Review St Kilda v Carlton Rd 8 2017 post match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to have to get used to teams coming at us for Carlton this was a chance to define their season
They targeted players like Roberton and match ups like Longer vs Kreuzer got likely with Webster going down and tried to minimise our pressure game good plan we just had too much talent
I think if webster didn't go down, he would of taken pressure off Roberton by being another outlet from defence.

This week is huge. Win this one and the worst we can be at the half way stage is 6-5. It virtually gives us a free hit against the Dogs and the Crows. If we lose this week then we will have to pull off an upset against those other two to get our season back on track.

Three weeks ago I would've rated our chances against the Swans as 80/20 but right now with their improved form and some more good players coming back it's not much better than 50/50. As I said it's huge.

.is it just me or is Dunstall anti St Kilda during the game ? He kept pointing out things Carlton were doing right but never anything Saints did right . When the Saints fans started booing Murphy he just came out and said he had done nothing wrong with out even checking the tape. He obviously hates the Saints and their fans .

Last edited:
I just re watched the game.. every time I go I like to do it because as we all know you see some things on TV you miss at the game.

Some of the major things I noticed at the game
- Dunstan whilst getting a lot of it didn't seem to have much influence if any.
- Weller was poor.
- Bruce whilst his effort cannot be questioned is lacking polish which has carried on from last year
- Ross improves every week. poised, tough and a great decision maker

After re watching it most of these were confirmed.
- Dunstan had very little impact, I hardly noticed him.
- Weller was also quiet and IMO he needs to do more to hold his spot. Has had one very good game this year.. that's it.
- I love Baroooseee and think he is in our best side but I would not be upset if he goes back to the VFL for a few weeks to get his confidence up and start clunking them. He has great hops and gets himself in great positions but just can't seem to hold them ATM. Not calling for him to be dropped but it wouldn't be the worst thing.
- Acres is growing in confidence every week. Love watching him stride away from opponents! It's a great site!
- Steven and Roo are stars but I think it is possible that Seb Ross will become our best player by the end of the season.. It has just clicked for Seb. Such a smart player... he is breaking games open now (sneaky chance for the brownlow)
- Newnes seemed to play with alot more freedom than any other game this year. More of that please.
- And Billings! More of that please!

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I loved beating these horrible scumbaggers, their club is a joke and has been for years. Their fans puff themselves up thinking they're merely a couple of years behind our rebuild, like it's a queue for the checkout. Newsflash Wavy Blues; you have been ******* up rebuilds since the turn of the century, what makes you think you won't fail again? Try not to sack your coach just before he gets you into finals and appoint another hasbeen.

Your club's character has always been tainted and now you're not allowed to rort the system you'll be forever stuck in irrelevence. If the AFL had any guts, they'd merge you with North Melbourne and give you both a fighting chance.

I think it is possible that Seb Ross will become our best player by the end of the season.. It has just clicked for Seb. Such a smart player... he is breaking games open now (sneaky chance for the brownlow)
I keep thinking back to Watters comparing him to Pendles during his first preseason. you can definitely see it. so much composure

.is it just me or is Dunstall anti St Kilda during the game ? He kept pointing out things Carlton were doing right but never anything Saints did right . When the Saints fans started booing Murphy he just came out and said he had done nothing wrong with out even checking the tape. He obviously hates the Saints and their fans .
Hello!!

Something I've been observing for years now. He's an opposition supporter in the commentary box. I think it goes back to playing days and his mate Spud Frawley, he just hates the Saints.

I loved beating these horrible scumbaggers, their club is a joke and has been for years. Their fans puff themselves up thinking they're merely a couple of years behind our rebuild, like it's a queue for the checkout. Newsflash Wavy Blues; you have been ******* up rebuilds since the turn of the century, what makes you think you won't fail again? Try not to sack your coach just before he gets you into finals and appoint another hasbeen.

Your club's character has always been tainted and now you're not allowed to rort the system you'll be forever stuck in irrelevence. If the AFL had any guts, they'd merge you with North Melbourne and give you both a fighting chance.

Agree with the merger idea, the North Melbourne Kangaroos has a good ring to it.

Agree with the merger idea, the North Melbourne Kangaroos has a good ring to it.
LOL! I'd be happy to see them swallowed up by North too, the ultimate shame.

