Discussion St.Kilda's defensive unit.

Remove this Banner Ad

ChrisFooty

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ross Lyon has done a great job developing the backline. At the start of the year you would of expected Sam Fisher and Max to take the key backline positions. However, before round one commenced, if i told you that Jason Blake, Sam Gilbert and Sean Dempster would all play a solid role in defence, you would of laughed at me. Then throw in Raph Clarke in recent weeks, the backline has good promise for the future.

Like David Mission, I hope Ross signs Steven Silvangi long term as St.kilda's defensive coach.

However, before round one commenced, if i told you that Jason Blake, Sam Gilbert and Sean Dempster would all play a solid role in defence, you would of laughed at me.

Don't you read my posts Chris :D

I wrote positive things about all 3 guys and got shot down every time. Amazing how the passage of time heals.;)

Raph has been a surprise packet though. Seems a bit more decisive and is getting out of the habit of running until he gets caught.

Don't you read my posts Chris :D

I wrote positive things about all 3 guys and got shot down every time. Amazing how the passage of time heals.;)

Raph has been a surprise packet though. Seems a bit more decisive and is getting out of the habit of running until he gets caught.

And some of us always believed in Raph Clarke, too !

:D

Ross Lyon has done a great job developing the backline. At the start of the year you would of expected Sam Fisher and Max to take the key backline positions. However, before round one commenced, if i told you that Jason Blake, Sam Gilbert and Sean Dempster would all play a solid role in defence, you would of laughed at me. Then throw in Raph Clarke in recent weeks, the backline has good promise for the future.

Like David Mission, I hope Ross signs Steven Silvangi long term as St.kilda's defensive coach.

At the start of the year If you told me that Maguire and Attard were going to be out of action all year, I would have said thank god we have Blake and Gilbert. Dempster has been the only pleasant surprise for me.
Gilbert did a great job last year and is improving continuously.

I still prefer Raph not to play too far back and I am hoping that Attard comes back strong next year. A fit Maguire would be good too.

We can then utilise Goddard and Gram and even Sam Fisher in a more versatile manner, and be better prepared for the dreaded day when Max retires.

At the start of the year If you told me that Maguire and Attard were going to be out of action all year, I would have said thank god we have Blake and Gilbert. Dempster has been the only pleasant surprise for me.
Gilbert did a great job last year and is improving continuously.

I still prefer Raph not to play too far back and I am hoping that Attard comes back strong next year. A fit Maguire would be good too.

We can then utilise Goddard and Gram and even Sam Fisher in a more versatile manner, and be better prepared for the dreaded day when Max retires.

couldnt agree more. getting goose back and attard will really add depth and help loosen up bj and grammy as i think we play our best when we have their run and drive. i reckon every time raph had it i thought he would get caught or hold onto it too long but he now seems to get rid of it at the right time and hit the target its an amazing change and i really like his boldness when he runs. I think hes best used as a half back type role and if he can continue to progress and we get x back up firing can really develop grammy and bj into midfielders. next yr looks quite rosy imo.

couldnt agree more. getting goose back and attard will really add depth and help loosen up bj and grammy as i think we play our best when we have their run and drive. i reckon every time raph had it i thought he would get caught or hold onto it too long but he now seems to get rid of it at the right time and hit the target its an amazing change and i really like his boldness when he runs. I think hes best used as a half back type role and if he can continue to progress and we get x back up firing can really develop grammy and bj into midfielders. next yr looks quite rosy imo.

Did anyone see when Max and someone else (Gilbert?) took the ball up the ground against the pies, there was a sort of pause ( as if they were thinking " whats going on here" , what are we doing?" before max gestured to keep it going. LOL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back