St Totteringham's day 2013-14

Remove this Banner Ad

960129_3065290969347_473569843_n.jpg
GrandBlue

Most of you should be thanking GB for giving you a reason for celebrating to begin with.

Otherwise Im struggling to see why an Australian Gunners supporter would have any invested interest in the day at all..Considering they chose to support the richer club, never lived in London and really cant appreciate the rivalry.

Most of you should be thanking GB for giving you a reason for celebrating to begin with.

Otherwise Im struggling to see why an Australian Gunners supporter would have any invested interest in the day at all..Considering they chose to support the richer club, never lived in London and really cant appreciate the rivalry.

That's some nice assumptions right there.

What percentage of Australian based Arsenal supporters grew up in London?

There is nothing wrong with choosing to support the wealthier more successful club, however I dont think it comes with the same bragging rights as supporting the AFL clubs.

What percentage of Greek Australian's grew up in Greece? Or Lebanese Australian's in Lebanon? Where you live doesn't matter as long as you're passionate about your team.

Can Tasmanian Hawthorn fans have the same standing as Melbourne Hawthorn fans? What if they have never been to Melbourne?

You'll find most supporters either gained the clubs from their family or made the choice at a very young age. Little has to do with wealth.

Success is always a factor - how many hawthorn supporters came about from the 80's? Or Tigers from the 70's etc etc That's just a way of life.

Support is also not measured by distance. Nearly all of my friends are "soccer" fans and just as much pleasure is gained from the banter and support between us as it is for the AFL teams. Generally its more so, being in Perth nearly everyone is either an Eagles or Dockers fan, whereas "soccer" wise, there's a vast array of different teams being supported.

What percentage of Greek Australian's grew up in Greece? Or Lebanese Australian's in Lebanon? Where you live doesn't matter as long as you're passionate about your team.

Poor reference
Your born into your ethnic or cultural background, you chose to support a team that wins.

Can Tasmanian Hawthorn fans have the same standing as Melbourne Hawthorn fans? What if they have never been to Melbourne?

Valid point, I would argue the Tasmanian based supporter would have their own rivalries based on what has happend in Tasmanian games or games they have attended. However all comes back to the different bragging rights between AFL based supporters and premier league, see further comments below

Success is always a factor - how many hawthorn supporters came about from the 80's? Or Tigers from the 70's etc etc That's just a way of life.

Success is a major factor, if you dont choose to support one of the top 5 richest clubs you simply dont have the option of enjoying success. In no way can the EPL system be compared to the AFL.

Draft and salary cap result in theoretically every supporter base having their day to shine or at least the potential. There is a degree of earning success, loyalty and hard work that simply isnt present in the current structure of the premier league.

W

Support is also not measured by distance. Nearly all of my friends are "soccer" fans and just as much pleasure is gained from the banter and support between us as it is for the AFL teams. Generally its more so, being in Perth nearly everyone is either an Eagles or Dockers fan, whereas "soccer" wise, there's a vast array of different teams being supported.

Im from Perth...How many premier league supports do you know that dont support either Chelsea, Liverpool, ManU, Arsenal or City? Very few I would guess and there isnt anything wrong with that. If you want to experience success your tunneled that way when you make your choice, just acknowledge this fact.

My point is thank god for guys like GB who took a punt on a club that realistically at this stage is never going to compete with the big boys for any long period of time and engages in banter with the rest of you, he could have just as easily chosen to ride in comfort wearing an Arsenal jumper.

I support Arsenal because my aunt grew up in London and barracked for Arsenal as did the rest of her family she came to Australia so that's why I barrack for them passed through the family.

I'm sure bandwagoners would probably jump onto Chelsea over Arsenal as a London club or Man United/Man. City now as well.

Poor reference
Your born into your ethnic or cultural background, you chose to support a team that wins.