But actually, Carlton Kangaroos is very catchy, Carlton's navy blue jumper with a white kangaroo, or be bold and have two shades of blue, Navy and baby blue as compromise between white and royal blue. Toss a coin for which club song. It gets rid of the tricky problem of having to make a mascot out of an adjective. Next stage; merging Essendon with Melbourne; Essendon Demons, Dark Blue guernsey with Red Sash.

You're welcome AFL.

It's like Carlton have overlaid one rebuild of 8-10 years ago with another recently. They got Murphy, Gibbs, Kruezer etc years back, then have a recent batch. Not much in the middle as you say. And not every pick works.

I'm Bewildered as Carlton have been rebuilding for at least the last 15 years. They need to have a long hard look at the recruiting choices they have made and stop making excuses. It does not matter how you lose, you still lose and until they start winning they should stop getting full of themselves. There is no grey in the results, you win= good, lose = s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm Bewildered as Carlton have been rebuilding for at least the last 15 years. They need to have a long hard look at the recruiting choices they have made and stop making excuses. It does not matter how you lose, you still lose and until they start winning they should stop getting full of themselves. There is no grey in the results, you win= good, lose = s**t.

Carlton's Rebuild:
2005. Murphy and Josh Kennedy.
2006. Gibbs, and Hampson. Slow burn on Gibbs, Hampson not such a good thing.
2007. Kreuzer. - 2 draft picks and Kennedy for Judd.

2008. Yarran was a bad pick. Their second rounder was traded for Warnock who turned out to be a dud.
2009. Failed to find any talent in the draft and gave up a first rounder for Brock McLean ( Delusional about their ability and the progress in their rebuild ). Lucky to get Henderson for Fev.
2010. Failed to find any talent in the draft.
2011. Bootsma and Rowe in the draft where Saints got players Ross and Webster.
2012. Troy Menzel.. Saints start to rebuild their spine with Tom Hickey and not so promising Tom Lee.
2013. Carlton start to rebuild their rebuild or were they? Losing Betts and Hampson and getting in Everitt , Docherty, and Thomas they are ready for their next shot at the flag. They get an excellent Judd replacement in Cripps. Meanwhile Saints continue to build their future spine with Bruce and Longer.
2014. Deciding that their goalkicking prowess without Betts was too formidable , they get rid of Waite and Garlett and get in Liam Jones. Their first rounder ( pick 7 ) went on gun player Jacksch. While the Saints went for future bookends Goddard and McCartin, the Blues went for the formidable Boekhorst.
Seriously their 2014 is hilarious. Jacksch and Boekhorst instead of Ahern , Lever, or Weller and Goddard. But i guess they needed someone ready to go for their shot at the flag.
2015. Number 1 draft pick again. Weitering.

So its gone full cycle.
Mark Murphy is 29. Only his twilight years remain and his team is languishing on the bottom.
Hampson went to Richmond and suddenly began to play well.
Gibbs is 28 and he wants to go home to be close to his family, and probably to play for a good team. Either one would do.
Kreuzer is 27. He's good in the ruck and the forward line. If he plays in the Ruck they have no forward , if he plays forward they have no Ruck. I think he's a free agent end of year.
Judd has retired.
Chris Yarran had health issues.
Warnock hardly played.
Henderson moved on.
Bootsma turned out to be a flog.
Menzel moved on.

The team we recently beat.
Plowman - Good young, but undersized defender poached from GWS.
Rowe - 30YO big guy. He's quite tall , definitely big.
Silvagni - 29YO who played for the Scorpions when they were affiliated with StKilda, eventually drafted , then desisted, then picked up cos Blues like Silvagni's
Simpson - Gun , but 33 years old, came in too late for the old glory then had to suffer through an entire career of lacklustre crap.
Marchbank - Good player , another defender poached from GWS.
Williamson - 4th round 2016 draft, they might be lucky.
Docherty - Is good.
Cripps - Midfield Beast
Wright -27 year old , Carlton use words like "hard worker" and "run with" to describe him.
Petrevski-Seton will probably be good.
Casboult , they could have kept Josh Kennedy. You don't get a player like him from the rookie draft.
Curnow Another hard working rookie type.
Weitering. Should be very good
Daisy . LOL Playing like mad to try to get enough games this year to trigger his contract for next year so he can relax again.
Kreuzer and Gibbs.
Murphy. No wonder he has no sense of humour.
Graham. Sort of like how Ross played several seasons before he became a gun, Graham took several seasons before he became average.
Fisher and Silvagni. Noobs, but the AFL told them they need to play 22 players and they weren't going to pick Boekhorst.

