Autopsy St.Kilda v North Melbourne - Practice Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Went through the replay and did my best to mark down the stats as accurate as I could. They aren't perfect but they should be pretty close (haven't found any other sources of stats, but if there are we'll be able to compare my efforts...)

By far the hardest to figure out were the clearances so take those numbers with a grain of salt, hard to tell who gets it most of the time but I did my best, and I probably forgot to pay attention to a bucnh of them too. On the eye test, North clearly beat us in the clearances though. Gresh and Jones back will help that big time.

For those interested.

DEFENDERS

Nick Coffield - 17 disposals (7k/10hb), 5 marks, 2 tackles, 1 inside 50, 3 rebound 50s
Jack Sinclair - 15 disposals (12k/3hb), 6 marks, 1 tackle, 5 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 goal assist
Dougal Howard - 13 disposals (8k/5hb), 1 mark, 1 inside 50, 7 rebound 50s
Callum Wilkie - 13 disposals (9k/4hb), 3 marks, 2 inside 50s, 6 rebound 50s, 1 intercept mark
Jimmy Webster - 12 disposals (7k/5hb), 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 inside 50, 3 rebound 50s
James Frawley - 9 disposals (8k/1hb), 1 mark, 1 tackle, 2 rebound 50s, 1 intercept mark
Ben Long - 8 disposals (5k/3hb), 4 marks, 3 tackles, 4 rebound 50s
Tom Highmore - 7 disposals (4k/3hb), 4 marks, 1 tackle, 1 rebound 50, 3 intercept marks
Dan McKenzie - 7 disposals (3k/4hb), 3 marks, 1 tackle

MIDFIELDERS

Hunter Clark - 22 disposals (10k/12hb), 4 marks, 4 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 intercept mark
Jack Billings - 22 disposals (14k/8hb), 10 marks, 2 tackles, 6 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50
Brad Hill - 21 disposals (15k/6hb), 4 marks, 3 tackles, 3 inside 50s, 6 rebound 50s
Jack Steele - 18 disposals (7k/11hb), 5 marks, 5 tackles, 3 inside 50s
Seb Ross - 17 disposals (5k/12hb), 1 mark, 5 tackles, 3 clearances, 1 inside 50, 1 rebound 50
Jack Bytel - 17 disposals (6k/11hb), 2 marks, 3 tackles, 2 clearances, 1 inside 50, 1 rebound 50, 2 goals
Brad Crouch - 14 disposals (6k/8b), 2 marks, 3 tackles, 2 clearances, 1 inside 50, 1 goal
Luke Dunstan - 4 disposals (3k/1hb), 1 mark, 1 tackle, 1 clearance

RUCKS

Paddy Ryder - 6 disposals (6k), 4 marks, 1 tackle, 3 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 22 hitouts, 1 goal assist, 1 goal
Paul Hunter - 4 disposals (2k/2hb), 1 mark, 1 tackle - didn't bother counting hitouts as there were so few, he looked undersized against North's ruck

FORWARDS

Jack Higgins - 18 disposals (12k/6hb), 5 marks, 2 tackles, 1 clearance, 5 inside 50s, 4 goal assists, 2 goals
Jack Lonie - 15 disposals (10k/5hb), 4 marks, 4 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal assist, 2 goals
Mason Wood - 14 disposals (11k/3hb), 8 marks, 1 tackle, 3 inside 50s, 1 goal assist, 2 intercept marks, 4 goals
Josh Battle - 13 disposals (12k/1hb), 5 marks, 3 tackles, 3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 3 goals
Tim Membrey - 13 disposals (10k/3hb), 7 marks, 4 inside 50s, 2 goals
Dan Butler - 11 disposals (5k/6hb), 3 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goal assists, 2 goals
Max King - 9 disposals (9k), 5 marks, 1 tackle, 3 inside 50s, 1 goal assist, 4 hitouts, 2 goals

Already seen our leading goalkickers so here's the leaders in the other stat categories below;

MOST DISPOSALS
=1. Jack Billings - 22
=1. Hunter Clark - 22
3. Bradley Hill - 21
=4. Jack Steele - 18
=4. Jack Higgins - 18

MOST MARKS
1. Jack Billings - 10
2. Mason Wood - 8
3. Tim Membrey - 7
4. Jack Sinclair - 6

MOST TACKLES
=1. Jack Steele - 5
=1. Seb Ross - 5
=3. Hunter Clark - 4
=3. Dan Butler - 4
=3. Jack Lonie - 4

MOST I50S
1. Jack Billings - 6
=2. Jack Higgins - 5
=2. Jack Sinclair - 5
=4. Jack Lonie - 4
=4. Tim Membrey - 4

MOST R50S
1. Dougal Howard - 7
=2. Bradley Hill - 6
=2. Callum Wilkie - 6
4. Ben Long - 4

GOAL ASSISTS
1. Jack Higgins - 4
2. Dan Butler - 2

INTERCEPT MARKS
1. Tom Highmore - 3
2. Mason Wood - 2

P.S - Before dislocating his finger in the first quarter, Bytel had 10 disposals, 2 marks and 2 goals 🔥
Great work mate

Epic effort mate

My big takeaway (not that anyone cares), is approx 65 disposals between Clark, Billings and Hill

If those three end up with 60-80 disposals a week, that will go a long, long way towards us winning a LOT of games. Battle, Members and King must love the quality of ball use there!
I don't know about how others feel. But I felt quite a few in the engine didn't really get going and seems to be just playing for a run.