Valid point, I would argue the Tasmanian based supporter would have their own rivalries based on what has happend in Tasmanian games or games they have attended. However all comes back to the different bragging rights between AFL based supporters and premier league, see further comments below

Success is a major factor, if you dont choose to support one of the top 5 richest clubs you simply dont have the option of enjoying success. In no way can the EPL system be compared to the AFL.

Draft and salary cap result in theoretically every supporter base having their day to shine or at least the potential. There is a degree of earning success, loyalty and hard work that simply isnt present in the current structure of the premier league.

Im from Perth...How many premier league supports do you know that dont support either Chelsea, Liverpool, ManU, Arsenal or City? Very few I would guess and there isnt anything wrong with that. If you want to experience success your tunneled that way when you make your choice, just acknowledge this fact.

My point is thank god for guys like GB who took a punt on a club that realistically at this stage is never going to compete with the big boys for any long period of time and engages in banter with the rest of you, he could have just as easily chosen to ride in comfort wearing an Arsenal jumper.

Not buying it.

You are biased against people that just happen to be supporters of larger teams. You make the assumption that everyone follows a team because they are successful.

Some do, some don't.

Exactly the same in the AFL. Don't kid yourself.

I support Arsenal because my aunt grew up in London and barracked for Arsenal as did the rest of her family she came to Australia so that's why I barrack for them passed through the family.

I'm sure bandwagoners would probably jump onto Chelsea over Arsenal as a London club or Man United/Man. City now as well.

I agree, given the choice right now most people would go for one of the other three, however chosing Arsenal is still a safe bet and a deliberate choice of a club that can afford success in the future, which is ultimately what it all comes down to.

Im not having a go at anyone for supporting one of the rich 5, I get it. There is an element of bandwagoning but that is more an issue of the system than the individual, I do believe however certain bragging rights are limited and certainly not to the extent that could be enjoyed by AFL clubs, where the system is at least setup to be fair.

Not buying it.

You are biased against people that just happen to be supporters of larger teams. You make the assumption that everyone follows a team because they are successful.

Some do, some don't.

Exactly the same in the AFL. Don't kid yourself.

My assumption is due to the system and the lack of any mechanism to even out the competition, the majority of overseas supporters are driven into the arms of one of the rich 5, I am a realist. Tottenham is a big club with financial capacity well in excess of most of the other clubs in the premier league, I can acknowledge this, I dont understand why you cant.

Only 5-7 out of the 20 clubs in the premier league have a shot at the top 4, even then realistically only 5 are a strong chance. Are you claiming it is the same as in the AFL? Surely not...The Spurs vs Arsenal rivalry is nothing like the West Coast vs Freo, due to salary caps and the draft.

Enjoy Totteringham's day, I just dont see when all things are considered its something to overly gloat about.

My assumption is due to the system and the lack of any mechanism to even out the competition, the majority of overseas supporters are driven into the arms of one of the rich 5, I am a realist. Tottenham is a big club with financial capacity well in excess of most of the other clubs in the premier league, I can acknowledge this, I dont understand why you cant.

Only 5-7 out of the 20 clubs in the premier league have a shot at the top 4, even then realistically only 5 are a strong chance. Are you claiming it is the same as in the AFL? Surely not...The Spurs vs Arsenal rivalry is nothing like the West Coast vs Freo, due to salary caps and the draft.

Enjoy Totteringham's day, I just dont see when all things are considered its something to overly gloat about.

The AFL is just as artificial as the premier league, just in reverse. Nothing is even in the AFL, the smaller clubs are forced to be competitive by being gifted the next gen of best players. They do nothing to earn it. They will win their premiership then fall back to mediocrity. Why? because big teams in the AFL will always be driving into the arm of the rich, successful club. Explain Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, north Melbourne lack of fans otherwise.

What? I never claimed otherwise. You're the one making the assumption that's the reason I follow my team.

I have no idea what the next point means? West Coast have a rivalry because of the draft/salary cap?

