Review St Kilda v Fremantle Rd 10 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Very high intensity game. Great part of the learning curve for the young fellas especially but also the team as a whole. Maybe as supporters we need to have a bit more faith.

Freo showed in the 2 middle quarters why this was a danger game. Make no mistake, those 2 quarters weren't about us being bad, it was about them doing what they and Ross Lyon teams do best. We just couldn't go with them and that's understandable: they got a massive rocket at quarter time.

To our credit we thought our way through their pressure in the last. This win is better than it looks, a very pleasing effort in the end.

Very special mention to Gresham. That "balls of steel" handball in the last quarter that set up a goal was easily the biggest play of the match. We were struggling then but he had the courage and the creativity to see that opening and go for it. It is just great to see a young bloke do that in a big moment in the game and lift his teammates.

Though it's always nice to beat Fremantle, we should absolutely not let the excellent last quarter wash away the sins of the putrid second and third quarters.

Four quarter effort a must next week or it'll get very ugly.

Very good first quarter, then as expected from a side that has been given a roast like the one Lyon gave, Freo lifted. Our boys although looking to be in a little bit in trouble, managed to absorb Freos pressure & came home hard to take the points. Once we do get going, by golly, by gosh, by jingo we do look good , our three pronged attack is exciting & what about "The Gresh" did some excellent things along with 98% of the team. Happy to be a Saints supporter. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo showed in the 2 middle quarters why this was a danger game. Make no mistake, those 2 quarters weren't about us being bad, it was about them doing what they and Ross Lyon teams do best. We just couldn't go with them and that's understandable: they got a massive rocket at quarter time.

To our credit we thought our way through their pressure in the last. This win is better than it looks, a very pleasing effort in the end.

Very special mention to Gresham. That "balls of steel" handball in the last quarter that set up a goal was easily the biggest play of the match. We were struggling then but he had the courage and the creativity to see that opening and go for it. It is just great to see a young bloke do that in a big moment in the game and lift his teammates.

You are a positive man ....afl online ain't

Think Petrraca will be a great player and I hope he is, But I'm so glad we have Paddy, some of his stuff tonight was so GOOD

St Kilda, all i wanna say is
1416410373_.jpg

How many goals has Tim kicked since coming into team

Gresham showed a LOT, Paddy.. Wow he had a great game. His mark early on was unbelievable. The way he tracked the ball and brought it back one handed whilst falling just showed how good he can be. Give him 3 years... I think he's going to be a really big deal.
Bruce found a way back into the game after going missing for most of the first half. Geez we copped it after the first quarter. Riewoldt was great, I love it when he leaves the forward line, what a fantastic move by Richo. Membrey, awesome. We got him for essentially nothing and he has already paid us back for it. Great pickup.
Armitage was good, tackling all day. This was a tough game of footy, amazing to see the tackle counts.
My man Jack Steven was reliably good. Geez he runs hard, the way he runs just constantly reminds me of the way Harves used to play. When Jack Steven gets the ball and puts on the afterburners, he is so quick.

I'm loving Weller this year, Fisher was vital and Hickey in the ruck is good. Hickey has impressed me this year.

How good was Murdochs goal?

Rambled on a fair bit, I know we only beat a lowly Freo, but the boys showed a bit. They stood up when the going got tough.

"Paddy McCartin's the player we're going to pick," Tony Elshaug began. "After much deliberation and debate about who's going to be the best player for the next 12 years and the best player for St Kilda, Paddy's the man. He ticks all the boxes, we feel. He has power, he's aggressive, he has strong character and he's a natural forward. He knows where to lead and when to lead. He splits packs open and brings the ball to ground when he doesn't mark it. He's a great team player and he's unselfish when he gets the ball. He used to be an inconsistent set shot but he's worked hard and improved that and it's just going to keep getting better. His kicking in the field is very good. He has strong character. Everything about him stands up, so he's the one we're going with."

Trout.

Great fightback by the boys.

Don't mind those grinding wins, should hold us in good stead.

4 quarter effort a must next week, as some have eluded to already.

Very exciting to see Gresh & Paddy do their thing aswell, great signs!

I remember back when we used to have to watch Ross Lyon footy every week. How painful was it.

McCartin is great fun to watch, plays really interesting and effective footy. Same with Gresh. Both of them bring something you don't see every day, real creativity with or without the footy. I think Billings, Lonie and Sinclair could be similar. Get them all fit and firing and our forward half will look pretty dangerous.

Negatives are the midfield generally. This showed again how little depth we have in there. Steven was good, Armo was good eventually, Ross was good if a bit quieter. But then no-one really popped up at all under that. Dunstan, Newnes, Weller, etc - all pretty quiet as they are most weeks. And it's not like there are superstar options in the twos waiting for a go.

So I'm pretty worried about how we're going to pick up enough top midfield talent to compete with the good ones.

How many goals has Tim kicked since coming into team

He would actually be 2nd in the goal kicking for the Bulldogs !!

I said that last week was the lwast impressive 8 goal win I had seen. Well this was the least impressive 6 goal win ive ever seen. Its a great thing and a poor thing that we are winning games playing a total of 30 minutes decent football but ill take it at this point. We are clearly a couple of A grade mids off the pack and we need some more work on game day tactics for when things arent going right. It was basically a massive lift in effort that won us the game but against a better side we wont get that chance to turn the tide through force of will.

Paddy McCartin is a beast and Membrey is going to destroy some teams as a 3rd tall.

If we can nail the draft, maybe grab a Brad Crouch for a future pick, and we should be much better.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back