St Kilda's youth

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to question why a StKilda fan would even bring up anything to do with Collingwood in a thread about StKilda's youth.

# do we still trust in Ross?

Who did that? It was a Collingwood poster that suggested Langdons game was better than Dunstans.

How come Bruce didn't play? Injured or out of form?
Carried a injury over the pre season.

Incorrect. Played for sandringham on Saturday. Richardson said that if Melbourne had Clarke Dawes or Hogan playing he most likely would've played. Big chance to come into the side next week given GWS plethora of tall forwards.

Some scarred individual back in post #9 bought Collingwood into the discussion, why a Saints fan would be thinking about Collingwood is beyond me too! What a muppet!!

They mentioned the way the media works.

Saints supporters like me have been telling people here about our great youth for the last couple of years.

No one here listened "Saints are s**t, no good young players, next 5 wooden spoons derp"

We're like the 2013 version of Port Adelaide, it's no coincidence our coach was Hinkley's right hand man at Port last year.

Carlton stole Malthouse to be like Collingwood, Freo stole Lyon to be like St Kilda but they're behind the times.

We stole Alan Richardson to be like Port with a bunch of talented underrated hardworking youngsters hellbent on exposing the overrated teams in the comp.

So, we can expect St Kilda to make finals and win one can we?

Melbourne were favourites tonight due to supercoach Roos with many people tipping us to get flogged and get the spoon.

I guess all you goldfish have forgotten that now.

We still have Hayes, Montagna, Steven, Fisher and Schneider to return so we'll beat better teams than Melbourne.

Doesn't fit the BF/Media mentality of us being easybeat wooden spooners this year though so now you're all making excuses and backpedaling.

Plugger, you beat Melbourne, a Melbourne team with no forward line to speak of. No doubt you have some good players to come back in, but you put Mitch Clarke, Chris Dawes or Jesse Hogan into that Melbourne side and they would have won. One difference last night between the two teams was N Riewoldt, not your younger players. Riewoldt was the only decent forward on the ground last night. Also don't forget that the Dees used their sub before half time, and had Tom McDonald hobbling around for a half as well.

I highly doubt you'll scrape together more than 4 wins this year, even with those guys back.

That being said, thought a few of your young guys showed a bit, loved Saunders game and Templeton looks a player for the future as well.

There's a bit of talk in this thread about the Saints not having any A grade players...more work man like than an elite type player. Question for the Sainters fans. I've heard a lot about Jack Billings and haven't seen him play but am led to believe he definitely has the potential (emphasis on potential as is a first year player) to become a top tier player. What's the talk about him around the club?

And I know this isn't the thread for it but hasn't Nick Riewoldt just become one of the elder statesmen of the competition. Still very much plays as an A grade player, takes the opposition best defender and leads the Saints very well. He's always been a gun of the comp but I certainly didn't pick him to stand up as a leader the way he has. Kudos to him.
Very good call re Nick, you could see just how much the win meant to him last night and that was all about how he wants to show the next brigade how to go about playing a game of footy and how you can overcome the odds and prevail even when everyone is writing you off and giving you little hope. His leadership was superb.

As for Billings, he definitely has elite attributes. He is class personified, with Dal Santo like skills and poise, but is also very strong overhead and brilliant around the goals, making him more versatile and likely much more dangerous up forward than say Dal. Is meant to be of terrific character, albeit very shy and serious at this stage.

Had a setback over summer, but ought to find his feet pretty quickly. Played mostly forward in the juniors, but we're very much aiming for him to play midfield down the track, as he is very good at extracting the ball in close and reading it off the packs and so-on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Instead of trolling Collingwood perhaps try and focus on the Saints, actual Saints fans correcting your lack of knowledge re your own list.

Carried a injury is the mail on SS and was behind in preperation.

Saints supporters like me have been telling people here about our great youth for the last couple of years.

No one here listened "Saints are s**t, no good young players, next 5 wooden spoons derp"

We're like the 2013 version of Port Adelaide, it's no coincidence our coach was Hinkley's right hand man at Port last year.

Carlton stole Malthouse to be like Collingwood, Freo stole Lyon to be like St Kilda but they're behind the times.

