St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
Bassat is already on the Board. The same board who extended Richos contract. Is he going to be different, or more of what we just had I wonder?

Unless he clears out the senior coaching ranks it’s just more of the same. Such an obvious error that has to be rectified.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wealthy Seek co-founder Andrew Bassat is seen to have the edge in the battle to take over the helm of the St Kilda football club, with president Peter Summers set to depart at the end of the season.

Bassat is understood to have stronger internal support than the rival candidate, former chief executive Jim Watts, who has promised a shake-up and a more hands-on style of presidency.

The St Kilda board has accepted the need for change at the top, as does Summers, who is expected to confirm his departure soon. The club board wants to avoid a confrontation between camps. ‘‘There won’t be a bloodbath,’’ said one club insider.

St Kilda’s major backer, Jayco owner Gerry Ryan, easily the club’s most generous and constant donor and a widely respected figure at Moorabbin, told The Age that Bassat would be a good choice.

‘‘I think he would be a good choice,’’ said Ryan, who said he had not spoken with Watts about the presidency. Ryan said it was widely accepted that there needed to be change at the club.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan is said to be staying out of St Kilda’s presidency contest, although the AFL has been concerned for some time about St Kilda and its on and off-field position. The Saints’ debt exceeds $10 million, owed jointly to the bank and the AFL.

It is unclear, at this stage, what – if any – impact the change at the top will have on the football department and on the position of coach Alan Richardson, who is contracted for 2019 and has been strongly backed by the administration; to date, the view within has been that the team has not performed to its capabilities but the playing list is the greater issue for the club than the coaching.

St Kilda’s football boss, Simon Lethlean, has initiated changes to the coaching panel and appointed a new list manager, former Crow James Gallagher, who replaces Tony Elshaug. Under Lethlean, St Kilda have become highly active in the player marketplace.

Watts has spoken to a number of board members and also sought AFL support. Watts, one of the founders of the Bastion Collective, a business with strong AFL connections (former AFL boss Andrew Demetriou is a director), was both a board member and chief executive at the Saints during the Rod Butterss (president) and Grant Thomas (coach) era in the mid-2000s, when the Saints regularly made headlines and surged up the ladder with unorthodox leadership.

Watts’ pitch has been that the club lacks flair and needs be bolder.

Stjonesy

Team Captain
Dec 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't the members get to vote?

I'd say Watts would win by the length of the Flemington straight

The board really don't get it do they? Theyre endorsing a guy within, more of the same. The same that led us down this path. You've got to be joking. They all must go. Time for an extraordinary meeting

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't the members get to vote?

I'd say Watts would win by the length of the Flemington straight

The board really don't get it do they? Theyre endorsing a guy within, more of the same. The same that led us down this path. You've got to be joking. They all must go. Time for an extraordinary meeting
Prefer Watts cos he's been part of a strong footy environment. Get back to cutting edge with clean sweep.

One positive, the Seek guy will be able to help the players find alternative jobs after TMBK wrecks their footy careers.

Last edited:

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Who can guarantee what the next president, or next coach will do? Until people get into the job, then we know bugger all. The club spent a lot of dosh in the Watters/ Richo changeover, and with all the blurb about Richo's incredible credentials, he has flopped.

When will this new president be ratified?

Surely the sooner the better as far as hiring a new coach ( possibly) and getting new assistants on board. And also as an incentive for getting players to come to us and working on trade and draft decisions, which are also coach dependent?

ASAP please. Let’s not stuff this up!

Sainttony

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think I prefer Watts for no other reason than he has AFL experience in management.

As part of that Bastion set up with Fergus he may also be able to broker some money deals for us. Having said that so may Bassat.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
When will this new president be ratified?

Surely the sooner the better as far as hiring a new coach ( possibly) and getting new assistants on board. And also as an incentive for getting players to come to us and working on trade and draft decisions, which are also coach dependent?

ASAP please. Let’s not stuff this up!
Nothing will happen until we have finished the season.

I think I prefer Watts for no other reason than he has AFL experience in management.

As part of that Bastion set up with Fergus he may also be able to broker some money deals for us. Having said that so may Bassat.
I just want the most suitable candidate for the job.

We just don't know exactly what the President's role is(or at least I don't know).....and how much is a figure head role.

I must admit I'd prefer someone who speaks out a bit more on the club's behalf......IMO...the club's public persona is very important...….the message put out there what the club stands for...believes in and will call out anything that is not in the club's interests.

Ala...Kennett and Eddie everywhere.

We do know Jim Watts is a Saints previous CEO and from those that remember....he did a great job.

He is also involved with the AFL machine.

