News 2021 St.Kilda AFLW Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah watched about a half of a half last night - the thing that still impress's is the level of commitment and attack on the ball.

Skills wise - still some way to go and that's where the problem lies. The AFL wants higher scoring, which is why it introduced the rule changes, but goal scoring requires transition and a chain of clean possessions - unfortunately ATM the moment the women's skill set just can't deliver that on a regular basis.

The rule changes introduced by the AFL were about removing the stop start nature of the game but until general kicking skills improve, scoring will continue to be a struggle.

I agree with some comments that an AFLX style format may be a bit better for the womens game ATM. Lets say 14 players, the ground a bit smaller (say 130 x 110 metres - the cricket does it so why not the AFLW.) That reduces the number of clean possessions to get a shot on goal and those that come are then more likely to be within scoring range (ie 30 to 40 metres)

I suspect I'm gonna have no real interest until our club is included.

That said - go girls!!!

Im afraid it is about me. As a spectator and a consumer. If the people dont come, advertisers wont spend.

As for my daughter's playing sport, they had ample opportunity and would never have played football anyway.

I dont really care if it suceeds or not. I am not really interested as the skills and spectacle is second rate and for me not worth watching.

One thing I wont be bullied into liking a sport that I find substandard just because it is women playing it. That is a shitty accusation.
My women sports I like. The ones that are a good spectacle with skill and finesse.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes and no.

Is it is about you in the sense that you are a consumer of the product being offered, that's really all there is, you are a monetary sign that can be replaced in an instance that is largely entry level growth stage where money really isn't the direct focus.

The focus is growth of the league to create a standard, a goal, a clear pathway. And to do this the AFL needed to put it on a stage and say it's there, it will be there, and eventually at least there is the potential for it to be side by side with gender gaps. It's a long game and you won't be getting free entry or gold coin donation entry when it's a finished product and purely professional.

You expect in these things drop off, because as you indicate, as a product it doesn't appeal to you, but consider that eventually you will have as you do men, women who have grown up purely on the AFL product, and you will have institutions around that effectively usher in a professional instead of amateur league of individuals with similar story as far as from go to woah they came to play AFL and that was the focus. Eventually you will have those who are naturally skilled, you will have those who understand the game a different, better way and you will see less of a jostle between evenly matched amateurs with a couple months of professional sports product 101 & repercussions.

So whilst yes, initially the AFL would very much to grow the money around the game and in that sense you, me and everyone looking at the product outside in are invested, it's really not about us at all outside of the next generation and beyond. That doesn't mean anyone should be hounded down or anything for dropping off or remarking that it's not at that level, because really, you insert an AFL player into many other sports and they will similarly look like unskilled monkeys trying to copy the professionals, you expect it to happen.

It's still the game that is Australian rules footy, not a derivative of, and where previously it excluded a great many people in the professional league for no real reason, it is in the throws of fixing that, it can only be a good thing in the long run for the game.

The girls go in really hard, and look really committed, but their skills are ordinary at best. Some can't kick 30m.
Another tick in the column for a smaller ground.

Physically I find it very difficult to kick over 35m, let alone with any accuracy - as many other females do too evidently.

It's not as simple as just deciding to kick longer.

Last edited:
Im afraid it is about me. As a spectator and a consumer. If the people dont come, advertisers wont spend.

As for my daughter's playing sport, they had ample opportunity and would never have played football anyway.

I dont really care if it suceeds or not. I am not really interested as the skills and spectacle is second rate and for me not worth watching.

One thing I wont be bullied into liking a sport that I find substandard just because it is women playing it. That is a shitty accusation.
My women sports I like. The ones that are a good spectacle with skill and finesse.

..I was being figurative with "our daughters". Surely that wasnt hard to understand? "Not caring if it succeeds or not" is a pretty selfish point of view. There are thousands and thousands of women out there who damn well do hope it succeeds and it requires literally zero effort from people like you support them but you dont for reasons somewhat beyond my grasp.

Also no one is bullying you. You offered your opinion and have had a counter point made, stop crying foul every time you do this and aren't agreed with.

..I was being figurative with "our daughters". Surely that wasnt hard to understand? "Not caring if it succeeds or not" is a pretty selfish point of view. There are thousands and thousands of women out there who damn well do hope it succeeds and it requires literally zero effort from people like you support them but you dont for reasons somewhat beyond my grasp.

Also no one is bullying you. You offered your opinion and have had a counter point made, stop crying foul every time you do this and aren't agreed with.
Bullshit. Any critisism of the AFLW is shut down. Nobody can have an alternate opinion. Everyone has to love it.

