 games after.

Reckon that’s more to do with them being absolute shizenhausen than tired.

Port narrowly lost to the Hawks in Melbourne 64-61 after the China game then won the next 5 against Richmond, Dogs and Melbourne (all in Adelaide but not easy games), Carlton (in Melb) and then against us in Adelaide.

Hopefully we get a nice block of home fixtures after it too.

Last edited:
It's actually pretty cheap to get there, can do it for about $600 if you go Friday come back Monday. Singapore airlines, pretty interesting city too. I might have to see if I can get the wife to let me go. Hopefully we are s**t next year so the kids don't want to come as well, that will make it not so cheap.
$478 with China Southern via Guangzhou or $776 direct with China Eastern.
https://www.momondo.com.au/flight-search/MEL-SHA,nearby/2019-05-31/2019-06-03

The really big bonus is the sponsorship opportunity. We have a great colour scheme for China, Victorian origin which have been linked to China since the 1850s and a real open chance for major corporations to buy in to sponsorship. Imagine if as great as Pepper and Dare are we instead get someone like Huawei or another big Chinese firm who want to make inroads into the Australian market. We are talking our first massive sponsorship deal. China is unique in that they have money and products and a want to sell them in the Aussie market and want to change perception. Hopefully they spend up big.

We need to talk to the baby formula companies.

One way i suppose?

$600 return on Singapore, don't fly on those Chinese airlines. They are rubbish....unless they sponsor us and then they are awesome.

We need to talk to the baby formula companies.

They don't need advertising. Unless we get the ones that make it using leaded paint in China. They need all the help they can get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you must be fantastic to do business with ....
you dont get anywhere in the AFL by telling clubs to get f**ked .... especially a smaller club like ours we leverage a strong relationship with all the clubs to benefit our club ... we work together with clubs for a common goal ... it would surprise you that most clubs are the same they tend not to tell eachother to F**k off
Ok , politely remind them that it’s our home game so we will wear our home jumper . If we’re there why not promote our own brand ?
And then tell our mates that we told them to f#&k off .

This is what it’s about. Nothing much else - and so what? Thank god Matt has worked his backside to find another avenue for income. Bloody good on him. It’s one game..
That’s all..
Even tho the eyes were taken off the football dept....you have to give Matt credit....big credit for all the commercial things that he and his team have put in place.

IMO...you certainly can't fault that.

I might be tempted to go. Lived in Hong Kong for a few years, and my Mum and Dad were there for 20 years. I was involved in the HK Cricket Club and back in the day there was a fixture each year between the HK and Shanghai Cricket Clubs. The Hong Kong team went up there one year, played the game, and were coming back by ship. They were caught in a typhoon, ship sank, nearly all lost.

Just hope it's not an omen!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Bokhara

i765mt.jpg

Even tho the eyes were taken off the football dept....you have to give Matt credit....big credit for all the commercial things that he and his team have put in place.

IMO...you certainly can't fault that.
Have noticed a few people trying to give Lethlean the credit. Finnis has been quite invisible of late, but I'm sure he had a fair bit to do with this. Well done in my view.

Have noticed a few people trying to give Lethlean the credit. Finnis has been quite invisible of late, but I'm sure he had a fair bit to do with this. Well done in my view.
Agree there Verdun66...….you can imagine the amount of negotiations involved with getting this over the line....the State govt....AFL…..Port Adelaide and various other bodies.

That's maybe why he's been a bit invisible despite so much going on with the club.

I can't help but wonder how long ago all of this got underway...…….I certainly raised my eyebrows when it was reported that Peter Summers was at the game day lunch at this years game in Shanghai.

You can just imagine the amount of negotiations that were done with the deal to get back to Moorabbin.....they would have been monumental.

Ok , politely remind them that it’s our home game so we will wear our home jumper . If we’re there why not promote our own brand ?
And then tell our mates that we told them to f#&k off .

We’ll be wearing our home jumper. Port don’t care according to newspaper reports.

[After a brouhaha between Port and the Suns over Gold Coast's right to wear their home jumper, Thomas said those issues had already been ironed out with the Saints.

"When we first started thinking about China we were quite unsure about what was important and what wasn't important. We knew the colour red was very significant in the Chinese culture. But it's not that significant," he said.

Advertisement

"We have no issue at all with St Kilda having the home guernsey. We'll design our own guernsey for the occasion ... with just a subtle reference to China."]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back