Remove this Banner Ad

theprospect

Club Legend
Saints Pledge Contributor
Sep 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Eh. Was always going to happen, but jeez it's still so depressing. Dunstan played a great game I thought, and Marshall was pretty good considering it was his first game. Carlisle touched up by Sinclair was very disappointing after he's had such a great year.

Melt away my friends

Not surprised, knew we were up against it.

Thought Marshall was impressive for a first gamer.

Loved the hit on Franklin by Carlisle.

Need to respond next week.

Saints fans are justified in questioning our club's performance. People are angry, disappointed, and despairing. Two weeks ago we smashed a top 4 club in a 4 win streak, and striding towards finals. Now we have been demoralised by repeat unacceptable performances. We are unlikely to play finals this season and appear unlikely to even match last season's 12 wins to miss out on finals by percentage.

Are we going backwards? Should questions be asked of our coaching staff? Is it time for our veterans to bow out and fast track the development of our future champions?

This seasons gone. No point being in finals if you are only making up numbers anyway.
Time for Stuv to put the cue in the rack and get his injury completely right coz it doesn't look like he's right at the moment.
Give Roo a farewell game in the last couple of games but for now get games into Marshall and Battle.

Oh come on. Who had this game pencilled as a win from the start of the season? Not one person on the saints board would have.

The team is nicely poised for Port with Wingard in doubt and the team wanting to respond.

Lose that and Melbourne and then The season is over, not anytime before that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Choco Williams goes on and on about an apparently genius goal kicking coach, Ben Perkisns, who he believes Saints need to employ for a bit.

Alternatively, we could trade our picks plus Future picks and Ameet Bains to Hawthorne for Clarkson.

Not enough work and running to present an option. Could be speed, laziness or both. We look bogged down.

Entry into F50 is deplorable. Not sure if that's us or the pressure we were under. Too much kicking to stagnant players.

Need to kick quickly and accurately.

Wasn't expecting a win but still dissapointed. They are red hot and will come close to winning the big one this year.

Perspective: we still have quite a few players with less than 50 games.

If we lose next then some big calls need to be made in terms of next year

I've accepted we are a mediocre team (sitting 11th on ladder), so it didn't overly upset.

Very happy with Dunstan's game.

+1 to this, my anger subsided weeks back. its obvious where we are at. all we can do is try to get more supporters onside with what is happening and to push for change.

this is all we need to know:
upload_2017-7-22_20-17-38.png

its very hard to fix the issues we have in one off-season. but like ive been saying for a while now, for richo to have any chance to save his job, he needs to start making these changes now. not wait for the season to be over. i said that weeks back. it doesnt look like this has sunk in, but i'm hoping after tonight's loss it does and that richo can pull one out of the hat

unfortunately i think we've all seen this train crash before

i'm optimistic that once we identify that its broken and its publicly acknowledged that it is, we will fix it and get back on track

Saints fans are justified in questioning our club's performance. People are angry, disappointed, and despairing. Two weeks ago we smashed a top 4 club in a 4 win streak, and striding towards finals. Now we have been demoralised by repeat unacceptable performances. We are unlikely to play finals this season and appear unlikely to even match last season's 12 wins to miss out on finals by percentage.

Are we going backwards? Should questions be asked of our coaching staff? Is it time for our veterans to bow out and fast track the development of our future champions?
To be fair, other than v Hawks, Giants & Tigers the other wins haven't been memorable. Our losses are still far to high, what is it 42 point average? I do accept we have a harder draw this year but we need to improve our stocks in the midfield including the ruck. I don't know what our game plan is when the momentum is against us. Yes, time for the veterans to retire.

Do people think the players or the coaches are the bigger issue?
For me it's mainly coaches. It's brutal to say but they are just not smart enough and not teacher types. The landscape has changed over the past few years and footy is going thorough a revolution brought about by Clarko where probably the two most important attributes a coach in the AFL needs is an ability to teach and an ability to take tactics from other sports and implement them into an Aussie Rules gameplan.

You look at Hawthorn and what Clarko has been able to do with them in a matter of weeks and you realize the impact a good coach can have on a team, no matter how good or bad the players are. It'll take a few years but soon all teams will have these sort of coaches so you'd hope we get ahead of the game and at the very least clean our assistants out at years end and replace them with the teacher types.

Last edited:
Turns out nothing but we had to mate... what message would that have sent the rest of the team?

that they're both 33+ and they cant be expected to carry the team anymore

lets not pretend that the issue with replacing roo and monty has just appeared over night. it's been a key part of the rebuild for the last 6 years. how we replace and transition away from roo and monty and the rest of the senior blokes who arent there anymore

for us to cling to playing them and thereby lose another opportunity to get some games into players that will be there for the next flag is a failing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back