Autopsy St.Kilda v North Melbourne - Practice Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Nth will end up in Tassie , they have picked the worst time to be re- building.
Sorry but that's not right.
Firstly they didn't pick a time, in fact they delayed it as long a possible, and had they done it 2 years ago people would be bagging them just the same. As so far as rebuilds go, we're in no position to throw stones either.
North have no debt, and a very good group of young players who've already got a bunch of games under their belt.

They are in a far far better position than we were before Lethers saved our collective bacon.

Firstly they didn't pick a time, in fact they delayed it as long a possible, and had they done it 2 years ago people would be bagging them just the same. As so far as rebuilds go, we're in no position to throw stones either.
North have no debt, and a very good group of young players who've already got a bunch of games under their belt.

They are in a far far better position than we were before Lethers saved our collective bacon.

Why do people keep mentioning debt? It is one side of the Balance Sheet.

Quick everybody sell your house so you have no debt.

My local footy club has no debt so obviously better off than St.Kilda

It is as fatuous as when people cream themselves over a million $ profit.

Micronesia has a small debt so obviously more powerful than the US.

Debt is good if used correctly. Almost all is capital debt. Maybe we should have stayed at Seaford so our debt looked good.

Debt is good if used correctly. Almost all is capital debt. Maybe we should have stayed at Seaford so our debt looked good.

Because anyone who thinks debt is bad only thinks of debt collection stories...its just not the case at all

No debt with nothing to show for it. Not as good as it sounds.

There are limits though- it's not like being up to your eyeballs in "good debt" is exactly an enviable position, particularly while you are making yearly losses for most of a decade.

But I agree that our debt situation is nothing to worry about- but not because of the nature of the debt... but because of who we owe the money to.
The AFL!

We have simply borrowed heavily from the bank of mum and dad- a far better situation than being 10mill in the hole to a bank.

So long as we continue to show we are being responsible and upward trending on and off field- the league won't be pressuring us to pay down our debts with any urgency, just like how the bank of mum and dad have no interest in foreclosing on their kids.

We also have the benefit of our bank of mum and dad (the AFL) being a not for profit organisation.
This means that the league MUST plow all its money back into the game- meaning they are actively looking to spend their money.... in short, our bank of mum and dad are not tight with money, they throw it around and take risks with it because they are breaking taxation laws if they sit on it.

Of course, like everyone who borrows from the bank of mum and dad, the money they give/"loan" us comes with strings attached.
This means that if we were to continue to carry so much debt AND continue to post big losses on and off-field- they have a lot of power over us because we are deep in their pocket.

This would mean if the league in the future were REALLY pushed to look at a merger AND we weren't in good shape on and off-field- we would definitely be their number 1 target.

But the good news is we are trending upwards on and off-field, so that isn't the case currently... so happy days.

We definitely do need to wipe out our debt in the next ~5 years though to ensure we don't have a situation where we are on the downslope onfield AND still massively in debt.

We can ride out one of those two happening... but it would be dangerous to the survival of the club to let both occur at once from here on.

Saints Forward Line Mauls North Defence

1614308217560.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 25: Lachie Young of the Kangaroos is tackled by Max King of the Saints during the AFL Practice Match between the North Melbourne Kangaroos and the St Kilda Saints at Arden Street Ground on February 25, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Kelly Defina/Getty Images via AFL Photos)

Last edited:
I thought Wood was pretty solid for us both in terms of his run and positioning as well as set shot kicking. Has he always been solid in front of goal?

1614308293798.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 25: Mason Wood of the Saints kicks the ball during the AFL Practice Match between the North Melbourne Kangaroos and the St Kilda Saints at Arden Street Ground on February 25, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Kelly Defina/Getty Images via AFL Photos)

This guy. Looks like he is going to be huge for us again. According to Saints website:
Ryder was spotted running extra laps post-game as he builds his fitness to a level to carry more of the ruck load for the start of the season.

1614308460226.png 1614308703282.png

Battle was huge. Looks set to find another level this year.

1614308924288.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 25: Josh Battle of the Saints kicks the ball under pressure from Jack Ziebell of the Kangaroos and Robbie Tarrant of the Kangaroos during the AFL Practice Match between the North Melbourne Kangaroos and the St Kilda Saints at Arden Street Ground on February 25, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Kelly Defina/Getty Images via AFL Photos)

There should be a photo of this guy next to the word 'reliable' in the dictionary. I always thought lack of pace would expose him. But it turns out when you have a footy IQ through the roof you can get by just fine. Who would have thought?

1614310485056.png

1614310502119.png

How good is to see Webster smiling and in the tri-colours again?

1614310646923.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 25: Jimmy Webster of the Saints (L), Bradley Hill of the Saints and Jack Higgins of the Saints after their win during the AFL Practice Match between the North Melbourne Kangaroos and the St Kilda Saints at Arden Street Ground on February 25, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Kelly Defina/Getty Images via AFL Photos)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like a happy bunch.

