St Kilda's youth

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, as a defender. He's been talked up by all and sundry as a future star, and I've been led to believe there's no intention to keep him in defense long-term either. One nice bit of play doesn't make for a great all-round performance. He's alright, I just don't think the hype is quite justified yet. I mean, there were people on here last year saying that they "see a bit of Chris Judd in him" :rolleyes: Talk about wishful thinking.

I don't agree with that. Having watched the saints religiously since the 80s I have obviously seen my share of poor teams. Make no mistake, this team this year will not be world beaters either. Which is why you have to lower expectations regarding output of young players in poor teams and often look for things you won't see on a stat sheet. In Wright I believe that we have seen enough things (like the example I mentioned tonight) to think we have found a footballer, no matter what some stat sheet says. Football is a lot more than statistics.

Melbourne were favourites tonight due to supercoach Roos with many people tipping us to get flogged and get the spoon.

I guess all you goldfish have forgotten that now.

We still have Hayes, Montagna, Steven, Fisher and Schneider to return so we'll beat better teams than Melbourne.

Doesn't fit the BF/Media mentality of us being easybeat wooden spooners this year though so now you're all making excuses and backpedaling.

Of course the kids will be up and down, they are kids! But nights like tonight were some really showed something and helped us get a win against the odds are really good signs for the future and should put to bed the hysterical stuff we see here on Big Footy about our apparently horrendous youth.
St.Kilda have horrendous 'exposed' youth. Prob on a par with Carlton.

The players who have played 20 games and people can really get a read on them.

Difference is The Saints have pushed strongly into the draft of late, so hv a fair few high draft picks floating around....they hv plenty to build on, but until they put in the 20 games way too early to make a judgement either way. Signs sure look good for a few....

but gee it would be great if Stanley could get a bit of confidence, could be a real player.....but unfort not sure if he believes in himself enough.

I don't agree with that. Having watched the saints religiously since the 80s I have obviously seen my share of poor teams. Make no mistake, this team this year will not be world beaters either. Which is why you have to lower expectations regarding output of young players in poor teams and often look for things you won't see on a stat sheet. In Wright I believe that we have seen enough things (like the example I mentioned tonight) to think we have found a footballer, no matter what some stat sheet says. Football is a lot more than statistics.

"Finding a footballer" is much different to the "future star" treatment he's been given by so many in the past.

I never said he couldn't play, I just don't see him as a future star.

"Finding a footballer" is much different to the "future star" treatment he's been given by so many in the past.

I never said he couldn't play, I just don't see him as a future star.

It's too early either way to make a judgement on it. He could become a star, he could be a good solid player (nearly all Saints fans on our boards think similar to me in that he showed a lot last year before his broken jaw and that we are excited to see if he can have a breakout season this year or next. He will take time like most young kids do.)

But plenty to like that they will play the right way and will develop pretty well presuming they cover the transition of Riewoldt. One he goes out they'll fall in a heap forward unless Tom Lee pulls his finger out or they get a young guy who's ahead of the curve.
Held goalless by Cameron Giles in today's VFL practice match against the Northern Blues. 4 disposals, 1 mark, 1 tackle. Didn't get near it in a 66 point win.

It's too early either way to make a judgement on it. He could become a star, he could be a good solid player (nearly all Saints fans on our boards think similar to me in that he showed a lot last year before his broken jaw and that we are excited to see if he can have a breakout season this year or next. He will take time like most young kids do.)

Well you're viewpoint here is a lot more tempered than many people's was last year. He was a sure-fire future star according to many here, and anyone who dared to question it got shot down right way.

So much bitterness from Collingwood posters in this thread about young players - don't know why :rolleyes:

Not a skerrick of bitterness from my end.

What possible reason would a Collingwood supporter have to be bitter in relation to St Kilda or young players, anyway?

St.Kilda have horrendous 'exposed' youth. Prob on a par with Carlton.

The players who have played 20 games and people can really get a read on them.

Difference is The Saints have pushed strongly into the draft of late, so hv a fair few high draft picks floating around....they hv plenty to build on, but until they put in the 20 games way too early to make a judgement either way. Signs sure look good for a few....

but gee it would be great if Stanley could get a bit of confidence, could be a real player.....but unfort not sure if he believes in himself enough.

We quite simply don't have many players in that "exposed" category that we drafted, say, three years ago. But we have tried to address that by bringing in the likes of Longer, Hickey, Bruce, Lee, Delaney etc by trading. We have drafted, from what we see early, well in the past two national drafts. We are very much planning to raid the next two uncompromised drafts and load up on free agency around 2015 to complement the players taken in the past two drafts... I think we are tracking nicely. Sure there will be pain in the short term but like most fans we have faith in Ameet Bains and Tony Elshaugh to deliver the players to our club to get us back there contending again from 2017 onwards.

