St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs Round 18 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Needless to say it’s a must win game to keep our season alive. Lose here and we can probably book our September holidays.

Last time these two sides played each other in Round 3, St Kilda won by 63 points in a dominant display. Since then the Bulldogs have been pretty competitive for most part of the season, despite losing 7 of the last 8.

St Kilda is coming off back to back interstate trips to Brisbane and Sydney and will be happy to be back under the roof of Etihad Stadium.

In big scheme of things St Kilda should be too strong, but they will need to shut down Bulldogs midfield and slow down the game as Dogs are most dangerous when it is free flowing. If Saints can stop their midfielders kicking goals then they will win easily.

KEY MATCHUPS
Lenny Hayes vs Mathew Boyd – Both basically untaggable and fully expect to see them go head to head once again.

Clint Jones vs Ryan Griffen – Will be interesting to see what Watters does with Jones as recently he hasn’t been going to opposition’s most dangerous midfielder. Will he run 2 or 3 players off him again or will Jones put hard tag on Griffen? He is their most damaging midfielder so believe he needs to be shut down.

Nick Dal Santo vs Liam Picken – Dal is going to have another tough day at the office with Picken putting full tag on him.

Stephen Milne vs Robert Murphy – Murphy has the pace and footy smarts to keep Milne under check, he will also make Milne work hard defensively as he will try set up a lot of Bulldogs play. Milne needs to be switched on early.

Nick Riewoldt vs Matt Austin

Justin Koschitzke/Beau Wilkes vs Brian Lake

MEDICAL ROOM
Rhys Stanley (hamstring), Jason Blake (ankle) both remain 3-5 weeks away from a return whilst Jack Newnes (soreness) should be available again this week.

Shaun Higgins was subbed out with hamstring last week and given his history would be extremely surprised to see him play.

TEAM CHANGES
Changes will be interesting, Kosi needs to be dropped, can't keep giftin him games. I reckon Macca can ruck 95% of game and Gilbert or someone can just pinch hit, so the Kosi need to play to ruck is ridiculous. Drop him to at least teach him lesson that he will no longer just be walk up player.

Ahmed Saad also would be on chopping block after uninspiring 4 disposal game. Arryn Siposs also being subbed off with only 4 touches might find himself in dange (although wonder if he was injured?)

Seb Ross, Jack Newnes, Brett Peake & Raph Clarke have been standouts in VFL last 2 weeks. Terry Milera didn't do great deal to show he's back in form. Tom Ledger had solid game on weekend so maybe considered, although think Ross is ahead at this stage.

Wonder if Daniel Markworth will be given a game against team like Bulldogs. Although he really isn't AFL ready & would probably get smashed.

Beau Wilkes & Farren Ray deserves more than 2 games in side so then can get some consistency. Wilkes hasn't played more than 2 games in row ALL YEAR!

ON THE BLOCK: Justin Koschitzke, Ahmed Saad, Arryn Siposs

IN CONTENTION: Beau Wilkes, Farren Ray, Terry Milera, Jack Newnes, Brett Peake, Seb Ross

LAST TIME THEY MET THIS HAPPENED

Can't see Saad getting dropped, even when he doesn't have the ball his forward pressure is immense.
He's a game changer as last week showed and I don't think he should be dropped after one poor game

For mine:

Out: Kosi, CJ
In: Wilkes, Ray

I know I say it every week but CJ's tagging jobs aren't worth his constant turnovers week in week out.

Kosi out speaks for itself. Put Milne in the ruck for all I care I'm sick of watching his 0-1 goal and 7-10 possession games. Give Dunell a full game, Ray or Geary as the sub.

Yea true. Guess only guy come in is Milera and watching him in VFL & can't say he would do any better!

Can't see Saad getting dropped, even when he doesn't have the ball his forward pressure is immense.
He's a game changer as last week showed and I don't think he should be dropped after one poor game

I agree, Saad is a gamebreaker like Milne that has pace, skill and x-factor which is what we need but players like that aren't going to break games open every week. They will have down games like Saad had today and also matchwinning games like he had last week. We need to stick with him and back him in to have more matchwinning games than down games.

For the same reason I think we should give Milera a recall, like Saad he provides pace, skill and x-factor which we badly missed today.

I agree, Saad is a gamebreaker like Milne that has pace, skill and x-factor which is what we need but players like that aren't going to break games open every week. They will have down games like Saad had today and also matchwinning games like he had last week. We need to stick with him and back him in to have more matchwinning games than down games.

