Society/Culture St. Patrick's Day is akin to Nazism

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only possibly offensive thing about St Patrick's day is the annual bleating from everyone about how they're allegedly 1/16th Irish, while wearing a leprechaun outfit, pretending they enjoy Guinness.

As an actual Irish person I find it funny as f*ck! They might all be acting like eejits and gobshites but hey, they're having a bit of the craic and that's as Irish as it gets.

Idle Googling - trying to recall the group Father Bob mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Guard#Historical_context
Politically, the end of the Great War in 1918 left Australians unusually discontented and polarised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Guard#Fascist_tendencies
Initially the New Guard had a highly individualist Ideology; one of its primary aims was 'Maintenance of the full liberty of the subject': 'The foundation of the British Constitution is the supremacy of the individual over the State; the right to enjoy the fruits of our labor; freedom of expression and freedom of conscience. The great struggle ahead of us is to retain these liberties so as to give our children a heritage of freedom, and not slavery'

Between the wars, fascism appealed to many who felt liberal democratic institutions were failing to cope. Its alternative was centralisation of authority in the hands of a charismatic leader seeking a regeneration of society, generally upon a basis of unquestioning nationalism tinged with militarism. This overriding cause justified violent suppression of opposition from selfish sectional interests and included fierce anti-communism.The New Guard did display many of these features

You should read Kangaroo by Dh Lawrence.

I knew an Ulster woman who had an accent that could peel paint, and a temper with it. My ex army mate used to tell her that she should have been interned.

Yeah, mate of mine is married to a girl from the Shankhill and jeez, her accent is mind bending and I'm pretty down with northern accents.

Zero relevance. Next you'll be telling me there was an Islamic Golden Age!

Actually, huge relevance.

It was - in keeping with the thread - Irish monks who kept the light burning in many regards in the Dark Ages, but it was Islamic scholars who actually kept the books and texts in their libraries.

The vast majority of the classics had to be re-translated from Arabic when Europe began to wake up again.

You really have no idea about what was happening in places like Baghdad, Mosul, Samarkand and Bukhara do you?

You really have no idea about what was happening in places like Baghdad, Mosul, Samarkand and Bukhara do you?

I am completely aware of the fact a lot of the classical Greek/Roman knowledge was preserved in the Islamic world.

But this does not translate into an Islamic Golden Age or Middle Eastern Civilization being anything other than garbage.

I remember trying to order a burger in Dublin and being completely flummoxed by one accent; I couldn't believe we were both speaking English and yet struggling to understand each other. That said, I don't mind the accent.

Yep, northside Dublin accents can be a thing to behold.

There's an excellent TV series called Love/Hate that features many of them.

I am completely aware of the fact a lot of the classical Greek/Roman knowledge was preserved in the Islamic world.

But this does not translate into an Islamic Golden Age or Middle Eastern Civilization being anything other than garbage.

Out of interest, have you ever been.

(I suspect I'm about to get a few posts on TLC here)

I remember trying to order a burger in Dublin and being completely flummoxed by one accent; I couldn't believe we were both speaking English and yet struggling to understand each other. That said, I don't mind the accent.
I met a couple of Jocks from Glasgow like that. They may as well have been speaking in Farsi for all I understood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of interest, have you ever been.

(I suspect I'm about to get a few posts on TLC here)

Sorry, just reminded me...

S08E23_23.png

To be sure.

This might be a good time to remind everyone that even though this thread is about being anti white nationalist and the concern of St Patrick's Day being used as a Nazi white nationalist platform,we should still not be ok with racist comments being made about the Irish.

The real white nationalism associated with the island of Ireland is with the Protestant Loyalist types who were very closely linked with Combat 18 and the like.

Actually, huge relevance.

It was - in keeping with the thread - Irish monks who kept the light burning in many regards in the Dark Ages, but it was Islamic scholars who actually kept the books and texts in their libraries.

The vast majority of the classics had to be re-translated from Arabic when Europe began to wake up again.

Had nothing to do with Islam - these regions had been civilised for 10,000 years. Down the road from Baghdad in Ur they basically invented the whole thing.

The leanest thousand year period of human advancement in the near East came after the rise of Islam. Why's that you reckon?

This might be a good time to remind everyone that even though this thread is about being anti white nationalist and the concern of St Patrick's Day being used as a Nazi white nationalist platform,we should still not be ok with racist comments being made about the Irish.
To be sure.

This is still a thread?

OP is race baiting.

Nothing more.

Of course it's still a thread, this is potentially a major problem, particularly in the Trump era. I understand that you can't see the potential for racism and white nationalism in America at the moment in particular, and in conjunction with SPD, but many other people do.

This is about the limit of my powers, just creating awareness of white nationalism on the Internet.
Leigh Matthews was a white male. Stop honouring his achievements which are nothing more than white male privledge. You should have a gay female African woman footballer as your avatar. Otherwise you are just supporting white male superiority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back