AFLW St. Kilda vs Richmond Friday 7 January, 7.15pm Skybus Stadium Frankston

Great game Tigers and happy for the players and coaches, finally playing for points and that they've got off to such a great start. Mon is an absolute star of this comp. Courtney dominant forward and our forwards hungry. We will gain loads of confidence from the win and the way they constructed it. I can't remember a game where we were so solid across all areas of the ground. Our skill execution, especially our handball game was awesome. Now just need to keep the consistency of bringing at this level. We have a real test up next week against the Dees midfield of Paxton, Hanks etc, but we have the pieces to the jigsaw this year to hopefully now test some of the top teams.

Plus we tackled and tackled hard. Mon Conti led our tackle count and lay some brutal tackles.
Our pressure was off the charts.
Yes, they had good players out and if they played the margin would have been closer but there wasn’t an easy ball to be had for them pretty much all night. Result would not have changed.

Sep 17, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Stella Reid. Didn’t do a lot but the goal she kicked showed she has something 90% of the women players don’t have. Poise in traffic and kicking skills. When she got the ball in the pack always looked like she was going to kick it. Plus her left foot will give her an advantage of a bit of space as most opponents are not natural footballers and will assume and react she will go right not left.

Emelia Yassar. Terrier up forward and quite quick and looks like a natural footballer. As she gains experience skills will get better

Meagan Kiely. Fitted in nicely and improves the midfield. When Ella returns will drop back a spot and give some depth to the midfield or allow Ella to spend more time forward where goals are important in low scoring matche

Katie Brennan. Smooth mover on field. Looks like a footballer. Great leader encouraging others etc

Courtney Wakefield. One of the best pair of hands in the league. with this years set up and space and movement seemed to get to more contests

Gabby Seymour. Have never seen another AFLW player look like she is enjoying playing as much. Plus she is a consistently high possession player for her size position. Improving every year

Monique Conti. Huge possession winner and looked more effective than in other years. Didn’t try to do it all herself and hold onto the ball too long

Stella Reid. Didn’t do a lot but the goal she kicked showed she has something 90% of the women players don’t have. Poise in traffic and kicking skills. When she got the ball in the pack always looked like she was going to kick it. Plus her left foot will give her an advantage of a bit of space as most opponents are not natural footballers and will assume and react she will go right not left.

Emelia Yassar. Terrier up forward and quite quick and looks like a natural footballer. As she gains experience skills will get better

Meagan Kiely. Fitted in nicely and improves the midfield. When Ella returns will drop back a spot and give some depth to the midfield or allow Ella to spend more time forward where goals are important in low scoring matche

Katie Brennan. Smooth mover on field. Looks like a footballer. Great leader encouraging others etc

Courtney Wakefield. One of the best pair of hands in the league. with this years set up and space and movement seemed to get to more contests

Gabby Seymour. Have never seen another AFLW player look like she is enjoying playing as much. Plus she is a consistently high possession player for her size position. Improving every year

Monique Conti. Huge possession winner and looked more effective than in other years. Didn’t try to do it all herself and hold onto the ball too long

Really good observations.
I take it you mean Ellie McK when you refer to Ella.

Great call on Wakefield. If she was 5 or so years younger they’d be talking about her as the AFLW’s greatest forward. That’s how much I rate her.
Unlikely to continue after this year but gee I hope she does.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
How do we convince Tessa Lavey to give that basketball crap a miss and just concentrate on the game she was born to play??

yep Lavey is a gun
wow 2nd year in & she looks like a player that's played footy for years
clearly our 2nd best player last night i thought

i shake my head at some of the things she does, great evasive skills, pace great kick, tackles hard, runs all day, wow just bloody wow
definitively has got better this year, 19 disposals, 2nd best after Mon for us

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
some tacticts from last night that i saw

Kiely starting HFF & playing as an extra midfielder around then ground, kicked 2 goals, 11 disposals, 5 tackles, more than handy addition

Brennan started CHF but as the game went on, started in centre & then moved FWD, kicked 2 goals, 12 disposals, 6 tackles, great captains game

Best centre set up seemed to be Kelly, S.Hosking, Conti & Maddy Branc, won a lot of clearances, got the ball going our way

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
I dont follow AFLW really but anybody know why Akec Makur Chuot was not playing ?

I met her at airport west shopping center once and spent nearly 30 minutes chatting to her
really nice girl and extremely polite she was wearing the richmond polo with so much pride

Injured. Knee I think

I dont follow AFLW really but anybody know why Akec Makur Chuot was not playing ?

I met her at airport west shopping center once and spent nearly 30 minutes chatting to her
really nice girl and extremely polite she was wearing the richmond polo with so much pride
Injured. Knee I think
Don’t think she is in our top 21 players now.
She was under a injury cloud but was apparently fit enough for consideration

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Poppy Kelly slotted into our team magnificently. Hope her knee is ok.