1614310720656.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 25: Saints players look on after their win during the AFL Practice Match between the North Melbourne Kangaroos and the St Kilda Saints at Arden Street Ground on February 25, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Kelly Defina/Getty Images via AFL Photos)

All smalls lead to goal...shut down one, another is off the chain. Thought Lonie was very good. He seems settled and more considered when sending the ball in. I think it helps when he has options everywhere.

1614311263276.png

I think it just means that you're not in danger of having it called in, which "could" cause problems. I do understand what you're saying, I spent this whole morning with my account looking at restructuring my business's debt for as you say greater benefit.
However I still believe that for a club like North with let's say limited means of raising revenue, low debt levels help keep the wolves from the door for a time being at least.
As you say, it's only one side of the balance sheet, but if the other side of the sheet turns into a clusterfuk then it's better to have no debt...

I thought Long was pretty poor, apart from a few bumps, I don't think I noticed him. Webster was trying to out do him with aggression but as least had a few nice plays.

Long was also playing in the back pocket (taking Paton's position) and the ball simply did not get down his way that often. From what I saw when the ball was near him, he did ok.

This was also why Wilke had a quiet game.

Long was also playing in the back pocket (taking Paton's position) and the ball simply did not get down his way that often. From what I saw when the ball was near him, he did ok.

This was also why Wilke had a quiet game.

Whilst i agree i think Long gave away two (might have only been one) pretty silly free kick that led to a goal.

Cant do that as the deepest defender.

Saints Forward Line Mauls North Defence

View attachment 1065672

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 25: Lachie Young of the Kangaroos is tackled by Max King of the Saints during the AFL Practice Match between the North Melbourne Kangaroos and the St Kilda Saints at Arden Street Ground on February 25, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Kelly Defina/Getty Images via AFL Photos)
thats around the neck??? isn't it

There are limits though- it's not like being up to your eyeballs in "good debt" is exactly an enviable position, particularly while you are making yearly losses for most of a decade.

But I agree that our debt situation is nothing to worry about- but not because of the nature of the debt... but because of who we owe the money to.
The AFL!

We have simply borrowed heavily from the bank of mum and dad- a far better situation than being 10mill in the hole to a bank.

So long as we continue to show we are being responsible and upward trending on and off field- the league won't be pressuring us to pay down our debts with any urgency, just like how the bank of mum and dad have no interest in foreclosing on their kids.

We also have the benefit of our bank of mum and dad (the AFL) being a not for profit organisation.
This means that the league MUST plow all its money back into the game- meaning they are actively looking to spend their money.... in short, our bank of mum and dad are not tight with money, they throw it around and take risks with it because they are breaking taxation laws if they sit on it.

Of course, like everyone who borrows from the bank of mum and dad, the money they give/"loan" us comes with strings attached.
This means that if we were to continue to carry so much debt AND continue to post big losses on and off-field- they have a lot of power over us because we are deep in their pocket.

This would mean if the league in the future were REALLY pushed to look at a merger AND we weren't in good shape on and off-field- we would definitely be their number 1 target.

But the good news is we are trending upwards on and off-field, so that isn't the case currently... so happy days.

We definitely do need to wipe out our debt in the next ~5 years though to ensure we don't have a situation where we are on the downslope onfield AND still massively in debt.

We can ride out one of those two happening... but it would be dangerous to the survival of the club to let both occur at once from here on.
Considering we would have been the primary source of debt repayment at Etihad for the AFL and during that time they had little to no interest in giving us a fair deal whilst we were a prime time team - I couldn’t give a * that we owe the AFL millions.

They screwed us out of just as much, if not more and they didn’t give us a choice of playing home games there or at the G, unlike the golden knobs at Hawthorn who were kissed on the dick and legit brought into a positive cash flow whilst we got royally screwed over.

View attachment 1065701

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 25: Saints players look on after their win during the AFL Practice Match between the North Melbourne Kangaroos and the St Kilda Saints at Arden Street Ground on February 25, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Kelly Defina/Getty Images via AFL Photos)

winning by 90 points will leave anyone happy even if its a practice match

View attachment 1065701

All perspective I guess, but Highmore looks shorter than both Wilkie and Coffield there...

I think it just means that you're not in danger of having it called in, which "could" cause problems. I do understand what you're saying, I spent this whole morning with my account looking at restructuring my business's debt for as you say greater benefit.
However I still believe that for a club like North with let's say limited means of raising revenue, low debt levels help keep the wolves from the door for a time being at least.
As you say, it's only one side of the balance sheet, but if the other side of the sheet turns into a clusterfuk then it's better to have no debt...
Yeah, I am sure your accountant has told you cash flow is king.

Game now listed on youtube

Remove this Banner Ad

Back