Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Lots of positives to take out of that I reckon

Jack Billings, what an absolute gem. If he didn't have 100% DE he was close to it. A shoe in for the rising star nom with 25 touches, 8 marks and 3 goals.

Shane Savage. Although shaky at times, by far his best game for the club. Showed some genuine pace dashing through the middle of the ground and was surprisingly good overhead.

Luke Delaney, how could we manage without him? Pantsed Kennedy for most of the night and had sticky hands.

Clint better not get a game next week. While he kicked 2 goals, he had 3 shocking turnovers from simple shanked kicks that cost us 3 goals.... That one off half back where he just needed to either hit up Newnes or put it out in front of him, but ended up kicking it just behind him & at his feet was just disgraceful! Resulted in a clean turnover to West Coast & I now have to bald spots on each side of my head from ripping my hair out (although the umpires contributed to that too). Was a great opportunity for a fast break, which had worked very well a few times tonight, & it was completely ****ed up by a shanked kick

Well done Billings on your rising star nomination this week.

Unless one of those new Eagles blokes in green gets the nod, they were very handy for them today.

Clint better not get a game next week. While he kicked 2 goals, he had 3 shocking turnovers from simple shanked kicks that cost us 3 goals.... That one off half back where he just needed to either hit up Newnes or put it out in front of him, but ended up kicking it just behind him & at his feet was just disgraceful! Resulted in a clean turnover to West Coast & I now have to bald spots on each side of my head from ripping my hair out (although the umpires contributed to that too). Was a great opportunity for a fast break, which had worked very well a few times tonight, & it was completely ****** up by a shanked kick
Changes for mine (although admittedly just going off the vfl stats) would be:

Out:
Milera
Jones
Gwilt
Simpkin

In:
Saunders (25 touches, 3 goals)
Schneider (33 touches, 7 tackles, 8 marks and a goal)
Stanley (3 goals)
Bruce

Clearly we are trying things to see what works. No one with any footy brain would leave out Bruce and a second ruck v the WC of all teams.

Savage played his best game for us. Minchington looked good, played like a REAL FORWARD (hint hint Richo). Wowee Billings. Armo being back really helps Jack. We will never stop loving Lenny. Longer looks buggered. Lee is not a ruckman, but played well otherwise. <3 Webster. <3 Mav. Milera is better in the midfield, but does a lot of poor stuff. Simpkin puts on a hell of a lot of pressure.

Not being able to take our opportunities cost us the game. Not just in terms of the ones that hit the scoreboard, but the chances that petered out, like Milera's dropped mark, the kick that was half a meter away from Armo, Rays poor kick to Riewoldt in the last quarter etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Dunstan, Montagna, Bruce, Hickey
Out: Jones, Milera, Simpkin, Someone

I'd try the Longer/Hickey combo for a week or two personally.

Annoying game of footy, but so many positives.

Jimmy Webster, will be an absolute gem. Cannot wait to get another preseason under his belt.

Savage, started slowly in the game, but worked into it, played with calm and hit many targets which is what we want from him. Love his effort in getting Lenny that goal in the Second quarter.

Delaney, got shafted by some of the atrocious turnovers we had, but in most 1v1 contests, gave JJK a bath. What a bargain pick up!

Longer, tried his absolute heart out. Broke even with NicNat imo, which is a fantastic effort with very little support. Next step for him, is probably to get a strong running based preseason under the belt, needs to start working hard forward (like Darren Jolly, David Hale etc), which will make rucking easier against a tired opponent.

Murdoch, will be a good player IMO, just has the footy awareness, noticed a couple of key contests in that last quarter where his spacial awareness to hit Minch with a handpass 5-10m away for a goal was exciting.

Weller, exceeded my expectations in terms of grunt and hard inside work, just needs a bit more composure, but that will come with experience.

Jack Billings, jeez I'm glad we picked you son. What a champion game today! 25 touches at 100% disposal efficiency. Thought the way he controlled the play through forcing Simpkin and various other teammates into the right spots with his kicking was outstanding, don't think we ever had that in our team, even in 09-10. Dal Santo and Goddard probably were the only ones able to do it on occasion.

Minchington, showed some fight, impacted a couple of important contests, look forward to seeing if he can keep it up.

Overall though, great to see a lot of our younger brigade at the top of the disposal count. Great bounce-back from last weeks shocker. A couple of tough years ahead, but with the influx of high picks, hopefully we can nab a few more Billings type talents, and build our list effectively. Would've been good to grab a win, but overall still very happy with our performance today.

Last on the ladder, you guys are trash!

Lions: For - 845, Against 1411, Percentage = 59.88%
Saints: For - 837, Against 1411, Percentage = 59.32%

/s

Jack Killings. What a gun. Reckon he could average close to 25 and 3 over a season one day.

Big thumbs up for Hayes, Weller, Steven, Newnes, Webster, Longer.

This week at training: kicking drills, non-stop. Get Billings to lead the session.

Prediction: Weller will develop into the A-Grade player he was hyped up to as a junior at the Saints. Will start being a really valuable player next year and will be gunning it in 2-3.

Yeah its funny to say considering how s**t we are, but someone's gonna be stiff at the end of the year to be delisted. We have heaps of guys who have shown a bit but not a heap.

Yeah its funny to say considering how s**t we are, but someone's gonna be stiff at the end of the year to be delisted. We have heaps of guys who have shown a bit but not a heap.
I don't think many will be delisted or if they do they won't be stiff IMO.

Likely retirements: Schneider, Fisher, Hayes, Jones maybe Delisting types: TDL, Maister + you add possibly trades or something. I'm not sure Minch will get elevated but hope he continues this type of form to push for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back