Preview St Kilda vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing with Tom is that his approach hasnt changed in a post 3rd man up world. He still looks to engage the bigger ruckman and the push off to create space.

Previously Gilbert of Acres would then go 3rd up and help us clear the ball which meant Hickey could use that step of space to get a possession with no opponent.

Now he is just getting tangled up and monstered by ruckmen who have a physical edge on him.

Why not try something different?

At a ball up start behind the umpire. Use his pace to move through the contest in the opposite direction to the other ruck. The opposition ruck will need to be concious about making contact and keeping eyes on the footy while Hickey is free to jump. If they infringe then its a free kick.

At a boundary throw in dont run next to the ruckman and come straight at the ball. Stand 5-8m to the left or right of the pack and judge the ball in flight.

This could help get some momentum going through the stoppage and, if we get clear, then Hickey has that step on his opponent who will need to change direction and chase. If the opposition mids get in the way it will be a free kick for blocking.

It just seems dumb to haveHickey try and ruck the same way as bigger, stronger ruckmen do. He doent have that game. Nor does he have that super athletic jump to get a few inches of height.

Tom's game needs to be about angles and positioning. He needs to attack the contest from directions that make the opposition uncomfortable.

If he plays this week and we get more of the same then he should look for a club that can better utilise his athleticism and around the ground skills.

People he had a shocker - give the guy a chance , we know he is better than that - suppose he feels under the pump , knowing he has to perform or he is out - well he didn't perform , so back to the twos , he will get better he is still young and is good around the ground when he has got his //// together , Longer back this week and let Hickey impress in the 2s before bringing him back, however to me he is a required player because you need another ruckman if Longer goes down and I would not trade him unless you were able to get a better replacement and not many rucks like playing in the 2s waiting for the number one ruck to get hurt to get a run, remember if we get Kelly and Martin it doesn't matter if we win in the ruck or not - they will get the ball anyway.

In: Webster, Marshall, Longer(Holmes), Acres, Dunstan
Out: McKenzie, Gilbert, Hickey, Battle, Long

Was about to argue about dropping Gilbert , then I remembered , damn , just what we didn't need.

In: Acres, Longer, Marshall, Webster, Dunstan
Out: Hickey, Long, Battle, DMac, Gilbert

I'd also like to see Freeman get a game this season.

Rice comes in if Geary is injured also.

I think Special Fried is injured .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hearing there'll be at least one debutant Saturday night.

Me , they are just waiting on the ok by the club doctors , it was supposed to be a secret but it's out now . Lmao

Well if we decided to select the games we go to based on the likelihood of " getting mauled " there's a few of us who'd not see many games!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

On the plus side , Sydney have been on a winning streak , and like us they might come back to earth with a thud . Maybe it will be this week , let's hope so .

Yeah this is probably true, although I would point out that I said "Hickey's was the worst game I've ever seen". I didn't have to watch us suffer all through the 70s and 80s haha.

I did and yes back then we would have been talking excitedly about young Hickeys game against the Bombers . We were really bad in the 80s . Winning three games per year , watering the ground so it was a bog just to try bring the other side to our level. We had players like Jack Daniels who struggled to kick over the man on the mark . We were lucky the AFL didn't fold our club or even move it to Tassie or somewhere .

You are basing Longer being preferred off of nothing but some posts on a forum. If Longer was preferred then he would have played at the start of the season but he didn't, Hickey did. Hickey was backed in based off of last year and failed to perform. Saying Hickey was playing with no confidence at the start of the season because coaches at the club actually preferred Longer is just giving Hickey and excuse for playing badly.

Can't we all move on from this topic , or move it over to the Hickey vs Longer page , I'm so over it . And people there is no reason to get personal , not having a go at you LonietoMcCartin btw.

Whoops thats about 5 posts in a row , my bad ( hanging my head in shame )

Last edited:
People he had a shocker - give the guy a chance , we know he is better than that - suppose he feels under the pump , knowing he has to perform or he is out - well he didn't perform , so back to the twos , he will get better he is still young and is good around the ground when he has got his //// together , Longer back this week and let Hickey impress in the 2s before bringing him back, however to me he is a required player because you need another ruckman if Longer goes down and I would not trade him unless you were able to get a better replacement and not many rucks like playing in the 2s waiting for the number one ruck to get hurt to get a run, remember if we get Kelly and Martin it doesn't matter if we win in the ruck or not - they will get the ball anyway.

There is one thing about Hickey's game on Friday and its that he won contested ball. Yes his disposal was crap, but the end result is no worse than all those so called inside mids who didn't want to get leather on their hands.

If we want to beat Sydney we NEED to win contested ball.
Steven won a bit , but no more than Heppel, and there were other Essendon players who won more.
Steele, Ross, Stevens did not win enough of the ball.
I'll do my Damian Barrett impersonation.

If: You are an inside mid and you win less contested ball than Jack Lonie or Tom Hickey. Then: You ain't doing it right.

Acres /Dunstan/ Freeman....?

Came to get the vibe here and read 8 pages about Hickey, Longer and Holmes.
My advice, play all three.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah word is out that we are playing Longer at FF, after all he kicked a goal against the Tigers, so he knows how to kick straight.:huh:
Hickey is our new FB, did you see how he spoilt Carlisle? He's a natural.:eek:
That leaves Holmes in the ruck, can jump so may give our mids a chance.:D

If we want to beat Sydney we NEED to win contested ball.
Steven won a bit , but no more than Heppel, and there were other Essendon players who won more.
Steele, Ross, Stevens did not win enough of the ball.
I'll do my Damian Barrett impersonation.

If: You are an inside mid and you win less contested ball than Jack Lonie or Tom Hickey. Then: You ain't doing it right.

Acres /Dunstan/ Freeman....?

Steele is a bit of a front runner, Ross usually takes time to work his way into a game, before racking them up, so if Stevens or Steven doesn't get first use of the ball early, we are doomed.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back