News 2021 St.Kilda AFLW Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The players are free to enter the draft this year if they so choose. So yes, this group won't enter the league together. A successful season will see a majority of our list poached by AFLW teams at this year's draft.. quite the conundrum.

Still waiting for the AFL to work out how North and Geelong will form the majority of the lists, Geelong in a similar position to us having a VFLW team competing prior to entry. Priority access to listed VFL players seems quite sensible

Came on here just to post this, but happy to be beaten to it; really great news, Jason Heatley was one of my favourite players when I first got into AFL, always hoped he'd kick on with his coaching and get back here.

This is almost as good, I hope young Shelby lives up to the name and is as good a kick for goal!
Yes one of my favorites too growing up. That Loewe/Heatley/Hall combination with Lappin Jones Mitchell at their feet was great to watch.

Yes one of my favorites too growing up. That Loewe/Heatley/Hall combination with Lappin Jones Mitchell at their feet was great to watch.
What a team they were in the Waverley days........when we were on a big roll in 1997/98....we'd get some massive crowds at the Park.

Don't forget Smith too........he was great to watch.

It was a shame "Heaters" vanished off the scene about 1999 onwards.

What a team they were in the Waverley days........when we were on a big roll in 1997/98....we'd get some massive crowds at the Park.

Don't forget Smith too........he was great to watch.

It was a shame "Heaters" vanished off the scene about 1999 onwards.
Yes Joel Smith was one of my favourites Watto. Gutted when he left for Hawthorn. Loved Gavin Mitchell's agro too - didn't play many for us but I reckon he was another fan favorite.

I used to love going to Waverley to watch the footy. Would go almost every week with the old man during those 97/98/99 years. Some special moments spent there with my dad - one game in particular I remember was early in 1999 and we were playing the Western Bulldogs. Some Dogs supporters were giving it to Tony Francis who was in his first year at the club - well as it turns out Francis ended up kicking the winning goal and to say we gave it back to them ten fold would be an understatement!

I used to love going to Waverley to watch the footy.
Yes George.....there were certainly some great memories at "Artic Park"

I remember when "heater" burst onto the scene........we were coming out of our nose dive start to 1997........a sunny day at Waverly against the Pies...55 K out there...heaters kicked 4 or 5 that day.

How's this for some positive news.

Williamstown 4.2.26 DEFEATED BY Southern Saints 8.8.56

Southern Saints
Goal Kickers:
D. Lawrence 4, K. Macqueen, T. Bohanna, A. Drennan, J. Rolland
Best Players: A. Drennan, D. Lawrence, L. Olsen, K. Macqueen, R. Watt, J. Hull

Our Women's teams' first victory in their history.

And did they love it;

Great stuff there girls...........some positive news for a change.

And to boot........their sponsor name on the jumper.

Thanks for the clip George.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How's this for some positive news.

Williamstown 4.2.26 DEFEATED BY Southern Saints 8.8.56

Southern Saints
Goal Kickers:
D. Lawrence 4, K. Macqueen, T. Bohanna, A. Drennan, J. Rolland
Best Players: A. Drennan, D. Lawrence, L. Olsen, K. Macqueen, R. Watt, J. Hull

And did they love it;

Good to see Ormond girl Kate McQueen doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

History was made on Sunday afternoon as the Southern Saints claimed their first ever victory.

Led by four goals from Danielle Lawrence and a best-on-ground performance from Ali Drennan, the Saints sailed past Williamstown to claim a 29-point victory.

Drennan set the game alight from the very first minute, with her skill and agility an ever-present danger through the middle of the ground.

Peta Searle’s side appeared in control throughout, but they didn’t completely shrug off the Seagulls until Drennan goaled at the 10-minute mark of the final term.

Gallery: Southern Saints debut game

The Saints withstood strong early pressure from Williamstown and went to the quarter-time break in the lead, thanks to a goal from Tara Bohanna.

But then the floodgates opened, with the Saints piling on four goals in quick succession in a truly dominant second quarter.

Lawrence exerted her dominance up forward, kicking three majors including a running goal on the half-time siren.

The third quarter started in the same lively fashion, with Courteney Munn taking a strong overhead mark before finding Leah Olsen, who kicked truly to convert from 20 metres out.

