AFLW St. Kilda vs Richmond Friday 7 January, 7.15pm Skybus Stadium Frankston

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been disappointed with Brennan’s output over the two years, but on Friday night she was absolutely superb.
She doesn’t need to boss it like that each week, but gee it would be nice.
Playing her forward now with the odd stint in the middle for impact has made a huge difference.

Reckon we've found one with Meagan Kiely.

Has Kane Lambert feels about it.

1641794915967.png 1641795035324.png

Last edited:
yes you can hear at the start of the broadcast the commentator says
"Tigers have 4 & Saints 3 players missing because of AFL Covid health and safety protocols."

you naming Akec, can only guess Molan might be another

Sophie was mingling with the team post match so can’t be a covid thing.

Agree, that girl chasing Brennan may have got her she was making the ground, but Mon's body contact was enough for those extra steps of balance. Bet all the girls are chiding the miss by Wakefield in the good humour only a win allows ;)

The chaser, Kate McCarthy, would have caught her no doubt. Quite a story herself actually. Probably the fastest girl in AFLW and has put together a few highlights in AFLW with her explosive speed. Represented Australia in the Pan Pacific Youth Games and ran a PB of 12.06 for the 100m (Pan Pac games record is 11.5). Moved to touch rugby and again represented Aust in both womens and mixed sides. All the more amazing when you hear that she had a pacemaker inserted at around 12 years of age and needed a cardiologist's ok to play Aussie Rules.

It's the sort of story that grabs my attention so that's why I know a little about her background.

Must admit I didn't notice anything and can't remember anything being said in the telecast.

Charges Laid:

Harriet Cordner,
Richmond, has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Kate McCarthy, St Kilda, during the second quarter of the Round One match between St Kilda and Richmond, played at Skybus Stadium on Friday, January 7, 2022.

In summary, she can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a $400 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

The chaser, Kate McCarthy, would have caught her no doubt. Quite a story herself actually. Probably the fastest girl in AFLW and has put together a few highlights in AFLW with her explosive speed. Represented Australia in the Pan Pacific Youth Games and ran a PB of 12.06 for the 100m (Pan Pac games record is 11.5). Moved to touch rugby and again represented Aust in both womens and mixed sides. All the more amazing when you hear that she had a pacemaker inserted at around 12 years of age and needed a cardiologist's ok to play Aussie Rules.

It's the sort of story that grabs my attention so that's why I know a little about her background.

Incredible, she is certainly quick and was making nearly a metre on Brennan with every stride Brennan made - no doubt Mon would have known how quick and it was quick thinking by her really. Thank for sharing that - will watch out for her some more.

Must admit I didn't notice anything and can't remember anything being said in the telecast.

Charges Laid:

Harriet Cordner,
Richmond, has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Kate McCarthy, St Kilda, during the second quarter of the Round One match between St Kilda and Richmond, played at Skybus Stadium on Friday, January 7, 2022.

In summary, she can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a $400 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Don't even recall it getting a free kick did it? Off the ball a bit perhaps?

Sophie was mingling with the team post match so can’t be a covid thing.

And when you watched the team go out on the ground at the beginning of the game, she was at the door slapping the hands of each girl as they made their way out and gave Brennan a bit of hug I think - so definitely not Covid. A niggle maybe.

And when you watched the team go out on the ground at the beginning of the game, she was at the door slapping the hands of each girl as they made their way out and gave Brennan a bit of hug I think - so definitely not Covid. A niggle maybe.
Maybe they’re all trying to catch it so Melbourne game gets called off and awarded a draw 😉

Lol. Did she only take two?
How good am I going?
They weee two very good pack marks though.

Harry Mackay got the highest average contested marks in the men last season with 2.6.

2 contested marks on a wet night is a bloody good marking game, IMO. The first one was a ripper.

So good to be watching live football again.

We didn't do much wrong. Toughness around the footy the clear stand-out for me. Close 2nd - we were cohesive. A few have mentioned it. Not only did we look like a team, we looked like a Richmond team. Tackled like we meant it, chased hard, and quick release by handball.

I don't think we lost a centre bounce hit-out all night, but went to exactly the same spot every time. We clearly had a plan, but a Plan B will be needed against better opposition.

Another area I thought we can improve is the run out of the back half. Didn't have too much trouble winning the ball back, but on that long, slippery ground, chip-mark, chip-mark brought us unstuck a few times. Bit of carry would have exposed the oppo backs more, IMO.

St Kilda aren't much chop, and with so many players out, they were lucky to get that close. Is there a worse supporter base for cheering for the umpires? Biggest cheers of the night were for frees. Persecution complex.