Carlton's Rebuild:
Sensational summary there SS....very detailed and very informative.

I was surprised that they had 12 of their team last Sat that were 28 or over...as one poster pointed out.

They appear to have the problem we had in 2014.....a lot of older players....a lot of younger players with not a lot in the middle.

Sensational summary there SS....very detailed and very informative.

I was surprised that they had 12 of their team last Sat that were 28 or over...as one poster pointed out.

They appear to have the problem we had in 2014.....a lot of older players....a lot of younger players with not a lot in the middle.

If they had kept Kennedy plus got two decent players with those picks they gave for Judd they would be doing heaps better now. With Kennedy in their team they wouldn't be so defensive. And who knows who they might have got with those two draft picks.

Anyone know what their highest finish was with Judd ?

Sent via HAL

During the trade period when Gibbs asked for a trade to Adelaide, I tweeted the Carlton FC saying they should ask for Betts in return cause he is a gun!

I didn't get any likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL! I'd be happy to see them swallowed up by North too, the ultimate shame.

But actually, Carlton Kangaroos is very catchy, Carlton's navy blue jumper with a white kangaroo, or be bold and have two shades of blue, Navy and baby blue as compromise between white and royal blue. Toss a coin for which club song. It gets rid of the tricky problem of having to make a mascot out of an adjective. Next stage; merging Essendon with Melbourne; Essendon Demons, Dark Blue guernsey with Red Sash.

You're welcome AFL.
Pretty sure Carlton owned shares in Norf at one stage.

Replay is on Fox really should head out and do 3 more lawns.
God Jakey has a good set of hands.

Carlton's Rebuild:

2008. Yarran was a bad pick. Their second rounder was traded for Warnock who turned out to be a dud.
2009. Failed to find any talent in the draft and gave up a first rounder for Brock McLean ( Delusional about their ability and the progress in their rebuild ). Lucky to get Henderson for Fev.
2010. Failed to find any talent in the draft.
2011. Bootsma and Rowe in the draft where Saints got players Ross and Webster.
2012. Troy Menzel.. Saints start to rebuild their spine with Tom Hickey and not so promising Tom Lee.
2013. Carlton start to rebuild their rebuild or were they? Losing Betts and Hampson and getting in Everitt , Docherty, and Thomas they are ready for their next shot at the flag. They get an excellent Judd replacement in Cripps. Meanwhile Saints continue to build their future spine with Bruce and Longer.
2014. Deciding that their goalkicking prowess without Betts was too formidable , they get rid of Waite and Garlett and get in Liam Jones. Their first rounder ( pick 7 ) went on gun player Jacksch. While the Saints went for future bookends Goddard and McCartin, the Blues went for the formidable Boekhorst.
Seriously their 2014 is hilarious. Jacksch and Boekhorst instead of Ahern , Lever, or Weller and Goddard. But i guess they needed someone ready to go for their shot at the flag.
2015. Number 1 draft pick again. Weitering.

So its gone full cycle.
Mark Murphy is 29. Only his twilight years remain and his team is languishing on the bottom.
Hampson went to Richmond and suddenly began to play well.
Gibbs is 28 and he wants to go home to be close to his family, and probably to play for a good team. Either one would do.
Kreuzer is 27. He's good in the ruck and the forward line. If he plays in the Ruck they have no forward , if he plays forward they have no Ruck. I think he's a free agent end of year.
Judd has retired.
Chris Yarran had health issues.
Warnock hardly played.
Henderson moved on.
Bootsma turned out to be a flog.
Menzel moved on.