Genuine ruck option which Sabrina was not.
ferg said shes ok, barely lost a tap out and really shows she's got some craft , competes well and will clunk some nice marks at times,,,really good recruit thought maddy branc showed shes stepped up again, some neat work in the middle when it was pretty hot. i gotta alot of time for Lavey, reckon shes gonna make her mark on aflw , she has all the tricks and with the agility of an aussie baller can impact the game

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

Kiely starting HFF & playing as an extra midfielder around then ground, kicked 2 goals, 11 disposals, 5 tackles, more than handy addition

Brennan started CHF but as the game went on, started in centre & then moved FWD, kicked 2 goals, 12 disposals, 6 tackles, great captains game

Best centre set up seemed to be Kelly, S.Hosking, Conti & Maddy Branc, won a lot of clearances, got the ball going our way
yea the newbs will improve too, aflw is a fair step up from vflw,,,theyll learn just how much time they got. millzy showcased some tricks very nearly took a couple of strong grabs Q1 , friendly fire spoilt the sec one, a real terrier with neat skills

Akec is great. One of the go to media people we have at the club.

Her story would make a great movie.

Blessed with athletic ability and just needs to work on the footy stuff. Have to remember some of these girls came to footy at a later age.

ferg said shes ok, barely lost a tap out and really shows she's got some craft , competes well and will clunk some nice marks at times,,,really good recruit thought maddy branc showed shes stepped up again, some neat work in the middle when it was pretty hot. i gotta alot of time for Lavey, reckon shes gonna make her mark on aflw , she has all the tricks and with the agility of an aussie baller can impact the game

That's good news on Poppy Kelly Bo.

She went Ok in the praccy, but even better in Round1 - her dominance there is going to be important to Conti as sides try to force Conti to defend the centre bounce - Kelly has the scope to blow that out of water with her strong taps forward - get ready for some Conti streaming forward from the centre bounce. Add Keily coming off Centre Square for a handball receive and give back to Conti - we are going to get some riveting centre breaks in the weeks to come.

Last edited:
i dont think thatll happen given she represents AUS , glad shes in the Y&B

Wonder if she has been tempted by any temporary contracts in the WNBA like are being thrown around in the NBA at the moment.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

Reckon our front half functioned really well with addition of Kiely , Reid aNd millzy too . Wakefield and kB presented a massive threat when some qty ball came i50 , stahl is gaining in confidence , Bernadi bobbed up for 2G however dropped 4 chest marks , that’s right ,,,,4 ,,,,most i50 too. Needs to fix that or will be worked out of the side

Profop

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Whichever side of the fence you sit on regarding vaccines, to suggest Georgia doesn’t care about her team is utterly ridiculous.
I guess right and wrong can be considered two sides of a fence

Not ridiculous at all, nothing stopping her from being out there and helping her teammates and she’s choosing to leave them high and dry

Profop

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Yassir gave me Kane Lambert vibes, I think she’s going to be very underrated by everyone except for Tigers supporters pretty quickly

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
yea the newbs will improve too, aflw is a fair step up from vflw,,,theyll learn just how much time they got. millzy showcased some tricks very nearly took a couple of strong grabs Q1 , friendly fire spoilt the sec one, a real terrier with neat skills

Yassir & Kiely really picked up the tempo well, Reid did a few nice things

Burchell led to open space a few times & was out, but due to positioning of the players in the other side off the ground or lack of confidence in her, she wasn't used
she should keep it up & hopefully players will trust her more, hopefully = more possies, more impact, which is lacking ATM

Stahl needs to calm down a bit, trying too hard to do too much, hopefully will slow it down & get some composure in her game
has the talent, but needs to improve her awareness & decision making, don't just drop the ball when tackled & make an effort to release the ball rather than just putting her hands in the air
Miller is a bit like this but is improving quicker than Stahl

our ball movement was slick & more direct, hit up targets easily & very well, totally opposite from the praccy game
some passages were like watching the mens AFL play

backline seems even stronger, J.Hosking, Shevlin & Lynch adding to that overall strength

Bernardi surprised me, as i thought she was on her last legs, funny how more I50 entries = more opportunities for certain players, looks quicker as well
could of got a couple of more shots on goals had she stuck her marks

Kelly a huge improvement on Frederick, it's criminal what we gave the Saints for her
what were they thinking?

ist Rd against a depleted Saints line up, 38 point win is what should of happened, & it did
the next 2 Rds Demons & Dockers will tell us where we are in relation to the big dogs

1641612517768.png

1641612601340.png

1641612668133.png

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I guess right and wrong can be considered two sides of a fence

Not ridiculous at all, nothing stopping her from being out there and helping her teammates and she’s choosing to leave them high and dry

Whichever side of the fence you sit on regarding vaccines, to suggest Georgia doesn’t care about her team is utterly ridiculous.

i agree up to a point regarding Patrikios, she's entitled to her choices, but they have consequences which were obvious a while out from the seasons start

for the forceeable future, the rules in this pandemic look like they're here to stay

i am in no way knocking her (or Deni Varnhagen & Liam Jones) for the choice she's made, but why hasn't she already, by now, weighed up her options?

