News 2021 St.Kilda AFLW Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering we've tried to be front runners in a lot of regards (nz games, Peta Searle, pride match) I think it's great and we hopefully get one. I'd rather see the smaller clubs get a team rather than Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon ect.
Plus it makes sense geographically.

Hope we get it but haven't a number of clubs already been ear marked? I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Hope we get it but haven't a number of clubs already been ear marked? I'm not holding my breath on this one.
Well Essendon, Gold Coast, Port Adelaide and Hawthorn all withdrew.

Melbourne and the Bulldogs will get a team. AFL wants four teams in Victoria.

So the last two spots in Victoria will be between St.Kilda, Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood, North Melbourne, and Geelong.

I think Peta Searle is going to be a massive factor in the AFL's decision. Would be great for us being a foundation club of the mens league and now potentially women's too.

Being the only club South of the Yarra has got to help too. Listening to Finnis this morning he made some very good points about developing a club that is for the greater bayside area... Watch the AFL hand another opportunity to the big clubs now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the last two spots in Victoria will be between St.Kilda, Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood, North Melbourne, and Geelong.

I think Peta Searle is going to be a massive factor in the AFL's decision. Would be great for us being a foundation club of the mens league and now potentially women's too.

How great would it be to have a Saints women's team with Peta as coach ... what a combination.

Interesting that the St Kilda Sharks Women's Football Club have partnered with Port Melbourne FC this year where Peta was one of Gary Ayres Assistant Coaches.

http://www.portmelbournefc.com.au/pmfc-in-partnership-with-st-kilda-sharks/

What's there to suggest we can't do both at the same time?
Agree; if we think we can do both then go for it I say.

Cos I reckon if we miss out with the women's team now it could take ages to get another shot at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO this is more about good publicity for AFL/clubs rather than an actual serious sporting league. I have nothing against women's sports, but don't see this taking off like women's tennis, MMA, soccer, basketball, etc has. Good on the club for getting involved though and good for the ladies to get some national exposure in their athletic endeavors, although like others I hope we're prioritising a standalone VFL team over this.

IMO this is more about good publicity for AFL/clubs ....
You may be right.

But the Saints more than anyone need a big bucket of that. May even help land that elusive major sponsor.

So bring it on :):thumbsu:

IMO this is more about good publicity for AFL/clubs rather than an actual serious sporting league. I have nothing against women's sports, but don't see this taking off like women's tennis, MMA, soccer, basketball, etc has. Good on the club for getting involved though and good for the ladies to get some national exposure in their athletic endeavors, although like others I hope we're prioritising a standalone VFL team over this.
Watch a women's game. Much like women's tennis, there are different dynamics at play in how the game is played that make it really good to watch (and no, not that they're pretty, fellas... :rolleyes: ). As the competition evolves, I can see it becoming really interesting to watch for fans.

Saw a replay of the Dees/WCE game. Impressed. Excited. Probably overdue, to be honest.

The gals were cracking in hard. Like... really hard. I found it very watchable, mostly for the intrigue as to the potential growth of talent and crowds.

Best game on the planet. Get the gals in on it. Can't be any worse than "League Teams". In fact, I reckon it'll end up quite a prominent talking point in our daily lives/news in a few years. I know if I see a Saints jumper, I'll be glued and looking for a cult hero straight up.

Saw a replay of the Dees/WCE game. Impressed. Excited. Probably overdue, to be honest.

The gals were cracking in hard. Like... really hard. I found it very watchable, mostly for the intrigue as to the potential growth of talent and crowds.

Best game on the planet. Get the gals in on it. Can't be any worse than "League Teams". In fact, I reckon it'll end up quite a prominent talking point in our daily lives/news in a few years. I know if I see a Saints jumper, I'll be glued and looking for a cult hero straight up.
As I've said frequently, my daughter had a dream once that a Saints player told her she'd play for the Saints when she grows up. It's sounding more likely that she could. :)

It seems Sydney got cold feet at the altar too.

We're the loyal types.

This is not about now. This is about the future, and it is really smart of us wanting to become a foundation club of something that for all we know might be huge in 100 years. Sports like this have a big problem and that is how patriarchal they are at all levels, at odds with society. Whether or you like it, that will eventually change. It's just inevitable.

I'm all for it, and if we win a few grand finals early days, all the better.

Having said that, it seems from our media output that Peta isn't particularly into switching back to women's footy, so those of you who are keen to usher her smoothly back out of blokes footy might be disappointed ;-)

In some respects I am all for us trying to get a female team up and running, but I tend to agree with Crasha.

I don't no where the money is coming from, and aren't we having enough trouble getting the funding for Moorabbin.

In 19 years time Eddie will be griping about the unfair advantage that the Saints and Bulldogs and Melbourne have with the Mother Son rule, and given that 12 of the last 14 premierships were won by these three clubs it needs to be addressed. :lipstick::innocent:

Seriously though, I thank as a fan base we shouldn't underestimate the contribution of women to the club, and the extra allure that will be created by having a womens team. I actually think that this will take off. Like the mens competition the typical womens athlete will be slender and beautiful and offer plenty of marketability, and there is big money in the world of womens health, cosmetics and fashion that can be tapped for sponsorship. If the AFL makes the sport financially rewarding for female athletes from the get go, this has got the capacity to pull all the very top talent away from other sports in Australia and even bring in international talent.

The very day that the club sells a womens membership I will add it to my current one. Because I'm a Saint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back