The team we recently beat.
Plowman - Good young, but undersized defender poached from GWS.
Rowe - 30YO big guy. He's quite tall , definitely big.
Silvagni - 29YO who played for the Scorpions when they were affiliated with StKilda, eventually drafted , then desisted, then picked up cos Blues like Silvagni's
Simpson - Gun , but 33 years old, came in too late for the old glory then had to suffer through an entire career of lacklustre crap.
Marchbank - Good player , another defender poached from GWS.
Williamson - 4th round 2016 draft, they might be lucky.
Docherty - Is good.
Cripps - Midfield Beast
Wright -27 year old , Carlton use words like "hard worker" and "run with" to describe him.
Petrevski-Seton will probably be good.
Casboult , they could have kept Josh Kennedy. You don't get a player like him from the rookie draft.
Curnow Another hard working rookie type.
Weitering. Should be very good
Daisy . LOL Playing like mad to try to get enough games this year to trigger his contract for next year so he can relax again.
Kreuzer and Gibbs.
Murphy. No wonder he has no sense of humour.
Graham. Sort of like how Ross played several seasons before he became a gun, Graham took several seasons before he became average.
Fisher and Silvagni. Noobs, but the AFL told them they need to play 22 players and they weren't going to pick Boekhorst.
Daisy went to the club and asked for that to be removed. So his contract ends this year, there is no longer a trigger. The years before Bolton weren't a 'rebuild' they were just plain s**t and horrendous and lost in the wilderness like. Our rebuild only started end of 2015 because I think thats the first time someone important at the club realised thats how the 'new' draft system requires a club to get back up the ladder... So yeah - the 2000's - 2015 are some of the most s**t poor years by any football club ever. The best thing about it though is that the people involved with that recruiting and strategy are no longer making decisions at this club. Also - Fisher is exciting but we all learnt he has no right foot on the weekend :drunk:. Have liked the look of Seb Ross for a while now and he certainly seems to be improving quite rapidly. Certainly like the look of your midfield group but whats the general consensus on your spine/ forward line. Longer doesn't seem to get hold of the pill too much and I'm not overly sure what the opinions of Membrey and Bruce are over here?

Its a spud frawley love hate thing.

Daisy went to the club and asked for that to be removed. So his contract ends this year, there is no longer a trigger. The years before Bolton weren't a 'rebuild' they were just plain s**t and horrendous and lost in the wilderness like. Our rebuild only started end of 2015 because I think thats the first time someone important at the club realised thats how the 'new' draft system requires a club to get back up the ladder... So yeah - the 2000's - 2015 are some of the most s**t poor years by any football club ever. The best thing about it though is that the people involved with that recruiting and strategy are no longer making decisions at this club. Also - Fisher is exciting but we all learnt he has no right foot on the weekend :drunk:. Have liked the look of Seb Ross for a while now and he certainly seems to be improving quite rapidly. Certainly like the look of your midfield group but whats the general consensus on your spine/ forward line. Longer doesn't seem to get hold of the pill too much and I'm not overly sure what the opinions of Membrey and Bruce are over here?
Haven't read all your post as I'm in a rush, but I have read the last couple of sentences and one thing I'll point out is that Membrey is 3rd in the comp for contested marks this year and top 20 for marks inside 50 and score involvements, as well. Has been a bit inaccurate this year though for him, so that's why he doesn't have more goals.

Plenty expected of Hugh Goddard to partner Carlisle down back and we have key forward options coming out our ears.

Last edited:
Haven't read all your post as I'm in a rush, but I have read the last couple of sentences and one thing I'll point out is that Membrey is 3rd in the comp for contested marks this year and I think I might have heard/read a week or two ago that he's very high (maybe even no.1) for marks inside 50, as well. Is also ranked in the top 20 for score involvements. Has been a bit inaccurate this year though for him, so that's why he doesn't have more goals.

Plenty expected of Hugh Goddard to partner Carlisle down back and we have key forward options coming out our ears.

I have been up in level 3 a couple of times this year and Memebery is getting a lot more time running up field this year. He was staying a bit closer to goal last year but like Bruce he's expected to get back to sure up the defence, run and create options as the team brings the ball up then sprint forward to create a marking target.

I have been up in level 3 a couple of times this year and Memebery is getting a lot more time running up field this year. He was staying a bit closer to goal last year but like Bruce he's expected to get back to sure up the defence, run and create options as the team brings the ball up then sprint forward to create a marking target.

Membrey is amongst the highest number of contested marks in the AFL, certainly the best below 190 cm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back