St Kilda's youth

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched a lot of tom lee at Claremont and he was easily the best tall forward available. Very mobile and great below his knees. I consider him a poor mans Cameron and will get better in time

I've seen a bit of him too in the WAFL, very much disagree that he plays anything like Cameron - Jack Gunston would be a pretty good comparison in my view. Can play down back as well, obviously won't be holding down a key defensive position as he did for a couple of years in the WAFL, but I think he'd make a pretty handy tallish half back flanker in the AFL should the Saints choose to go down that path.

Uncanny ability to be on the end of a passage of play to finish with a goal it seems (think he showed this at the Saints too). He's doing good though.

Uncanny ability to run forward of the ball.

I do like him though ;)

The Saints youth was ok but their problem is they have a whole lot of mid age spuds.

Similar list profile to Geelong in that there is a big talent gap between 24 and 28. The difference is Geelong has a lot more top end talent 28+ and 21-23.

Probably means the saints will struggle for the next 4-6 years.

Provided they don't clean out too many experienced players at the end of this year they wont become a Melbourne.

The Saints youth was ok but their problem is they have a whole lot of mid age spuds.

Similar list profile to Geelong in that there is a big talent gap between 24 and 28. The difference is Geelong has a lot more top end talent 28+ and 21-23.

Probably means the saints will struggle for the next 4-6 years.

Provided they don't clean out too many experienced players at the end of this year they wont become a Melbourne.
Don't be shy, who are you referring to here?

Comparing Geelong and St Kilda is completely irrelevant, the teams are nowhere near each other in terms of players, you can't take the two lists, one of which is just barely the wrong side of the proverbial mountain and the other in a full on landslide, and make an assumption like that.

Don't be shy, who are you referring to here?

Comparing Geelong and St Kilda is completely irrelevant, the teams are nowhere near each other in terms of players, you can't take the two lists, one of which is just barely the wrong side of the proverbial mountain and the other in a full on landslide, and make an assumption like that.

I'm just being honest, tell me who is an A grader on your list that is between 24 and 28 years of age? or which one of those guys is likely to become an A grader?

Once Riewoldt, Montagna and co retire there is a big gap in talent. A few of the younger guys might turn into A graders but not enough in 2-3 years.

A few more mature agers like Roberton and Savage might make you competitive but those guys wont turn into A graders.

I'm just being honest, tell me who is an A grader on your list that is between 24 and 28 years of age? or which one of those guys is likely to become an A grader?

Once Riewoldt, Montagna and co retire there is a big gap in talent. A few of the younger guys might turn into A graders but not enough in 2-3 years.

A few more mature agers like Roberton and Savage might make you competitive but those guys wont turn into A graders.

How old do you think Roberton is?

I asked you first. Who are the supposed midfield spuds? It was a big call, please clarify who you are talking about.

Roberton and Savage, for the record, are both 23 this year, so hardly grizzled veterans.

"Next superstar" Nathan Wright could have had more than 8 disposals in 93% gametime.

I haven't heard anyone label him a potential superstar. I've heard ppl say he's courageous, that he attacks the ball, that he's very quick. No one could argue with any of that.

I'll take 8 disposals from a 19 year old in his second season from a back pocket.

Saints supporters like me have been telling people here about our great youth for the last couple of years.

No one here listened "Saints are s**t, no good young players, next 5 wooden spoons derp"

We're like the 2013 version of Port Adelaide, it's no coincidence our coach was Hinkley's right hand man at Port last year.

Carlton stole Malthouse to be like Collingwood, Freo stole Lyon to be like St Kilda but they're behind the times.

We stole Alan Richardson to be like Port with a bunch of talented underrated hardworking youngsters hellbent on exposing the overrated teams in the comp.
One Game of footy against last Years easy beats ...try and keep the lid on it son

I asked you first. Who are the supposed midfield spuds? It was a big call, please clarify who you are talking about.

Roberton and Savage, for the record, are both 23 this year, so hardly grizzled veterans.

Spuds might be harsh but most guys are B graders at best. I don't know what this has to do with analysing the list?

I know how old Roberton and Savage are, but they are top ups from other clubs. You didn't draft them at 18/19. They were discarded because they were fringe players unlikely to become elite.

Top ups can become handy B graders but without the A graders the Saints are hardly going to jump into the top 4.