I hate these people who argue that unless you live/were born there you don't have a right to support your team.

I chose Arsenal because when I was a kid two of my best mates were Man United fans and I wanted to pick the team they hated the most, which at the time was the Gooners.

Doesn't matter what my motive was because I have been a mad Arsenal fan ever since. I'd say that after 20+ years of living and breathing Arsenal Football Club that the hate for Tottenham has somewhat got through to me :D and that's why I love St Totteringham's Day every year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate these people who argue that unless you live/were born there you don't have a right to support your team.

I chose Arsenal because when I was a kid two of my best mates were Man United fans and I wanted to pick the team they hated the most, which at the time was the Gooners.

Doesn't matter what my motive was because I have been a mad Arsenal fan ever since. I'd say that after 20+ years of living and breathing Arsenal Football Club that the hate for Tottenham has somewhat got through to me :D and that's why I love St Totteringham's Day every year!

Its not a matter of right to support the team, its more a case of justifying certain behaviours as a result of choosing to support a wealthy succesful club in a system that is rigged.

The AFL is just as artificial as the premier league, just in reverse. Nothing is even in the AFL, the smaller clubs are forced to be competitive by being gifted the next gen of best players. They do nothing to earn it. They will win their premiership then fall back to mediocrity. Why? because big teams in the AFL will always be driving into the arm of the rich, successful club. Explain Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, north Melbourne lack of fans otherwise.

Of course they earn it, the kids that are drafted have to be developed and finances have to be managed to fit within the system. Smaller clubs and their supporter base like Kangaroos and the Doggies earn success through loyalty through hard times with the realistic hope for success in the future. All clubs and their supporter bases in the AFL can realistically enjoy success which makes the hard times endured that much more meaningful and gives people new to the game options of who to support.

Absolutely nothing like the premier league where 15 clubs have no hope of winning the league or making champions league. The 5 clubs and supporter base battling for top have inflated expectations of success.

I have no idea what the next point means? West Coast have a rivalry because of the draft/salary cap?

Freo and West Coast fans have an even rivalry because both set of supporter bases theoretically can hope to have success over the other club. Freo fans can start each season claiming to be the top club because they know eventually the tables will turn.

Spurs supporters who going into the season talking up their teams chances against the wealthier Arsenal are doing so at far longer odds, which makes Totteringhams day all the more riduclous. Spurs have failed to finish ahead of Arsenal because of the wealth gap, this is unlikely to change while both clubs have differenet finances.

I cant understand why Gunners supporters from abroad whos only experience of Tottenham and their fans is a few local mates and some internet forum would get so excited over Totteringhams day when it more often than not a given.

I was ignorant to football prior to following Arsenal and only chose them because whenever me and my mate played FIFA 2001 he would choose Arsenal for me.

Then the love grew from there.

Completely understandable, we all have stories like that of what brought us to beautiful game. There is nothing wrong with supporting the wealthy clubs and it totally makes sense, I just question the attitude of some of the overseas fans towards the success and poorer clubs.

That said Liverpool fans remain the absolute worst, most gunners fans I know can enjoy the game day spurs rivalry and then move on.

Of course they earn it, the kids that are drafted have to be developed and finances have to be managed to fit within the system. Smaller clubs and their supporter base like Kangaroos and the Doggies earn success through loyalty through hard times with the realistic hope for success in the future. All clubs and their supporter bases in the AFL can realistically enjoy success which makes the hard times endured that much more meaningful and gives people new to the game options of who to support.

Absolutely nothing like the premier league where 15 clubs have no hope of winning the league or making champions league. The 5 clubs and supporter base battling for top have inflated expectations of success.

Freo and West Coast fans have an even rivalry because both set of supporter bases theoretically can hope to have success over the other club. Freo fans can start each season claiming to be the top club because they know eventually the tables will turn.