For the same reason I think we should give Milera a recall, like Saad he provides pace, skill and x-factor which we badly missed today.
Yeah I've been saying that the last week or so because of how one paced we've become. Saad and Milera were a nice little duo until Schneider came back which pushed Terry out of the forward line and out of form.

Milera is almost the forgotten man now but we were all singing his praises earlier in the year with his pace and silky skills.

His form did drop off a bit and he probably deserved to be dropped for a game or two just to regather himself but he shouldn't be thrown on the scrapheap.

Milera is almost the forgotten man now but we were all singing his praises earlier in the year with his pace and silky skills.

His form did drop off a bit and he probably deserved to be dropped for a game or two just to regather himself but he shouldn't be thrown on the scrapheap.
I think his form dropped off after Goddard gave him a spray, needs to harden up

I think his form dropped off after Goddard gave him a spray, needs to harden up

and Riewoldt, not that they are in any position to give our younger guys a spray with their recent form.

Milera is a confidence player, he was great early in the season but then went into his shell after making a couple of mistakes and getting criticised for it.

He's the sort of guy where you need to pump up his confidence rather than bag him out for a mistake, he has some serious talent.

Thankfully this team can kick a winning score under the roof at Ethiad so I see Watters bringing Ray back in - probably for Dunnell unfortunately (he's had his 2 obligatory games hasn't he?). Don't get your hopes up Kosi won't get dropped - (after all, wasn't everyone calling for Milne to get dropped not so long ago?)

This is a game the team has to win. Both St Kilda and the Bulldogs are shadows of their former selves and there is some pride on the line (2009 and 2010 Prelim Finals). Having said that I can't see the Bulldogs troubling the team - the Saints showed some good form today against the Swans and if they can reproduce that at their favoutite venue they will win.

As for the Goddard thing, I see all teams carrying passengers, the names just differ from time to time. If he goes I just hope to god he doesn't go to Collingwood :mad: I hate them enough that they have Ball and Harvey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs are pretty clearly going to try and exploit our lack of height, but given they're as slow as a wet week wouldn't surprise me to see Milera come back in so we can burn them at ground level.

Would love to see Dunell get a full game.

Reckon Wilkes would fire at the dome, but again he's left hanging after being held back from Sandy's match (they have they bye this week too! Again!), and of course Kosi has a death grip on his spot.

Updated opening post with more of a preview, and also included a "Last time they met" video :p

I was surprised Ray was dropped against Sydney, thought he was pretty good the previous week. Any injury there or anything, or just unlucky?

Don't think Saad will be dropped after one less than exceptional game

Probably need to see the replay before commenting on Ins and Outs, but I'd like to see Ray back. He adds some pace, his kicking is OK, his marking is much better than OK
Wouldn't mind seeing Wilkes back for a few, see whether he truly has something to offer at AFL level (I'm not convinced on him)

Could need to win 5 of the remaining 6 to be assured of a top 8 spot but if we lose this weekend, I'd expect to see a lot of changes to the side, to see who wants to play

and Riewoldt, not that they are in any position to give our younger guys a spray with their recent form.

Milera is a confidence player, he was great early in the season but then went into his shell after making a couple of mistakes and getting criticised for it.

He's the sort of guy where you need to pump up his confidence rather than bag him out for a mistake, he has some serious talent.

this. absolutely inexcusable by roo and goddard.

I think I say this every week, but Kosi should be dropped. providing structure is not a satisfactory reason. The downside to dropping Kosi would be that the Saints might be short on ruck stocks, with McEvoy being the only ruck option. If Macca went down and Kosi was not in the team, he would ruck? Riewoldt? I have been disappointed that Ledger has not been given more of an opportunity and it's time to give Ross a chance, after another stellar performance in the VFL.

St Kilda has won last 7 games against Western Bulldogs by averaged margin of 28 points. Last time Bulldogs tasted victory was way back in Round 11, 2008.

Nick Riewoldt has kicked 21 goals in his last 6 games against Dogs.

St Kilda has won last 7 games against Western Bulldogs by averaged margin of 28 points. Last time Bulldogs tasted victory was way back in Round 11, 2008.

Nick Riewoldt has kicked 21 goals in his last 6 games against Dogs.

Been some satisfying victories in those 7 games.

Let's hope we can keep this streak going. With Richmond and Carlton recently ending their colossal losing streaks against us.

If we drop Kosi, Im sure Goddard could pinch hit see what he can do in the ruck. Goddard is known for his screamers maybe he can try a few in the ruck. he can also play the hard ball then too.

You know you are in trouble in the ruck stocks if you need Goddard has to make an appearance. That would most likely make him angry during his 200th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back