Bring on Rnd 2 at Punt Rd! Can't wait to see how we go against the Demons possession game. Spot of rain wouldn't hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry Mackay got the highest average contested marks in the men last season with 2.6.

2 contested marks on a wet night is a bloody good marking game, IMO. The first one was a ripper.
her ruckwork was very good, really looked like she knew what she was doing with directed tapouts and has got herself super fit, a good season awaits , the mids will love her in the CBD

We didn't do much wrong. Toughness around the footy the clear stand-out for me. Close 2nd - we were cohesive. A few have mentioned it. Not only did we look like a team, we looked like a Richmond team. Tackled like we meant it, chased hard, and quick release by handball.

I don't think we lost a centre bounce hit-out all night, but went to exactly the same spot every time. We clearly had a plan, but a Plan B will be needed against better opposition.

Another area I thought we can improve is the run out of the back half. Didn't have too much trouble winning the ball back, but on that long, slippery ground, chip-mark, chip-mark brought us unstuck a few times. Bit of carry would have exposed the oppo backs more, IMO.

St Kilda aren't much chop, and with so many players out, they were lucky to get that close. Is there a worse supporter base for cheering for the umpires? Biggest cheers of the night were for frees. Persecution complex.

Bring on Rnd 2 at Punt Rd! Can't wait to see how we go against the Demons possession game. Spot of rain wouldn't hurt.
the couple of occasions we flunked a valuable go I50 , our HB ran out of options, we need cavalry coming through for release handball rather than run into brick walls that we did a couple a times

her ruckwork was very good, really looked like she knew what she was doing with directed tapouts and has got herself super fit, a good season awaits , the mids will love her in the CBD

Seymour is probably my fav Tigress, and I love her ruck work. Was a little sad to have her relegated to #2 before the game, but I'm in the Poppy Club now! Uses her big frame the way a ruck should. Competed for everything in the air.

the couple of occasions we flunked a valuable go I50 , our HB ran out of options, we need cavalry coming through for release handball rather than run into brick walls that we did a couple a times

Absolutely. Need that zip for a bit better balance.

Seymour is probably my fav Tigress, and I love her ruck work. Was a little sad to have her relegated to #2 before the game, but I'm in the Poppy Club now! Uses her big frame the way a ruck should. Competed for everything in the air.

One of my fav too.

Make no mistake, Gabby is one of the first picked. Her footy improvement has been incredible given she only seriously started paying the game a few short years ago. Just a super competitive player. Tall and strong and when she has busted a gut running she will run some more.

Was almost criminal how she was used as a defender in our first year. Expect bigger things from her.

Was actually surprised to read just how long Ferg has been a Tiger. Super impressive guy.

With us since 2015 and was involved in our 2017 and 2019 AFL flags and our 2019 VFL Flag.

That's 7 years preaching the Richmond way and 4 flags. Recruited players to play specific roles and let them play to their strengths instead of trying to turn them into different players. Gosh that sounds familiar.

Not surprised the women are showing glimpses of what made our men's side successful.

When Conti is tagged harder, and she will by better players, this quality tap work is going to make a huge difference. You could see the efforts being made to give Mon some space to run to the ball, as opposed to always defending the centre bounce.

One of my fav too.

Make no mistake, Gabby is one of the first picked. Her footy improvement has been incredible given she only seriously started paying the game a few short years ago. Just a super competitive player. Tall and strong and when she has busted a gut running she will run some more.

Was almost criminal how she was used as a defender in our first year. Expect bigger things from her.

It would not surprise me if we use her as a tall mid - she has got the athleticism and as you say, the competitive instincts to be serious threat in there. That pass she drilled to Brennan was a sign of things to come I suspect.

Was actually surprised to read just how long Ferg has been a Tiger. Super impressive guy.

With us since 2015 and was involved in our 2017 and 2019 AFL flags and our 2019 VFL Flag.

That's 7 years preaching the Richmond way and 4 flags. Recruited players to play specific roles and let them play to their strengths instead of trying to turn them into different players. Gosh that sounds familiar.

Not surprised the women are showing glimpses of what made our men's side successful.

Have always liked Ferg alot. Got to speak with him a few times when the Club trained up here on the Sunshine Coast. Was always happy to discuss footy, skills and strategy. Has the demeanor to be brilliant in this role - it's showing........

Last edited:
It would not surprise me if we use her as a tall mid - she has got the athleticism and as you say, the competitive instincts to be serious threat in there. That pass she drilled to Brennan was a sign of things to come I suspect.

Totally agree.

Won’t do fergs resume any harm at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back