We stole Alan Richardson to be like Port with a bunch of talented underrated hardworking youngsters hellbent on exposing the overrated teams in the comp.
You beat Melbourne, Plugger, MELBOURNE... and only just. 17 points against a side who kicked 6.15. Bloody hell if you're getting excited by that, then you have the lowest of low expectations for your club.

You beat Melbourne, Plugger, MELBOURNE... and only just. 17 points against a side who kicked 6.15. Bloody hell if you're getting excited by that, then you have the lowest of low expectations for your club.

So if you guys were tipped all preseason to be wooden spoon, then in round 1 were $2.60 outsiders against the worst side in recent times, and then got up you wouldn't be excited?

So if you guys were tipped all preseason to be wooden spoon, then in round 1 were $2.60 outsiders against the worst side in recent times, and then got up you wouldn't be excited?
I'd be happy, but not excited. There was very little to get excited about. No up and coming KPP's either. The win was basically saying you're the better of the worst. Not a great achievement that.

I'd be happy, but not excited. There was very little to get excited about. No up and coming KPP's either. The win was basically saying you're the better of the worst. Not a great achievement that.
Yeh you're right. Watching all our youngsters stand up when we were missing our starting midfield from last year was pretty s**t.people for years have said we are to old so I hated seeing 3 debutants, 1 of which had over 20 possessions and was in nearly every centre bounce.

We had lost over 1800 games experience from our last game last year to last night, which is an extraordinary chunk of experience to lose from one game to the next (even with a preseason in between), so I'd say it was a damn good achievement, hence the excitement from the likes of Nick Riewoldt, who knew full-well that winning that game with the team we went in with, especially so weak in the midfield when that area is so important these days, was going to be a huge challenge.

We basically lost the equivalent of 8 "200 gamers" (3 who have played 250+, 4 more who have played 200+, one who has played over 190, plus McEvoy and Steven, who won our B&F last year) and yet still won, against another team (albeit a similarly undermanned one) rated at a similar level to us.

Last edited:
So, we can expect St Kilda to make finals and win one can we?

Maybe we will but even if we don't we won't be the hapless wooden spoon easybeats most of the morons here and in the media were tipping us to be.

When we get Hayes, Montagna, Steven, Fisher and Schneider back there won't be too many teams fancying their chances of beating us at Etihad and that includes Essendon.

You'll be in for a far tougher game against us than you had against the North witches hats.

Plugger, you beat Melbourne, a Melbourne team with no forward line to speak of. No doubt you have some good players to come back in, but you put Mitch Clarke, Chris Dawes or Jesse Hogan into that Melbourne side and they would have won. One difference last night between the two teams was N Riewoldt, not your younger players. Riewoldt was the only decent forward on the ground last night. Also don't forget that the Dees used their sub before half time, and had Tom McDonald hobbling around for a half as well.

I highly doubt you'll scrape together more than 4 wins this year, even with those guys back.

That being said, thought a few of your young guys showed a bit, loved Saunders game and Templeton looks a player for the future as well.

That's debatable and if we put Hayes, Montagna, Steven, Fisher and Schneider into our side we still would've won, probably by more than we did.

Everyone keeps saying it's only Melbourne but they were favourites with the betting agencies along with most people tipping them to win and if we had've lost everyone would be dancing on our grave calling us wooden spooners.

It wasn't just about us winning against Melbourne last night, it was about shoving it up all the people that wrote us off as wooden spoon easybeats and have shown us no respect whatsoever.

I don't know how many wins we'll have this year but we'll be winning respect in bucketloads.

They can have Clarke, hogan, and dawes if we can have Lenny, montagna, Steven and fisher. Both sides at full strength we would've flogged em.

Maybe we will but even if we don't we won't be the hapless wooden spoon easybeats most of the morons here and in the media were tipping us to be.

When we get Hayes, Montagna, Steven, Fisher and Schneider back there won't be too many teams fancying their chances of beating us at Etihad and that includes Essendon.

You'll be in for a far tougher game against us than you had against the North witches hats.

Umm, I think I'll go ahead and fancy our chances TBH.

oohh, I think I can hear all the other teams in the competition just shaking with fear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back