For example steele. He can play much better than that but I doubt he's going to go hell for leather in a pre season smashing.

I don't know about how others feel. But I felt quite a few in the engine didn't really get going and seems to be just playing for a run.

For example steele. He can play much better than that but I doubt he's going to go hell for leather in a pre season smashing.
Apart from Bytel, the rest of the mids got lead to the ball a bit too much for my liking, and as we only won by a 20 goals or something against he North seconds, then that proves my point. Need to see a second praccie match before I can see how we are travelling.

Apart from Bytel, the rest of the mids got lead to the ball a bit too much for my liking, and as we only won by a 20 goals or something against he North seconds, then that proves my point. Need to see a second praccie match before I can see how we are travelling.
Wasn't Norths seconds, they were missing 6 top 22 players, and so were we.

If that was their seconds it was our seconds

On second viewing, we were definitely beaten easily in the clearances, much more than I thought at the time. It's not neccessarily a bad thing though. Our scoring was based mainly from transition, which is how the best teams do most of their work. Clearances can be important, and we'd want to improve them a bit (which I think we will with Jones and Gresham to come back in), but transiton from the back half is a much more sustainable method of scoring. That will be even more prevalent this year with the new man on the mark rule. Basically, we did get done easily at clearances but I'm not concerned.

Crouch had a pretty ordinary game. Paid closer attention to him this time and he was very fumbly. To be expected for the first hit out of the year and he did seem to still be getting to know the midfield structures and tap zones etc.

Clark was better than I thought. Involved in everything and used it better than I initially thought. Looked really good in midfield. Seb was good too. Exellent handballs on multiple occassions that opened the game up. I liked the role he played with a mix of midfield, wing and half back. Hill was terrific too, but the test for him will come when more attention is paid to him from the opposition in real matches.

Bytel was easily best on until his finger issue. Solid after he came back on, but it seemed to stop his momentum a bit. Overall though, he definitely put himself right in the mix for round one.

On second viewing, we were definitely beaten easily in the clearances, much more than I thought at the time. It's not neccessarily a bad thing though.

Richmond have been 17th, 18th, 17 & 13th for clearances since 2017.

They're not as important as they once were.

Richmond have been 17th, 18th, 17 & 13th for clearances since 2017.

They're not as important as they once were.
Was going to say exactly the same thing
Agree. But with one massive caveat. Richmond are a good enough midfield that they can just turn it on when they really want to.

In prelims and GF day (since 2017), Richmond have gone +12, +4, -6, +3, -8 (L), -3 & +6

And that is against some bloody good midfield units. Clearances might not be everything. But when the heat is on in finals, they matter.

17 other teams cant rely on being able to 'flick the switch' in big moments like Richmond can.

Agree. But with one massive caveat. Richmond are a good enough midfield that they can just turn it on when they really want to.

In prelims and GF day (since 2017), Richmond have gone +12, +4, -6, +3, -8 (L), -3 & +6

And that is against some bloody good midfield units. Clearances might not be everything. But when the heat is on in finals, they matter.

17 other teams cant rely on being able to 'flick the switch' in big moments like Richmond can.

Richmond's rolling maul and defensive aerial wall are their strength.

You get pressured if you try to run it into 50, and their marking defenders kill it if you try to kick out of their press.

Richmond are press, press, press.

They don't bother with precision kicks and handball chains, they just keep barging it forward, then they lock it in.

It's ugly, but effective.

I think every team is trying to emulate that gamestyle to a degree, whether you have the players to implement it or not is a broader question.

In any event a trial game against a side that will be average with 6 first choice players not in and 2-3 new midfield combos at any given time probably isn’t the only gauge.

If we’re getting monstered like that come July-August then we can be a little worried about it.

I think every team is trying to emulate that gamestyle to a degree..........

Christ, I hope not. It's horrid, and it relegates natural football ability (kicking, marking & handballing) for the price of athleticism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went through the replay and did my best to mark down the stats as accurate as I could. They aren't perfect but they should be pretty close (haven't found any other sources of stats, but if there are we'll be able to compare my efforts...)

By far the hardest to figure out were the clearances so take those numbers with a grain of salt, hard to tell who gets it most of the time but I did my best, and I probably forgot to pay attention to a bucnh of them too. On the eye test, North clearly beat us in the clearances though. Gresh and Jones back will help that big time.

For those interested.