Well bad luck. AFAIAC the standard is poor and the hype is garbage.

I leave you cultists to it and talk about real football on the other threads

Bullshit. Any critisism of the AFLW is shut down. Nobody can have an alternate opinion. Everyone has to love it.

Yes you can have alternative opinion, youre expressing it right now. You seem to have this strange idea that all opinions are equal in debate when its just simply not true. Provide an argument that the AFLW is a wholly negative thing and perhaps my opinion will be swayed to your line of thinking but until then Ill maintain you are shortsighted and pigheaded in regards to this topic.

IMO it's there and not going anywhere soon so let who ever wants to watch it. I actually like watching Vecchio and Tayla Harris play and seeing anyone in a Collingwood jumper look dejected is enjoyable. I can't be bothered with NRL but couldn't care less if other people want to watch it.

Joff has a point. Richard Hinds wrote a very measured and well written Tweet last night about the poor standard of the game...and was ripped a new one by a few who are very defensive of criticism of the game. Then this morning one of the players tweeted pretty much the same thing...and crickets.

The "women dont need men to tell them about their game thanks very much, this comp is designed for women and those who support them" crowd are doing noone any favours at all.

As a few have said, the future of the game are the 9/10/11 year olds playing juniors now. The elite girls from that group will be fantastic to watch when they come through, just as the guys are.

I think the biggest mistake the AFL has made with the womans game is recruiting so many girls from other sports. I am sure there are girls out there that have been playing Aussie Rules for years who can kick further than these girls and can hand ball and hold a mark, but were never given a go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the Lions/Crows game and I can tell you right now that the biggest thing that will change the womens game is the improvement in coaching.

Yeah the skills arent yet fantastic but I see far more issue with player's running patterns and zoning then anything else. Often players are handballing to empty space because they haven't trained enough to rely on team mates getting to the contest and supporting properly.

Im not sure what coaching staff were installed for the teams but the AFL need to pump money into getting good coaches into the ranks and really push good game plans and structure. Will make a HUGE different in my opinion.

They should play in lingerie.

OK COME AT ME YA BASTARDS!!!!!!!
Morpheus-Come-At-Me-Bro.gif

:p

Watching the Lions/Crows game and I can tell you right now that the biggest thing that will change the womens game is the improvement in coaching.

Yeah the skills arent yet fantastic but I see far more issue with player's running patterns and zoning then anything else. Often players are handballing to empty space because they haven't trained enough to rely on team mates getting to the contest and supporting properly.

Im not sure what coaching staff were installed for the teams but the AFL need to pump money into getting good coaches into the ranks and really push good game plans and structure. Will make a HUGE different in my opinion.

"Watching the Lions/Crows game and I can tell you right now ....."

I hate Adelaide.

I dont watch it, i dont care if others do, its up to the individual. I did get a laugh on the news when the girl that was kicked in the mckenty said it hurt, but shes glad shes not a guy, i am with her there.

I dont watch it, i dont care if others do, its up to the individual. I did get a laugh on the news when the girl that was kicked in the mckenty said it hurt, but shes glad shes not a guy, i am with her there.
I am watching the Women for the first time...I am very impressed with the umpiring. They give time before making a decision, reward the tackler when appropriate, let minimal things go. I am one of the worst for umpire bashing but I guess it shows that with the fast pace of AFL and more sinister tactics employed, it really is a tough job. Slow it downa bit and they are pretty spot on.

I had a conversation with a foundation member of an interstate AFLW Club yesterday.
I thought I’d share her observations.
1. Skill levels have improved 100% on last year. And will continue to improve at a significant rate.
2. She thinks it ridiculous that the girls are playing on the same oval dimensions as men given few of them can currently kick in excess of 40m.
3. She asked why AFLW could not share the same ground dimensions as AFLX and play 15 a side.
4. AFLW is currently being played in Canadian and American comps. Or at least a female league version thereof.

I had a conversation with a foundation member of an interstate AFLW Club yesterday.
I thought I’d share her observations.
1. Skill levels have improved 100% on last year. And will continue to improve at a significant rate.
2. She thinks it ridiculous that the girls are playing on the same oval dimensions as men given few of them can currently kick in excess of 40m.
3. She asked why AFLW could not share the same ground dimensions as AFLX and play 15 a side.
4. AFLW is currently being played in Canadian and American comps. Or at least a female league version thereof.
So she wants to play on a rectangular ground with 15 a side? That would be 1000 times worse. 30 players don’t fit on a soccer pitch. The games are low scoring enough and they want to play on smaller grounds where there would be more congestion? I don’t have the solution but that is an incredibly uneducated one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back