Williamstown answered with a goal of their own just a minute later, before amplifying their pressure through the midfield and forcing the Saints to respond.

Composure and strong marking in the backline kept the Seagulls at bay for most of the third quarter, only yielding one goal close to three-quarter time from ex-Collingwood AFLW dynamo Jess Duffin.

Williamstown’s intensity held firm in the fourth quarter, but the Saints dug deep, desperate to post their first ever victory.

Rhiannon Watt’s dominance in the ruck continued, and when Drennan and Lawrence goaled inside three minutes, the Saints were home.

Become a member of the Southern Saints

Head coach Peta Searle said the historic win was due to hard work and perseverance.

“Williamstown came out each quarter and hit us hard for 10 minutes, but our girls were able to sustain that and keep going for 20 minutes,” she said.

“If you look at it, you’d probably see that we scored more heavily in the bottom half of each quarter than the top half, and that’s just the result of the girls’ resilience and ability to grind it out.”

Despite the win, Searle maintains that the Southern Saints are less concerned with results, and more with commitment to processes and effort.

“The girls have put in a lot and I think they deserve to have the win because of the preseason that they’ve had and all the running they’ve done,” Searle said.

“What we want the girls to do is, regardless of outcomes and results, we know every one of them has something special and as long as they keep believing in what they’ve got, that’s the main thing.”

Go Saints

Pride Day for Southern Saints.

There’s a lot of girls in our team who this means a lot to, you know, that they’re recognised as equals.

May 17 is a day of enormous significance for so many.

On this day in 1990, just 28 years ago, the General Assembly of the World Health Organisation removed homosexuality from their list of mental disorders.

Throughout history, homosexuals have been subjected to discrimination, vilification and violence, and the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Intersexism and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT) has been established on this day to raise awareness of the struggles the LGBTIQ community still faces today.

The statistics are alarming.

Compared to the general population, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people are nearly six times more likely to experience depression.

And young people aged 16 to 27 are five times more likely to attempt suicide than their non-LGBTIQ counterparts.

The comparative rates of suicide ideation, self-harm, anxiety and other mental disorders are equally disturbing and disproportionate to the general population.

This weekend, St Kilda will continue their commitment to ensuring football plays a role in helping shape a more inclusive society when the Southern Saints run out in a new “Pride” strip.

Arranged by star player Rhiannon Watt and donated by her employer KPMG, St Kilda’s new women’s team will follow in the footsteps of their male counterparts in promoting Pride.

Gun midfielder Ali Drennan is looking forward to running out in the new guernsey and supporting her teammates.

“There’s a lot of girls in our team who this means a lot to, you know, that they’re recognised as equals,” Drennan told saints.com.au.

“You’re playing footy with these girls, and of course you’d bleed for them on the footy field, but you care about their personal lives as well … that they’re treated equally by people wherever they are.”

Coming off the back of a 35-disposal, best-on-ground performance in the Saints’ historic first win, the ex-College basketballer said treating people with respect no matter what their circumstance was incredibly important to her.

“That was always a big thing for me, playing over in America too, just really caring for my teammates, because then you start to think differently. It’s good to open your mind a bit,” she said.

Southern Saint Ali Drennan looks forward to running out in the new Pride guernsey.

For St Kilda’s General Manager of Community, Lisa Laing, the appalling nature of these statistics has been a big driver for her long history of involvement in equality movements.

“When you understand the statistics around homophobia in sport, and the fewer numbers of people who are participating or even coming to watch because they don’t feel safe, I think as an AFL club we’ve got a real reason to step up and help that,” Laing told saints.com.au.

“My work in Pride has just really come about by wanting everyone to feel included, and I think I’ve always just had that as part of my nature.”

Laing also credits the efforts of St Kilda CEO Matt Finnis in getting the Saints’ annual Pride Match against the Swans off the ground.

“When Matt joined, we really championed this from an AFL perspective. He was a leader in having the Saints step in to support Pride from the beginning,” she said.

“Having AFL players, who are well recognised, wearing Pride colours and publicly supporting days like IDAHOBIT sends a really positive message to the LGBTIQ and broader football community.

“The colours are just a great symbol for the LGBTIQ community to know that we’re standing with them and would like them to be part of our game.”