We quite simply don't have many players in that "exposed" category that we drafted, say, three years ago. But we have tried to address that by bringing in the likes of Longer, Hickey, Bruce, Lee, Delaney etc by trading. We have drafted, from what we see early, well in the past two national drafts. We are very much planning to raid the next two uncompromised drafts and load up on free agency around 2015 to complement the players taken in the past two drafts... I think we are tracking nicely. Sure there will be pain in the short term but like most fans we have faith in Ameet Bains and Tony Elshaugh to deliver the players to our club to get us back there contending again from 2017 onwards.
Yeah, Saints are heading in the right direction....after R.Lyon went all in for a flag at the expense of now.

but will be short term pain because you don't have the 'exposed' kids who can actually start taking over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't want to sound like a bitter loser. I've seen too much losing to be bitter anymore.

But the problem with St Kilda's youth is they don't play key positions, they aren't dynamic dangerous midfielders and they aren't goal kicking small forwards (Billings might be either a goal kicking forward or gun mid it's early to judge him).

But they've covered the half backs, half forwards and bread and butter/depth midfielders nicely. Plug in the next Riewoldt, quality key defender and gun midfielder and you've probably got all the pieces of a good team going forward.

By the way I saw nothing from St Kilda tonight to tell me they will win more than 5 games even if you add back Lenny, Montagna and Steven. But plenty to like that they will play the right way and will develop pretty well presuming they cover the transition of Riewoldt. One he goes out they'll fall in a heap forward unless Tom Lee pulls his finger out or they get a young guy who's ahead of the curve.

According to you they aren't. St Kilda lacked quality youth before the off-season but they've drafted really well, Billings, Dunstan, Acres and Templeton were all drafted last year and can all play midfield. All possess qualities which could make them guns.

They seem to have had a good draft last season, which was much needed. They're going to need a few more like it, though. They may have gotten a win but surely neither team's supporters could look at how they played today and be happy.

I have no idea - but you say this as a question, not a statement so you must have some doubt in your mind?

I don't have doubt or concern myself. As I said, no bitterness from my end in relation to St Kilda or young players. Just curious as to what it is Pies fans are supposedly bitter about, according to other posters here.

Someone is making a claim, I'm just asking them to show their working. If they can't, then they're obviously just talking s**t.

Last edited:
According to you they aren't. St Kilda lacked quality youth before the off-season but they've drafted really well, Billings, Dunstan, Acres and Templeton were all drafted last year and can all play midfield. All possess qualities which could make them guns.
Maybe. Just don't see it. Templeton I think is very Dahlhaus, I don't see him winning clearances and streaming away against good opposition. Billings, more of a class half forward, wingman, as I said could be a top liner but it's early days. Dunstan, a rock solid midfielder, but I see him more of a Luke Ball than a Lenny Hayes.

Jack Steven of course is a gun mid but he's not really youth.

I just think if I was a St Kilda supporter I'd be saying ok we have some nice pieces, we are going to come together eventually in to a decent side. But another top midfielder and a KPP for either end would be high on the shopping list.

Nice youngsters. Like Dunstan should get the RS nomination. Eli was exciting to watch, Billings has got a lot of potential but still getting his body right, Acres I heard has got good skills, Newnes good, Curren clearance king tonight

Maybe. Just don't see it. Templeton I think is very Dahlhaus, I don't see him winning clearances and streaming away against good opposition. Billings, more of a class half forward, wingman, as I said could be a top liner but it's early days. Dunstan, a rock solid midfielder, but I see him more of a Luke Ball than a Lenny Hayes.

Jack Steven of course is a gun mid but he's not really youth.

I just think if I was a St Kilda supporter I'd be saying ok we have some nice pieces, we are going to come together eventually in to a decent side. But another top midfielder and a KPP for either end would be high on the shopping list.

Well they're likely to have another early draft pick in a draft stacked with quality talls. As for Dunstan, you haven't seen him much, he's much more dynamic than Ball who mainly played inside, this guy can push forward, he's also a very good kick. We didn't get to see much of Billings but there's a few saints draftees who I rate highly. And you said they didn't have any dynamic dangerous midfielders then say that Billings is a class wingman, what else do you want?

You guys only beat Melbourne (favourites for wooden spoon except maybe GWS or yourself), l wouldnt be pumping your team up too much as it wasn't pretty viewing. A lot of skill errors and not a lot of pressure. Wait until you play the mid-tier or top sides.

What game did you watch? It was a Paul Roos coached team vs. an Alan Richardson coached team. The one thing you know you will get with Roos (and what Richardson says he prides himself one) is pressure acts, tackling and a defensive mindset all overt the field. The game was a lot of things but to somehow say there was "no pressure" is just not accurate.

You guys only beat Melbourne (favourites for wooden spoon except maybe GWS or yourself), l wouldnt be pumping your team up too much as it wasn't pretty viewing. A lot of skill errors and not a lot of pressure. Wait until you play the mid-tier or top sides.
"We" didn't start this thread or did you fail to realize that before "reminding" us of how s**t we are for only beating Melbourne?

Looks like we have drafted very well last year, and added to likely long termers in newnes, wright, curran, and hickey. Still early days and need another similarly good draft, but signs are good. Our youth look better than Melbourne's, and our coach is likely to stay around a lot longer to build them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back