DEFENDERS

Nick Coffield - 17 disposals (7k/10hb), 5 marks, 2 tackles, 1 inside 50, 3 rebound 50s
Jack Sinclair - 15 disposals (12k/3hb), 6 marks, 1 tackle, 5 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 goal assist
Dougal Howard - 13 disposals (8k/5hb), 1 mark, 1 inside 50, 7 rebound 50s
Callum Wilkie - 13 disposals (9k/4hb), 3 marks, 2 inside 50s, 6 rebound 50s, 1 intercept mark
Jimmy Webster - 12 disposals (7k/5hb), 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 inside 50, 3 rebound 50s
James Frawley - 9 disposals (8k/1hb), 1 mark, 1 tackle, 2 rebound 50s, 1 intercept mark
Ben Long - 8 disposals (5k/3hb), 4 marks, 3 tackles, 4 rebound 50s
Tom Highmore - 7 disposals (4k/3hb), 4 marks, 1 tackle, 1 rebound 50, 3 intercept marks
Dan McKenzie - 7 disposals (3k/4hb), 3 marks, 1 tackle

MIDFIELDERS

Hunter Clark - 22 disposals (10k/12hb), 4 marks, 4 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 intercept mark
Jack Billings - 22 disposals (14k/8hb), 10 marks, 2 tackles, 6 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50
Brad Hill - 21 disposals (15k/6hb), 4 marks, 3 tackles, 3 inside 50s, 6 rebound 50s
Jack Steele - 18 disposals (7k/11hb), 5 marks, 5 tackles, 3 inside 50s
Seb Ross - 17 disposals (5k/12hb), 1 mark, 5 tackles, 3 clearances, 1 inside 50, 1 rebound 50
Jack Bytel - 17 disposals (6k/11hb), 2 marks, 3 tackles, 2 clearances, 1 inside 50, 1 rebound 50, 2 goals
Brad Crouch - 14 disposals (6k/8b), 2 marks, 3 tackles, 2 clearances, 1 inside 50, 1 goal
Luke Dunstan - 4 disposals (3k/1hb), 1 mark, 1 tackle, 1 clearance

RUCKS

Paddy Ryder - 6 disposals (6k), 4 marks, 1 tackle, 3 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 22 hitouts, 1 goal assist, 1 goal
Paul Hunter - 4 disposals (2k/2hb), 1 mark, 1 tackle - didn't bother counting hitouts as there were so few, he looked undersized against North's ruck

FORWARDS

Jack Higgins - 18 disposals (12k/6hb), 5 marks, 2 tackles, 1 clearance, 5 inside 50s, 4 goal assists, 2 goals
Jack Lonie - 15 disposals (10k/5hb), 4 marks, 4 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal assist, 2 goals
Mason Wood - 14 disposals (11k/3hb), 8 marks, 1 tackle, 3 inside 50s, 1 goal assist, 2 intercept marks, 4 goals
Josh Battle - 13 disposals (12k/1hb), 5 marks, 3 tackles, 3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 3 goals
Tim Membrey - 13 disposals (10k/3hb), 7 marks, 4 inside 50s, 2 goals
Dan Butler - 11 disposals (5k/6hb), 3 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goal assists, 2 goals
Max King - 9 disposals (9k), 5 marks, 1 tackle, 3 inside 50s, 1 goal assist, 4 hitouts, 2 goals

Already seen our leading goalkickers so here's the leaders in the other stat categories below;

MOST DISPOSALS
=1. Jack Billings - 22
=1. Hunter Clark - 22
3. Bradley Hill - 21
=4. Jack Steele - 18
=4. Jack Higgins - 18

MOST MARKS
1. Jack Billings - 10
2. Mason Wood - 8
3. Tim Membrey - 7
4. Jack Sinclair - 6

MOST TACKLES
=1. Jack Steele - 5
=1. Seb Ross - 5
=3. Hunter Clark - 4
=3. Dan Butler - 4
=3. Jack Lonie - 4

MOST I50S
1. Jack Billings - 6
=2. Jack Higgins - 5
=2. Jack Sinclair - 5
=4. Jack Lonie - 4
=4. Tim Membrey - 4

MOST R50S
1. Dougal Howard - 7
=2. Bradley Hill - 6
=2. Callum Wilkie - 6
4. Ben Long - 4

GOAL ASSISTS
1. Jack Higgins - 4
2. Dan Butler - 2

INTERCEPT MARKS
1. Tom Highmore - 3
2. Mason Wood - 2

P.S - Before dislocating his finger in the first quarter, Bytel had 10 disposals, 2 marks and 2 goals 🔥
I know a lot has happened in the last few months, and I am as pessimistic as anyone at the moment. But no Paton, Gresh, Jones, Marshall, Hanners or King in this game ... and we won by 15 goals. Just saying

It breaks my heart to read how optimistic everyone was in this thread.

How did this happen?

This is why my positivity has evaporated. Think dark thoughts about the Saints and you look visionary, get all possum-eyed about how great we are and you might as well sit in a corner smearing excrement on yourself for credibility. I look like a naive child from this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back