Review St Kilda vs Tigers: Post game review

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen a fair bit of the replay and I was surprised that the wind wasn't mentioned in the commentary at all, especially when Roo chipped it to the top of the goalsquare from about 48m out at the Punt Rd end, rather than having a set shot for goal. I'm not sure anyone made the distance from 48-50m out at that end and that's because the wind was pulling them all up. On the other hand, up the other end Nick hit the post about 1/3 of the way up from about 53m out, so it was very different kicking to that end.

The wind also affected some of the field kicks, especially early on as they were getting used to it, including I believe Gilbo's kick across the ground that got intercepted early in the game.
Commentators provide information - you're living in lala land.

I've seen a fair bit of the replay and I was surprised that the wind wasn't mentioned in the commentary at all, especially when Roo chipped it to the top of the goalsquare from about 48m out at the Punt Rd end, rather than having a set shot for goal. I'm not sure anyone made the distance from 48-50m out at that end and that's because the wind was pulling them all up. On the other hand, up the other end Nick hit the post about 1/3 of the way up from about 53m out, so it was very different kicking to that end.

The wind also affected some of the field kicks, especially early on as they were getting used to it, including I believe Gilbo's kick across the ground that got intercepted early in the game.
Commentary were too busy making jokes about how s**t the game was instead of trying to actually do their job and enhance the game for the viewer, they also said that it was a perfect day for football and said there was no wind. But it was idiots like Eddie McGuire and Jonathon Brown so what do you expect, god they were giving me the shits yesterday. Brown at every opportunity says that Melbourne are ahead of us - LOL, let me know when they can actually beat us in a game champ.

Am I the only one that's worried about Lonie?

I hope it's just 2nd year blues but his disposal eff this year has been appalling. Which is strange considering he's one of the better users.
Also doesn't seem to be able to lay a single tackle!
Gets brushed aside way too easily.
And lastly he doesn't seem to be getting to the feet of the forwards and kicking goals this year.

As I said I hope it's 2nd year blues, and he comes back better next year. Because with Billings and Gresh playing more midfield next year (I assume) he needs to be that small crumbing forward we need.

Commentary were too busy making jokes about how s**t the game was instead of trying to actually do their job and enhance the game for the viewer, they also said that it was a perfect day for football and said there was no wind. But it was idiots like Eddie McGuire and Jonathon Brown so what do you expect, god they were giving me the shits yesterday. Brown at every opportunity says that Melbourne are ahead of us - LOL, let me know when they can actually beat us in a game champ.
Melbourne are ahead of us. Yet they lose to Essendon VFL team and are currently losing to Carlton haha

Lol at Gilbert making way for Murdoch or Lee!
Haven't read much of this thread, but was that seriously suggested? :eek:

He had game-high's yesterday for contested possessions, intercepts (with a very elite 12, 4 more than our next best in Dempster) and intercept marks. Also had over 20 disposals, was 6th highest for us for metres gained and ranked 7th for us for the game by Champion Data. I also don't remember him getting beaten in a marking contest.

He had game-high's yesterday for contested possessions, intercepts (with a very elite 12, 4 more than our next best in Dempster) and intercept marks. Also had over 20 disposals, was 6th highest for us for metres gained and ranked 7th for us for the game by Champion Data. I also don't remember him getting beaten in a marking contest.
I thought he was great yesterday as well. Except his kicking. That was awful. Was good a few weeks ago but we need to get him hand balling!

Melbourne are ahead of us. Yet they lose to Essendon VFL team and are currently losing to Carlton haha
I hope that they continue to be ahead of us with the results going as they have been going. May we play this team with a better list than us in grand final after grand final....

I thought he was great yesterday as well. Except his kicking. That was awful.
The funny thing is that it wasn't outright shanks like we've seen him do often in the past when he's missed targets. The 3 kicks that I remember him turning over were all decent kicks, but just either poor options, or in the case of the first one, I thought the wind got hold of it and held it up. Other than that he was very good, as the figures I mentioned show.

Paddy looked ready to tear the game to shreds!! Gutted for the big fella, but geez when it all comes together one day it will be something to see!

On the plus side, good teams win when they play badly. We are not a really good team yet, but today was another sign we are on our way.

Does anyone remember the Essendon game at Etihad (last round of the year) where we spanked them by about 15 goals to make top 4 on percentage? Assuming North lose, a 48 goal win against the Lions should be enough to get us into the 8!

* yeah I do
I drove over from sa on a whim and the crowd atmosphere was great as we were getting closer, strangers high giving and going nuts
Think we made the crows miss out on something, maybe the top 4 spot???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok so not exactly one for the DVD Collection
But.......
Untill he got hurt Paddy had kicked 2 goals in a few minutes playing on the best full back in the country. And hes only gonna miss 1 game and be fine for the pre season.
We beat a team whos midfield is rated much higher than ours.
We kept our opposition to the lowest score against us this yr.
Jack Riewoldt who usually smashes us was well held.
We won at the G again.
Weve now nearly doubled the amount of wins we had last yr.

If you think im gonna find negatives out of that game just cos it was an ugly win Pfffft.
We havnt come that far yet to complain about any win IMO.
Well done Saints:thumbsu:

Wouldn't underestimate how much losing Paddy effected/cost us yesterday. He looked very much "on" and could have been in for a bit of a bag, but not only that, he was our long bomb target and after he went off I felt like we didn't have the courage or will to kick it long and direct into the forward 50 as much and that it really affected our forwardline efficiency. For instance, in the first half, it was 28 inside-50's to just 12 for them, yet Richmond had taken 6 marks inside their 50 to just 8 for us. So just 2 more, from 16 more inside 50's. Really felt like losing Paddy cost us a lot and the chance to have a really comfortable win.

The funny thing is that it wasn't outright shanks like we've seen him do often in the past when he's missed targets. The 3 kicks that I remember him turning over were all decent kicks, but just either poor options, or in the case of the first one, I thought the wind got hold of it and held it up. Other than that he was very good, as the figures I mentioned show.

i was listening to the MMM commentary and one of them was actually saying that his team mates were hanging him out to dry by not running to present options and won't surprised by the turn over, they were blaming a lack of viable options.

I hope it's just 2nd year blues but his disposal eff this year has been appalling. Which is strange considering he's one of the better users.
And lastly he doesn't seem to be getting to the feet of the forwards and kicking goals this year.

As I said I hope it's 2nd year blues, and he comes back better next year. Because with Billings and Gresh playing more midfield next year (I assume) he needs to be that small crumbing forward we need.
Reckon people rate him better than he is. Good skills and agility but his size and the style of play isn't working

He's still playing schoolboy football instead of AFL football.....needs to make that transition. Until he does he won't lock a place in the starting 22......

I've said it before and I'll say it again, people should watch Gilbert's whole game rather than focus on one or two turnovers. Yesterday was a perfect example. Some terrible turnovers but geez a lot of solid play. Ended up being one of our best. Is an important part of the team and will be around for at least the next 2 years in our senior side IMO whilst we wait for the youngsters to improve and overtake him....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back