News 2021 St.Kilda AFLW Media Thread

Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
In 19 years time Eddie will be griping about the unfair advantage that the Saints and Bulldogs and Melbourne have with the Mother Son rule, and given that 12 of the last 14 premierships were won by these three clubs it needs to be addressed. :lipstick::innocent:

Seriously though, I thank as a fan base we shouldn't underestimate the contribution of women to the club, and the extra allure that will be created by having a womens team. I actually think that this will take off. Like the mens competition the typical womens athlete will be slender and beautiful and offer plenty of marketability, and there is big money in the world of womens health, cosmetics and fashion that can be tapped for sponsorship. If the AFL makes the sport financially rewarding for female athletes from the get go, this has got the capacity to pull all the very top talent away from other sports in Australia and even bring in international talent.

The very day that the club sells a womens membership I will add it to my current one. Because I'm a Saint.

Even better if there's a father-daughter rule for the women's comp. Burke, Lockett and Frawley have got ten between them. That's half a side already!
Seriously though I think the four Vic teams should be the Saints, Dogs, Melb & North. With the the gap between the large and small clubs growing all the time I think the women's league could be a great (and potentially one off) chance to narrow the gap and allow those clubs to build and consolidate something before other teams are introduced.

SaintJesus

Senior List
Sep 18, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great idea hands down. It will engage and inspire the entire st kilda and bayside AFL community. Now every child can dream of slipping on the red, white and black and playing in front of a pack house on GF day. Whatever set up cost, it will come back in spades: On field success, merch, supporters, media coverage etc.

Go saints! #teamangelica

We have a solid argument, but I think at the very best we'd be 5th in line though.

Collingwood are as good as guaranteed, and I think the AFL would want another strong off field team like Richmond to prop the league up. I read Cotton On are pitching to be the apparel provider ( :rolleyes: ) so you'd think Geelong/Frank Costa would be tied to that.

SaintJesus

Senior List
Sep 18, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
#teamangelica
stkswomans3.jpg

Feb 21, 2004
AFL Club
St Kilda
I love the pitch and it has my full support...but Im a realist. Theyve got their 2 "Smaller " Victorian Clubs with Melb and Bulldogs (who are surely sodas) ..and given that Geelong, Collingwood and Carlton have all bid (and the Pies of course have sponsors all ready to go) I think we're swimming against the tide.

Maybe next time

I love the pitch and it has my full support...but Im a realist. Theyve got their 2 "Smaller " Victorian Clubs with Melb and Bulldogs (who are surely sodas) ..and given that Geelong, Collingwood and Carlton have all bid (and the Pies of course have sponsors all ready to go) I think we're swimming against the tide.

Maybe next time
The little guy sometimes wins :cool:

1451708198275.jpg

“In summing up, it's Finnis, it's Peta Searle, it's the Bayside and the Peninsula,
it’s the diverstity embraced by St Kilda, it's justice, it's the vibe, and…no that's it…
it's the vibe. I rest my case."

Last edited:
The little guy sometimes wins :cool:

1451708198275.jpg

“In summing up, it's Finnis, it's Peta Searle, it's the Bayside and the Peninsula,
it’s the diverstity embraced by St Kilda, it's justice, it's the vibe, and…no that's it…
it's the vibe. I rest my case."

Love it! :D

If you missed it, here is the main interview Finnis has done on the topic of the women's team.

Oct 1, 2010
Vermont
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Celtic, Glasgow Warriors, Wolves
Oct 1, 2010
Vermont
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Celtic, Glasgow Warriors, Wolves
Hope we get a side. It would be that nice combination of good press, development in the local community and the opportunity to get involved in a national competition. I'm not saying that it will become mandatory for AFL sides to have a Womens team in the future, but both the Big Bash and the A-league (Phoenix being replaced by a Canberra team I think) all have women's teams running alongside the Men's. Be much better to be an inaugural side than an expansion one.

How much I could actually attend/watch, I don't know, but it would be nice to have the opportunity to, particularly if we could get double headers with the reserves at Moorabbin.

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda
There's a unique opportunity to become the major female team sport and Cricket Australia has got a head start on the competition, the AFL like Cricket has a huge shot at being competitive courtesy of the male versions being very financial, the two big codes can afford to bankroll a women's competition and wait til they make a profit on their own. They will have to compete for athletic talent and the money will be a big factor. The TV ratings for the women's BBL have been an eye opener and while the standard of play is still poor it's greatly improved on a even two years ago.

Of the established women's sports I'm pretty sure it's only netball that makes a buck on it's own, but after the women's BBL there is a is a market and it's growing, if the AFL can get some decent money for a women's competition then the female athletes will follow. I think the talent is out there but it will take at least 5 years and probably closer to 10 to break even let alone make money. Cricket Australia seems prepared to pay up $85,000 for top players plus sponsor dollars. Netball has cap of $300,000 for a squad of 12 with a minimum of $15,000 per player, do they pay more than $65,000 for a top player? Not sure. Women's soccer like the everyone in the FFA is still supported through the subs paid by kids to play suburban soccer, the world game should be the biggest sport but....... Basketball male or female are barely financial.

The AFL is yet to announce what the girls will earn, and what the cap will be but it has to get competitive very quickly. If there's ayoung woman out there that tops 190cms. has the coordination and flexibility to bowl at 135km/h, she's probably worth more than $100,000 to Cricket what will she get playing football? It's a question that will have to be answered and quickly.

Last edited:
Meh, call me Sexist all you like, but I got better things to do with my time than watch women playing football.

This doesn't bother me, although good on the club striving for equality.

won't call you sexist, but I will call you incredibly short sighted.

May 31, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
Signed the petition as well.

I really think that a women's team would be great from a marketing perspective, especially if the league really takes off. I could imagine quite a few younger girls in particular choosing a team based on the women's team. From this point of view I think it would be a real shame to miss out.

Let's hope the AFL likes our application and thinks we represent a targeted area, although I think the likelihood of us getting a team - at least initially - is unfortunately pretty low.

won't call you sexist, but I will call you incredibly short sighted.

How so? It's simply a physiological fact that women, barring freak outliers, are physically inferior to men. When it comes to physical sports such as AFL, even the most physically elite women will struggle to reach the heights of the average male second tier competition player, let alone the elite players at the top flight.

Slower, weaker, generally less co-ordinated etc etc.

Sure, it's great in terms of the concept, but there's a reason why women's sports are not as popular, even in highly supported fields such as tennis; they're objectively worse.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
How so? It's simply a physiological fact that women, barring freak outliers, are physically inferior to men. When it comes to physical sports such as AFL, even the most physically elite women will struggle to reach the heights of the average male second tier competition player, let alone the elite players at the top flight.

Slower, weaker, generally less co-ordinated etc etc.

Sure, it's great in terms of the concept, but there's a reason why women's sports are not as popular, even in highly supported fields such as tennis; they're objectively worse.
Its almost as if professional sports attract those freak outliers.. fancy that hey?

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I know people will think its sexist but why, apart from families, would anyone want to watch women's footy apart from novelty value? I love women's golf because apart from not hitting it as far they have all the skills men have but I cant say that for women's footy. Their skills are about D2 grade ammos side with 3 or 4 who look great and the rest ordinary witch is typical of that standard of footy. The thing is that when women have rang up on SEN about the women's footy they say they would rather watch the males play so if they aren't watching it I doubt males will apart from the first couple of games. I'm a bit meh about it. If we get a side I just hope it doesn't effect in the slightest way our aim of what we are here for and that's success of the male Saints side.

Back