AFLW St Kilda vs Port Adelaide - Round 9 @ Moorabbin

Remove this Banner Ad

Some basic stuff ups when the game was on the line. But that has been us all year.

Apart from Sydney game, we cant string 2 big quarters in a game.

Houghton's kick didnt hit the post.

Erin played her best game. Was very mobile despite knee concern.

Umpiring was atrocious but we had our chances. Really poor skill level in many aspects of the game and the Coach needs to be put on notice, 'fix it before next season or thanks and goodbye'.

Surman had a shot and from 25 out couldn't make the distance. Houghton had a shot a bit further out and according to the goal ump hit the post.

I have replayed that Houghton shot and from the camera angle it looked like a goal but the goal umpire definitely calls out 'hit the post'. What he fails to do is tap the post with his hand. If he thinks it grazed the post fine, but signal that is what happened ffs. It had to have hit the post in the ump's opinion there is no way that it passed between goal and behind posts.

Last edited:
I have replayed that Houghton shot and from the camera angle it looked like a goal but the goal umpire definitely calls out 'hit the post'. What he fails to do it tap the post with his hand. If he thinks it grazed the post fine, but signal that is what happened.

He was not under the ball and in no position to be able to judge if it hit the post.

Watching on my 500cm 12k TV I can assure you it did not graze the post. 🔎

He was not under the ball and in no position to be able to judge if it hit the post.

Watching on my 500cm 12k TV I can assure you it did not graze the post. 🔎

I am not arguing that it did but the goal ump believes it did and his opinion counts- unfortunately. From watching the replay it looked a goal and the ump stuffed it up for sure.

I would like to think that someone in the AFL will look at that call and make the umpire answerable but we know that will not happen.

There is no escaping the fact that had we taken our chances the goal ump's incompetence or some of the other atrocious umpiring decisions and non decisions would not have mattered.

We were robbed but we have to move on.

The issue is, if you want people to take this sport seriously then you need to have field umpires that are even semi competent, but for gods sake, goal umpires.

Last edited:
The issue is, if you want people to take this sport seriously then you need to have field umpires that are even semi competent, but for gods sake, goal umpires.

The boundary umpires were rubbish too. Saw every oob free kick to the Saints, any to us, Oh no, the Saints player touched it before it went out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFLW spent some some of the thousands they spend on social/political issues on umpiring I am sure we would see a big improvement.

Goal umpire signalled it hit the post, I haven't seen a replay, but did it?

Edit: working backwards through the thread.
He actually didn't signal it hit the post - by tapping it (because he was too far from the post to do so -lol). He yelled it out.

Take a look where the goal umpire is and where the ball is.

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 9.01.34 pm.png

He actually didn't signal it hit the post - by tapping it (because he was too far from the post to do so -lol). He yelled it out.

Take a look where the goal umpire is and where the ball is.

View attachment 1541904
There’s enough daylight between the ball and the post to fit the Queen Mary between them.
Shocking decision goal umpire should be sacked then shot.

There’s enough daylight between the ball and the post to fit the Queen Mary between them.
Shocking decision goal umpire should be sacked then shot.
That's a tad unfair mate.

His biggest mistake was being on the ground tbh. And he didn't select himself.

A credit to the team they they didn't go ballistic. Reckon they knew that one poor decision shouldn't be used as cover for their 2nd half performance.

It’s good to see some of the youngins coming thru. Think our spine needs sharpening and as someone else mentioned, a bit more peripheral vision on the outside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back