It’s Laing’s hope that the need for a Pride Match to raise awareness and drive acceptance for the LGBTIQ community will be diminished in years to come.

“In 10 years’ time, you absolutely hope that you don’t have to have a Pride Match,” she said.

“You hope that your audience is more representative of the community, and that you have players that feel safe to be playing at their club at all levels, whether that be community football or AFL football.”

The Southern Saints will look to build on their first win of the season when they host the Casey Demons at Skybus Stadium at 3:30pm on Saturday 19 May.

Go Saints

The Southern Saints have claimed their second win of the season, producing a come-from-behind victory to defeat Casey Demons by eight points at SkyBus Stadium late Saturday afternoon.

Down by 12 points at the final break, the Saints kicked three goals early in the term to take the lead for the first time in the match.

The Saints fought hard to hold the ball inside their forward half before Ali Brown launched from outside 50m, bouncing through a goal.

The Demons charged forward in a frantic few final minutes, reducing the margin to just eight points, but it was ultimately not enough as the Saints clung on for a 6.3 (39) to 4.7 (31) victory.

Photos: Southern Saints upset Demons

Saints head coach Peta Searle said there was a sense of excitement among the group as she addressed the team at three-quarter time.

“I said [to the players] it was an opportunity to get a win against a quality outfit, who have quite a few AFLW players. I said really, it was up to them, destiny was in their hands,” Searle admitted post-match.

“The girls, with both an offensive and defensive mindset, needed to be there for the whole quarter and they were.”

The Southern Saints ran out in a pride guernsey for IDAHOT.

With the Southern Saints sporting a pride strip in recognition of the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Intersexism and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT) held earlier in the week, it was an uphill battle for the young Saints as Casey took advantage of a first-quarter gale.

But the Saints didn’t give up, their pressure causing the Demons to misfire with 2.5 (11) for the quarter.

Southern Saints' historic first win

After a scoreless first term, the Saints responded through Danielle Lawrence and Megan Supple, who converted from free kicks.

Rhiannon Watt’s ruck work gifted the Saints first use, while their sustained forward pressure took its toll on the Dees, who sprayed several kick-ins.

The Saints impressively held Casey to only one major in the third quarter, as the backline worked hard to negate most of the Demon’s forward 50m entries.

After impressing in the backline for three quarters, Kate Macqueen swung forward in the last and proved critical, booting two crucial goals within three minutes to give the Saints a one-point lead.

A goal from star midfielder Ali Drennan followed soon after, bringing the Saints’ home crowd to life, who willed the girls onto their second straight win.

Drennan's football fuelled by unusual fitness regime

Drennan was awarded a second best-on-ground performance in as many weeks, the midfielder finishing the game with a match-high 22 disposals and 12 tackles.

Searle was full of praise for Drennan’s performance post-match, labelling the midfielder a “running machine”.

“She didn’t get a rest, and she probably ran the most in the last quarter. She plays with a big heart and plays for her mates,” the head coach said.

“Her ability to run onto the ball and kick it forward is very impressive.”

The Southern Saints host Essendon at the Trevor Barker Beach Oval at 11:30am on Sunday 27 May.

Become a member of the Southern Saints

Southern Saints 0.0 (0) 2.1 (13) 2.1 (13) 6.3 (39)
Casey Demons 2.5 (17) 2.5 (17) 3.7 (25) 4.7 (31)

GOALS K. Macqueen 2, M. Supple, A. Brown, A. Drennan, D. Lawrence
BEST A. Drennan, R. Watt, G. Walker, K. Macqueen, A. Brown, S. Karlson

NEXT UP

Southern Saints vs Essendon
11:30am Sunday 27 May at Trevor Barker Beach Oval

IMG_6030-10.jpg IMG_6269-15.jpg IMG_6411-26.jpg IMG_6681-39.jpg IMG_6857-48.jpg IMG_7086-56.jpg PrideSouthernSaints-620.jpg

Go Saints

Last edited:
Did anyone catch the score for the NT Thunder v Essendon game last weekend?
Essendon kicked 4:0 for qtr 1, and NOTHING after.
Final Score:

NT Thunder 14.12.96
Essendon 4.0.24

Strange thing: Essendon was in front at qtr time.

Our girls could get a streak happening this weekend!!

PS: How good must those Thunder girls be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back