Do you not agree?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spuds might be harsh but most guys are B graders at best. I don't know what this has to do with analysing the list?

I know how old Roberton and Savage are, but they are top ups from other clubs. You didn't draft them at 18/19. They were discarded because they were fringe players unlikely to become elite.

Top ups can become handy B graders but without the A graders the Saints are hardly going to jump into the top 4.

Do you not agree?

You said the players were spuds, but backed off when pushed.

You indicated Roberton and Savage were "veterans" then changed your mind and had a go at them for being second club players when advised otherwise.

I am left to conclude you have zero knowledge of our list at all, and therefore have no right to comment.

Saints got the 4 points, but I'd still rather be a Dees supporter going forward. Much better young KPF talent even if Clark doesn't come back soon, as well as a very good young mid in Tyson. Lee being unable to break into the Rd 1 side is a massive concern.

Saints got the 4 points, but I'd still rather be a Dees supporter going forward. Much better young KPF talent even if Clark doesn't come back soon, as well as a very good young mid in Tyson. Lee being unable to break into the Rd 1 side is a massive concern.
I'm certain it was a positional decision - we didn't want to play too many tall back men because there were no tall forwards for them to play on.

I really don't think a side that struggled to kick 6 goals has a great future based on its KPFs, personally. We aren't in a position to gloat too much, but I think we are still ahead of Melbourne, despite all and sundry kicking us down in pre-season. There will be egg on a face or two after the end of the season, I'm betting.

This is a reasonable comment.

I think Saints are clearly aiming for 2019/20 not 2017/18. They are going back to 2001 and trying to develop a list that will grow together. I think they hope that players like Saunders, Dunstan and Billings become A graders. Spencer White is a wildcard. Steven is thereabouts and should get better. We have rucks covered at this time and with Bruce probably defenders as well. Expectation is we will get high in 2014 and 2015 draft and take one of the good KPFs in 2014 and midfield again in 2015. Should be room soon for one or two good free trade pick ups. It can come on quick.

There are a lot of "ifs" in all that, a big one is just how strong GWS and Gold Coast are going to be in the next 5 years. But I think what we have seen of the young players is promising and our team should be starting to take shape in a window likely to be framing Bulldogs, GWS, Gold Coast and Port Adelaide. Right now I think Saints fans are prepared to be patient.....we have been for a long time.

Amongst other things last night showed good scouting and planning by Pelchen, Bains and Elsaugh.

Billings aside, no top 10 draft picks since Armitage in 2006 but there was decent potential on show. Dunstan should prove a steal at 18, Wright at 25 should be good value. Newnes at 36 the same. Delaney for pick 75. Hickey IMO looks a better ruckman than McEvoy already. Saunders at pick 36 looks good value. We're not the only club who find good late picks but for Saints supporters its so pleasing seeing competence at worst and excellence at best in our scouting, drafting and recruiting after the Lovett, Staley, Cripps, Peake debacles of recent times.

Do you not agree?

Roberton was never discarded, maybe they could have done more to keep him, particularly given Gunston's performance LY , but he was never discarded.

Perspective please. The saints won a game against a team that kicked 6.15 and had two crucial early injuries. Not to mention the Dees have been/are rubbish...

Do you not agree?

There's been more than a few top ups in Roberton and savages age brackets that have turned into a graders. It's still too early to tell.

I think opposition teams are taking our excitement over the win the wrong way -- I'm pretty sure every poster in this thread realises that the win against a depleted Melbourne isn't a huge deal with regard to the season and other teams as a whole.

However, this win did actually mean something. Not a win to set along a huge streak for this season, but a win to breath a sigh of relief that progress is slowly being made. There was a huge unknown factor going into this match, we had lost so much experience from last season as well as a new coach.

Also, when looking at our team line up we were every chance of being run over. Our mid field experience consisted of jones (one of the worst disposals in the game), Ray who is at best a middle tier player and Armo(had a very average game). It was up to the youth to pick up the slack. Not only did Dunstan, curren, Saunders, Eli etc all have 1-10ish game experience - it's not like they were low draft picks. Dunstan being the lowest at 18.

Like I said, just a nice bit of a relief knowing that the clubs general direction is going forward when there was always that possibility of having absolutely no youth showing signs on Saturday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back