Spurs supporters who going into the season talking up their teams chances against the wealthier Arsenal are doing so at far longer odds, which makes Totteringhams day all the more riduclous. Spurs have failed to finish ahead of Arsenal because of the wealth gap, this is unlikely to change while both clubs have differenet finances.

I cant understand why Gunners supporters from abroad whos only experience of Tottenham and their fans is a few local mates and some internet forum would get so excited over Totteringhams day when it more often than not a given.

I don't buy that at all. Arsenal and Wenger have finished above Spurs consistently with a negative net spend on transfers whilst Spurs have spent to their heart's content. Arsenal are just a much better run club then Spurs and finances has little to effect on who has performed better.

In regards to the AFL I was in to it as a kid and now only go to 2 games a season. It is an artificial league now where the AFL does its best to gift every club a chance of winning the premiership rather then them earn it themselves. The best run clubs in the EPL finish the highest usually. No bs salary caps, drafts, trades & skewed draws (some teams getting the chance to play shite teams twice and some not). We had Wigan win the FA Cup, teams who finish low on the table have something to play for (relegation) rather then teams tanking for draft picks. Yes, the AFL system has some advantages but will never be as good as the EPL system which rewards quality not mediocrity.

I don't buy that at all. Arsenal and Wenger have finished above Spurs consistently with a negative net spend on transfers whilst Spurs have spent to their heart's content. Arsenal are just a much better run club then Spurs and finances has little to effect on who has performed better.

I agree the Wenger played a role, but the bigger driver remains salary which attracts and more importantly retains top players. Spurs have had a massive transfer budget due to being forced to repeatedly sell world class players, while being forced to replace those players with those of lesser talents or developing talents.

QUOTE="WorldCup2022OZ, post: 32852962, member: 94955"]
In regards to the AFL I was in to it as a kid and now only go to 2 games a season. It is an artificial league now where the AFL does its best to gift every club a chance of winning the premiership rather then them earn it themselves. The best run clubs in the EPL finish the highest usually. No bs salary caps, drafts, trades & skewed draws (some teams getting the chance to play shite teams twice and some not). We had Wigan win the FA Cup, teams who finish low on the table have something to play for (relegation) rather then teams tanking for draft picks. Yes, the AFL system has some advantages but will never be as good as the EPL system which rewards quality not mediocrity.[/QUOTE]

The best run clubs have the wealthiest owners or at least those willing to spend the most, which then is reflected in larger stadiums and greater revenue. Are you claiming City and Chelsea earned their success?

Do you honestly want a AFL where only 1/4 of the clubs have any hope of winning the premiership? Where wealthy owners can have a far bigger impact than any amount of good management?

As I said end of the day, the financial factor is a reality of the game and I admit to have enjoyed watching Liverpool play this year despite having serious issues with their fan base.

All I am questioning is how do some international fans justify their behaviour, its similar to buying a Ferari and then dancing around in front of Prius owners pointing out how much faster you are.

City & Chelsea bought success quickly, there's no denying that. That's not to say other clubs can't do what they have without spending big bucks. Unlike AFL clubs EPL clubs develop their own talent and don't have it handed to them on a platter or given to which ever side suits the AFL's needs the most.

And Arsenal are the best example of that, consistently developing young players and selling for big profits. You'll find they have spent markedly less then Spurs have over the last 10-15 seasons or so and haven't relied on wealthy owners to prop them up.

Fair enough about some of the fans gloating about St Toternigham's day. You could say the same for a vast majority of AFL fans though who rarely come from the suburb that their team is based (melbourne teams).

I agree the Wenger played a role, but the bigger driver remains salary which attracts and more importantly retains top players. Spurs have had a massive transfer budget due to being forced to repeatedly sell world class players, while being forced to replace those players with those of lesser talents or developing talents.
LOL and we haven't?

Fabregas, Nasri, Adebayor, Van Persie ring a bell? Just because you sold your best player and replaced him with 100 million worth of flogs, blame your chairman rather than a "system that is rigged".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back