St Kilda's youth

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Whilst it was a pretty terrible game, it was good to see so many young Saints players step up addressing the groupthink that they have no decent young players. Missing a whole host of senior players, guys like Curren, Dunstan, Templeton, Hickey, Newnes and Saunders were terrific outshining Melbourne's more fancied youth. I don't expect them to be far off the bottom of the ladder, but we saw enough to suggest that they've got a fair bit to look forward to over the next few years.

frednirk

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2006
Earth
AFL Club
St Kilda
i do agree with you hellgood
they looked quite skillful, moved well, read the play well, and went in hard
i like the look of a lot of them

there are many painful losses to have this year, but i have faith in the future

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
If you read the rubbish spouted on Big Footy our youth are terrible and we are about to turn into the new Melbourne and then end up relocating etc etc etc.

The reality is we have been addressing our undoubted list issues in the past 2 national drafts and have picked up some really promising kids through them and have completed some good trades as well. Combine them with older blokes like Roo Lenny etc to learn from and it is far from doom and gloom at the Saints.

I would not expect this thread will go well though as it will soon be infested by the usual troll suspects that pop up whenever the Saints are mentioned.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Good win from them missing so many key midfielders. Of course until they play someone decent its hard to evaluate just how good they are/going to be. Also your not often going to have your opponent kick 10 behinds in a row - so a bit fortunate in that regard.

I'm really curious to see how they will go against the (much improved) GWS. With a few veterans returning for the Saints it should be a good contest.

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
"Next superstar" Nathan Wright could have had more than 8 disposals in 93% gametime.

As a defender? :rolleyes: Moments of class from him that you can't see in stats like the one/handed pick-up, run and clearance under huge pressure in defence when everyone else around him was bottling it say more than any stats can and show that we have a player on our hands.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
As a defender? :rolleyes: Moments of class from him that you can't see in stats like the one/handed pick-up, run and clearance under huge pressure in defence when everyone else around him was bottling it say more than any stats can and show that we have a player on our hands.

Agree with the above.

I like Wright. Think he'll be OK at a minimum.

Looked good right from the start last year before the unfortunate knock from Eddie.

The youth coming into the game the last few years is pretty damn promising for all Clubs.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Saints supporters like me have been telling people here about our great youth for the last couple of years.

No one here listened "Saints are s**t, no good young players, next 5 wooden spoons derp"

We're like the 2013 version of Port Adelaide, it's no coincidence our coach was Hinkley's right hand man at Port last year.

Carlton stole Malthouse to be like Collingwood, Freo stole Lyon to be like St Kilda but they're behind the times.

We stole Alan Richardson to be like Port with a bunch of talented underrated hardworking youngsters hellbent on exposing the overrated teams in the comp.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Saints supporters like me have been telling people here about our great youth for the last couple of years.

No one here listened "Saints are s**t, no good young players, next 5 wooden spoons derp"

We're like the 2013 version of Port Adelaide, it's no coincidence our coach was Hinkley's right hand man at Port last year.

Carlton stole Malthouse to be like Collingwood, Freo stole Lyon to be like St Kilda but they're behind the times.

We stole Alan Richardson to be like Port with a bunch of talented underrated hardworking youngsters hellbent on exposing the overrated teams in the comp.

Which "overrated teams" have you "exposed" so far?

You beat Melbourne by three goals in a low-skilled, low-scoring game in Round 1. Cool your jets I reckon.

Aug 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Except we destroyed Melbourne by 78 points in round 1 ;)

Relax mate, you only beat Melbourne.

Which "overrated teams" have you "exposed" so far?

You beat Melbourne by three goals in a low-skilled, low-scoring game in Round 1. Cool your jets I reckon.

Yeah, was not a great game of Footy. Skill Wise

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Don't want to sound like a bitter loser. I've seen too much losing to be bitter anymore.

But the problem with St Kilda's youth is they don't play key positions, they aren't dynamic dangerous midfielders and they aren't goal kicking small forwards (Billings might be either a goal kicking forward or gun mid it's early to judge him).

But they've covered the half backs, half forwards and bread and butter/depth midfielders nicely. Plug in the next Riewoldt, quality key defender and gun midfielder and you've probably got all the pieces of a good team going forward.

By the way I saw nothing from St Kilda tonight to tell me they will win more than 5 games even if you add back Lenny, Montagna and Steven. But plenty to like that they will play the right way and will develop pretty well presuming they cover the transition of Riewoldt. One he goes out they'll fall in a heap forward unless Tom Lee pulls his finger out or they get a young guy who's ahead of the curve.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU

Got on the sauce did we?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkjhmgkkgklgl-88775875&74

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
As I said, they were OK, but the season is 22 rounds. Let's see how they go all year.

The point I was mainly trying to make is that nothing seems good enough when it comes to the Saints. Even after a tough one where our whole midfield was out and some young blokes stepped up in their first game it is for some reason a bit "meh"...

Of course the kids will be up and down, they are kids! But nights like tonight where some really showed something and helped us get a win against the odds are really good signs for the future and should put to bed the hysterical stuff we see here on Big Footy about our apparently horrendous youth.

Last edited:
Back