Georgia does care about her team mates, as such if no jab, she should've agreed by now to be put on the inactive list & allow a replacement player
Saints could've got maybe Meg Macdonald from their VFLW side before us & would of played last night against us, maybe doing pretty well

believe me i have no care factor regarding Saints, Patrikios, Jab, no Jab, just be an adult & make a decision stick by it & move on
don't whine, whinge, cry how unfair (Deni Varnhagen) & don't drag your heels hoping for a change from the AFL on no jab no play rule (Patrikios)

end of rant/post :)

Last edited:
Yassir & Kiely really picked up the tempo well, Reid did a few nice things
Honestly think Kiely already had the tempo - training at North and being their VFL Capt helped her game be AFL ready. We stole her from North. Her positioning is excellent - like that 1st qtr goal running on open side of the tackler, ball pops out into her hands and still has the pace to clear that group for the easiest of goals. Millzy looked like she was about to expode in the last qtr - that weighted pass to the Captain was cm perfect - and don't you think Brennan knew how good it was too!

Burchell led to open space a few times & was out, but due to positioning of the players in the other side off the ground or lack of confidence in her, she wasn't used she should keep it up & hopefully players will trust her more, hopefully = more possies, more impact, which is lacking ATM
Interesting perspective. was give more opps in the Praccy but just wasn't up to it I thought. Think she is a great story, is leaving nothing to chance, but just seems a bit slow for size in the reaction stakes.

Stahl needs to calm down a bit, trying too hard to do too much, hopefully will slow it down & get some composure in her game
has the talent, but needs to improve her awareness & decision making, don't just drop the ball when tackled & make an effort to release the ball rather than just putting her hands in the air
Miller is a bit like this but is improving quicker than Stahl
What a frustration Stahl must be to a coaching group. From all reports it's all out on show on the track, but doesn't easily translate on game day. I said last season that I would get her involved early somehow - get the biorhythms up asap - she coasts too much looking for the easier play. Could be anything, might be nothing. Yassir will go past her fast and Sophie Locke might as well. Hope she finds the key because she could easily kick 5 one game and do it all in one quarter if the supply comes.
Miller utterly different. Stahl is all intuition, Miller is all thought through. Miller is way better than most realise. She is kicking out over the 50m arc at times when someone is on. She and D'arcy have built a good understanding.

our ball movement was slick & more direct, hit up targets easily & very well, totally opposite from the praccy game
some passages were like watching the mens AFL play backline seems even stronger, J.Hosking, Shevlin & Lynch adding to that overall strength

It was sometimes, but we do need to keep that proverbial lid on it because it could all have been different if it were full roster v full roster. It was a really good practice game in prep for the Melbourne game - be interesting tonight to see how quickly they (Melb / WB) blow out the cobwebs and show what centre clearances are like. Freo will have a training drill tonight as well.

Having the luxury of Seymour as a biggish mid was gold tonight (thank you again Poppy). How was that pass she drilled to Brennan (pretty sure that was her cause Lynch was on the other flank at the time). That sort of delivery is going to be gold. If we talk backline we just say D'arcy. Jess slotted in very well, but D'arcy was supreme down there. But for her we could have been staring a two goal deficit at Qtr time and god knows what at half time if that got their tails up.

Bernardi surprised me, as i thought she was on her last legs, funny how more I50 entries = more opportunities for certain players, looks quicker as well
could of got a couple of more shots on goals had she stuck her marks

Talking of here legs, did you notice no bandages on the knees whatsoever? That goal she got in the second fills me with hope that not only is she back to her best, she might even get better, or at least smarter. She was being front-on-minded at that stoppage, so Bernardi faked her one way, which allowed her to push past and time the palm of the opposing Ruckman to perfection and off two steps through traffic - GOAL! The key was she was the only person moving at pace, Stella Reid was also a chance for that ball as she had drifted toward the same play - Bernardi had momentum though. Really hope she watches that play over and again a few times - that is her bag! Like you perhaps, after last season I gave her no hope of getting back to that sort of play the way her knees were - may they hold up!

Kelly a huge improvement on Frederick, it's criminal what we gave the Saints for her
what were they thinking?
Agree, who ever is doing the recruit spotting is earning their keep - we have picked up some gems for the level the game is at. Not stars but players that can really make a mark on the next few seasons. Poppy has that potential, if she can release Conti more and more in the that centre square, but even more importantly, at around the ground stoppages. The task is there to structure up our forward line for this.

1st Rd against a depleted Saints line up, 38 point win is what should of happened, & it did.
the next 2 Rds Demons & Dockers will tell us where we are in relation to the big dogs

Spot on Stanley - even if we can establish more of those playing systems and pull a few off against good sides it will make us ready for the rest of the season

Last edited:
Back