News 2021 St.Kilda AFLW Media Thread

The Southern Saints have sent a stern warning to the VFLW, smashing a vastly more experienced Williamstown outfit by 80 points on Saturday.

Formed in the off-season, the Saints have flourished under the tutelage of Head Coach Peta Searle, and their hard work is paying off.

On an oddly calm Saturday afternoon by the bay, the Saints’ improved ball movement and team cohesion was evident from the outset.

The Saints burst out of the blocks in an utterly dominant first term, a theme that would continue throughout the rest of the day.

The women’s side extended their lead at every change, using their size to outmuscle the smaller Williamstown and restrict their total to just 1.1.7 for the day.

The Saints were impressive all afternoon, booting a huge 13.9.87 to cap off a pre-season where they’ve seen significant improvements with each encounter.

Become a Southern Saints member today for just $40.

The 2018 VFLW season kicks off this weekend as the Southern Saints host Carlton this Saturday.

Carlton comes into the match as heavy favourites, having worked closely with the club’s AFLW side all pre-season, but the Saints’ demolition of Williamstown has heads turning towards their eagerly anticipated season opener.

Witness history at Frankston Oval this Saturday 5 May at 11:15am as the Southern Saints’ play their first league match.

Go Saints
Pretty impressive from the ladies!

Diehard Saint when will you be suiting up?

Interesting comment by Caro about Peta Searle being "marginalized" at St Kilda. There was wind from it in that blog article posted a few days ago about the VFL alignment with Sandringham where they mentioned Peta was on ball bag duties, hardly the development coach she was announced as being.

We don't know if she was demoted, or simply accepted the role of the head of female development and coaching. So no point raising it as an issue if there isn't one, Caro didn't sound exactly sure. I'm sure we'll hear more about it now it's a topic of contention.

i'd love to argue that the step up from being a VFL assistant is a long way from being an AFL line coach let alone a Senior Assistant, so Peta was always up against it, but unfortunately we have someone like Sexton who went from Tac Cup to opposition analyst at our club, when trout left, to then climbing the ladder all the way to the director of coaching.

so there goes that argument...

honestly we gave her an opportunity, she was able to work full time on the thing she wanted to work on. if we were disrespectful, well thats disappointing but we are ahead of the other 17 clubs in that regard. none of which would employ her. if they did and our management of her was an issue then she would have left by now.

reality is may be she found the level to be a bit above her ability and is now transitioning to the womens side of the game which now has more money behind it than it did previously

Does anyone know whats happening with this team once we have a AFLW lisence? I would very much be pushing to have all these women plus the entry draft picks have the option to sign on. With a cohesive team like this it would have a much stronger chance of being competitive against lists that have 3+ years of development already.
I was wondering this as well.
Surely they wouldn't just fully disband the team (and the other teams that are in the same situation as us) and send them all to the draft.

Maybe they will be eligible for the draft over the next 2 years if they want to leave and we keep all that remain?

i'd love to argue that the step up from being a VFL assistant is a long way from being an AFL line coach let alone a Senior Assistant, so Peta was always up against it, but unfortunately we have someone like Sexton who went from Tac Cup to opposition analyst at our club, when trout left, to then climbing the ladder all the way to the director of coaching.

so there goes that argument...

honestly we gave her an opportunity, she was able to work full time on the thing she wanted to work on. if we were disrespectful, well thats disappointing but we are ahead of the other 17 clubs in that regard. none of which would employ her. if they did and our management of her was an issue then she would have left by now.

reality is may be she found the level to be a bit above her ability and is now transitioning to the womens side of the game which now has more money behind it than it did previously

I don't care what it is, she was nearly lost to footy and we offered her a life line. Sounds like she's done the hard yards and hasn't been spoon fed easy opportunity. She's sucked up what she needed to and looks like she's doing well. Big respect for Peta, perhaps she can swap with Richo. Any way seriously she's a great story and the media can frame it as she got shafted but she's not taking it as a victim, she's doing the thing our players need to learn and that's that hard work and perseverance are worth a lot in life. They should be doing good news stories on it, she's a little Aussie battler single mum that went in to a mans domain and with all the obstacles has come out a winner. * Caro.

The countdown is on for the Southern Saints as they approach their first ever game in the VFLW.

The Saints will take on Carlton at Skybus Stadium in Frankston at 11:15am this Saturday 5 May.

Following the Saints’ successful bid for an AFLW team for the 2020 season, the new-look Saints side will use the next two seasons in the VFLW to build experience and cohesion before exploding onto the big stage.

“It’s a really exciting time for the footy club as a whole,” Manager of Emerging Football Programs Jamie Cox said.

“There’s huge potential for the women’s game to grow into something really special. You look at the enormous growth of women’s footy already at all levels and you can see it’s already taken hold.”

The Southern Saints come into Round 1 on the back of a pre-season that saw vast improvements with each practice match, capped off by delivering an 80-point thumping to Williamstown away.

“The girls have been working incredibly hard since late last year to build their fitness and strength, and there’s also a real desire to keep developing their skills and knowledge of the game,” Cox said.

Led by senior coach Peta Searle, assistant coach Nathan Burke and a raft of other high-profile football people, St Kilda’s first affiliate women’s side will look to exceed expectations in their debut season when they face off against some far more experienced teams.

Become a member of the Southern Saints

B: T. Annear (11), S. Binder (45), A. Ryan (26)
HB: M. Macdonald (29), L. Olsen (17), G. Walker (31)
C: S. Karlson (38), A. Brown (2), A. Silver (19)
HF: K. Macqueen (27), T. Bohanna (15), K. Ripari (24)
F: D. Lawrence (21), J. Rolland (23), C. Munn (13)
FOL: R. Watt (28), A. Drennan (8), S. Johnson (32)
I/C: S. Bolding (36), S. Casey (34), J. Hull (12), M. Maitland (40)
E: S. Long (9), M. Supple (7), K. Thompson (16), J. Vissenjoux (6)
23P: D. Smith (22)

Go Saints

Only team in the league not to have any AFLW players, so don't set expectations too high. Appears to be a very young list too.

31947566_10155915006468183_1158743337071542272_o.jpg

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
It’s an IP issue given there has been a St Kilda team playing at this level and in the women’s competition for many years.
Sharks are in the VWFL, not the VFLW. I think I got those acronyms around the right way.

Why southern saints?
Can’t they just be Saints??
Either they assimilate or not

We are branding ourselves as the bayside club, owning the south east corridor.

Southern Saints in the premises and club which will also house Southern Football League instances in St Kilda heartland for the St Kilda Saints is building the brand of the Saints being the bayside club for everyone.

I'd say that's assimilating.

So hang on
This team doesn't stay together for the 2020 entry into aflw league?
We go to a draft again?

**** me this vflw, vfwl, vwflaflwflaflarde*******dar s**t gets confusing

How hard is it, afl, afl ressies, aflw, aflw ressies
Then the vfl can do whatever the hell they like
No idea what will happen. Pretty sure nothing has been announced.

We may keep them all or we may keep none.

Back