We do know Andrew Bassat is a current board member and is part of the catastrophic AR extension.....along with the glaring neglect of our Football dept.

What we don't know is how much imput he had in the AR decision.....along with the footy dept issues.

Does the board have to have a unanimous decision to pass something or is it a majority wins vote......if so....was he in the majority vote?

We just don't know.

Animal Cager

Team Captain
May 13, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think its time for the members, if possible, to call an Extraordinary General Meeting. Is it possible? I would hope so in a membership organisation. So what do we need to do to make it happen?

What I'm hearing is that Bassett has the edge because he's Gerry Ryan's preference. Gerry Ryan may be a substantial benefactor to the Club, however it doesn't mean he should run it just because of his philanthropy. Unless he puts his hand up to be President.

He may be right about Bassett or he may be completely wrong, at the end of the day he is only 1 member.

I'm leaning towards Watts, because he was involved in the Club under Butters and Thomas, a time we got about with our shoulders straight and chest out. I'd like to see what both have to offer and decide in a demographic fashion. The Club has not earned our confidence to let them decide among themselves.

Wouldn't it be nice if Bassett put forward his vision, Watts put forward his vision and then the Members voted on it. Its called democracy and a mob of 40,0000 is more likely to ge it right.

I think its time for the members, if possible, to call an Extraordinary General Meeting. Is it possible? I would hope so in a membership organisation. So what do we need to do to make it happen?

What I'm hearing is that Bassett has the edge because he's Gerry Ryan's preference. Gerry Ryan may be a substantial benefactor to the Club, however it doesn't mean he should run it just because of his philanthropy. Unless he puts his hand up to be President.

He may be right about Bassett or he may be completely wrong, at the end of the day he is only 1 member.

I'm leaning towards Watts, because he was involved in the Club under Butters and Thomas, a time we got about with our shoulders straight and chest out. I'd like to see what both have to offer and decide in a demographic fashion. The Club has not earned our confidence to let them decide among themselves.

Wouldn't it be nice if Bassett put forward his vision, Watts put forward his vision and then the Members voted on it. Its called democracy and a mob of 40,0000 is more likely to ge it right.
It may be democratic but I wouldn't trust 40,000 angry footy fans to make a carefully considered decision

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snailspace13

Club Legend
May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
No s**t Gil.
Hopefully our new board together with the AFL can wipe the debt on day 1 so the club can have a chance of actually moving forward.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan is said to be staying out of St Kilda’s presidency contest, although the AFL has been concerned for some time about St Kilda and its on and off-field position. The Saints’ debt exceeds $10 million, owed jointly to the bank and the AFL.
Thats good reason to give us a priority pick.

Aug 25, 2008
Aisle 38
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
LFC, #DubNation, Storm
Isn’t Basset worth Billions?

I don't think billions. Many, many millions, but not billions.

Only concern with Watts, with his CEO background, would be letting the CEO (Finnis or any alternative) do their job properly. As bad as a silent, stand off president has been, things would be much worse if Summers was micro-managing everything.

I don't think billions. Many, many millions, but not billions.

Only concern with Watts, with his CEO background, would be letting the CEO (Finnis or any alternative) do their job properly. As bad as a silent, stand off president has been, things would be much worse if Summers was micro-managing everything.

A strong man couldn't be worse, we seem like we have no head at the moment. Every area of the club seems to be off working on their own.

The reason I would prefer Jim Watts is simple - previous experience and time to do the job properly.

Bassat still has a full time job so would be a part time President/Chair.
Makes sense:thumbsu:
But i think Eddie at Collingwood has proved you can be as busy as a one armed juggler and still be a good President.
So id take Basset over Watts simply cos Watts is rich but Basset is filthy filthy rich.

saintmagic

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
But i think Eddie at Collingwood has proved you can be as busy as a one armed juggler and still be a good President.
So id take Basset over Watts simply cos Watts is rich but Basset is filthy filthy rich.
And he also has the support of Gerry Ryan who is also filthy rich. Ryan is no fool so i think it is significant that he is supporting AB over Watts.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
What will get Basset in will be the Jayco support for him , good to see the wealthy supporting the club.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Isn’t Basset worth Billions?

If you want a billionaire then you will need the Fox back at $3.56 Billion.

Bassatt owns SEEK with his brother.
He is not in the current AFR Top 200 Rich list which bottoms out at $387 million.

In 2015 he was reportedly worth a bit more than (as he would have other assets):
Andrew Bassat
Company: SEEk
Value of shares: $ 234.2 million
Role: CEO
Total remuneration: $4,209,747

But remember that money alone does not make a good president.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back