Stadium Capacity Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW I think they’ve been reasonably consistent with the 100,018 figure. If it is the case then anything over 100k is quite unbelievable, even 1% of ticket-holders as no-shows is over 1,000 tickets. There’ll always be some no-shows at any event for whatever reason.

I wonder if they are including ground staff, players etc in the 'attendance' figure? Not hard to imagine that there's at least 1000 people working at the G on grand final day.

At least it's not like the NFL, where 'attendance' is counted as the number of tickets sold, not the number of people who turn up to the venue.

I wonder if they are including ground staff, players etc in the 'attendance' figure? Not hard to imagine that there's at least 1000 people working at the G on grand final day.

At least it's not like the NFL, where 'attendance' is counted as the number of tickets sold, not the number of people who turn up to the venue.

real life example of why that doesn't work, last year, rabbitohs vs broncos at nib stadium in Perth, the game was sold out but the attendance was only about 16,000 because of a giant storm. For the record I was there and apart from getting absolutely drenched I had a great night.

real life example of why that doesn't work, last year, rabbitohs vs broncos at nib stadium in Perth, the game was sold out but the attendance was only about 16,000 because of a giant storm. For the record I was there and apart from getting absolutely drenched I had a great night.

Perth Oval wouldn't hold much more than 16,000 would it?

Possibly slightly off topic, but I believe AAMI Park holds only slightly more than 25,000. The official number is a touch over 30,000. Yet when half the stadium is filled, it certainly seems to be about 60-75% filled. I'm not a Victory, nor Heart fan (as they like to believe one another is bumping up attendances), but it's very weird.

Perh Oval feels the same sometimes. It would not surprise me if the inadequacies of the owners meant they've lost track of how many they can fit...

Possibly slightly off topic, but I believe AAMI Park holds only slightly more than 25,000. The official number is a touch over 30,000. Yet when half the stadium is filled, it certainly seems to be about 60-75% filled. I'm not a Victory, nor Heart fan (as they like to believe one another is bumping up attendances), but it's very weird.

Perh Oval feels the same sometimes. It would not surprise me if the inadequacies of the owners meant they've lost track of how many they can fit...

During Glory games the top tier of seats is "tarped", that's probably why you think there are more than there actually is.

According to PDFs accessed from http://aamipark.com.au/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-176/130_read-110/ capacity for Rebels, Victory, Storm and Heart games is 30,052. Worth noting that about 1500 of those seats are dining/suites, but the 30k is definitely there.

I've only been to AAMI once, so I'd definitely take the call of a Melburnian. But there are consistently murmurs within the soccer fraternity about it. Melbourne Victory fans believe the Heart have their crowd figures put up, whilst their own are put down. So I suppose that's an indictment on the conspiracy.

I find a lot of stadium capacities in Australia to be questionable.

It's difficult to find a figure that sounds correct for the WACA.
It's clearly not the 24,500.
I think it is about 22,000 with 8,000 in members and 14,000 GA, but the Members doesn't look that empty during the Scorchers home games.

I've also read 28,300 in regards to Kardinia Park before.

I find a lot of stadium capacities in Australia to be questionable.

It's difficult to find a figure that sounds correct for the WACA.
It's clearly not the 24,500.
I think it is about 22,000 with 8,000 in members and 14,000 GA, but the Members doesn't look that empty during the Scorchers home games.

I've also read 28,300 in regards to Kardinia Park before.

Not sure where 42,000 would fit into the GABBA either??? 37,500 seems to be the maximum that can squeeze in there.

Bellerive Oval's southern stand has 6000 seats. Not sure how many the north-west adn the stuart spencer stand have but would only be 150max in each. Members would have approx 1000 I reckon and Century Room/corporate would be about 500 I'd say

Hopefully we can get an accurate capacity for each of the major stadiums in Australia.

This data is from Austadiums. If anyone has more accurate data it would be appreciated.

Code:
#    Stadium               City       Capacity      Seated Capacity      Future Capacity
1.   The MCG               Melbourne  100,018       100,000*
2.   Stadium Australia     Sydney      83,500        83,500
3.   Docklands Stadium     Melbourne   56,347        53,371
4.   Football Park         Adelaide    51,515        51,515
5.   The SCG               Sydney      46,000        44,002              48,000 
6.   Subiaco Oval          Perth       42,922        42,922
7.   The Gabba             Brisbane    42,000        42,000
8.   Adelaide Oval         Adelaide    36,000        30,000              54,600
9.   Kardinia Park         Geelong     27,000        27,000              34,500
10.  Carrara Stadium       Gold Coast  25,000        25,000              40,000
11.  Sydney Showground     Sydney      25,000        25,000
12.  The WACA              Perth       24,500*       ?????
13.  York Park             Launceston  21,000        12,200
14.  Bellerive Oval        Hobart      16,000        ????                20,000
15.  Manuka Oval           Canberra    15,000        13,550
16.  Marrara Stadium       Darwin      15,000         5,000
17.  Cazaly's Stadium      Cairns      12,000        ????

*Questionable number
Well you can fix up Kardinia Park. Officially in 2011 it was listed as 28,300, however I find this questionable. Also far less than this would be seated.

http://www.afl.com.au/fixture/aflvenues/victoria/tabid/13533/default.aspx

2012 will see this reduced due to construction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy park had some changes a few years back.
Dropped the capacity down by about 1,000

All I recall is that the crowd in the 2009 Elimination Final was about 100 off what capacity had become.

to be honest, I doubt newcastle will get it. The most likely would be either Gold Coast or Canberra, Victoria already has two teams and Newcastle doesn't have the stadium.

There is a guy called Nathan Tinkler who doesn't mind splashing the cash on sporting teams in the Hunter.

I'm sure if this Big Bash League can really be a money-spinner he'd be more than a little interested. (Perhaps with the added bonus of getting the State Government to build some sort of 25,000 boutique cricket stadium in Newcastle - which of course does have the added benefit of allowing AFL games to be brought to Newcastle).

I've only been to AAMI once, so I'd definitely take the call of a Melburnian. But there are consistently murmurs within the soccer fraternity about it. Melbourne Victory fans believe the Heart have their crowd figures put up, whilst their own are put down. So I suppose that's an indictment on the conspiracy.

Got to be kidding me!

That is the last thing the FFA would be doing. lol

The MCGs seating capacity is officially 95,000.

http://www.mcg.org.au/The MCG Stadium/Facts and Figures.aspx

"......Stadium Capacity
The total capacity of the MCG is approximately 100,000.

This comprises 95,000 seats and 5000 standing room spaces, which are sold at the discretion of the event promoter........."
95,000 is far from official - hard to imagine that exact number of seating.

It's one of many things that shits me about the MCC, their caginess about an official (real) seating capacity. How hard is it to count every seat ffs.

Probably because it's an even, rounded number. And from my memory, the MCG website says things like "the capacity is around....".

Probably because it's an even, rounded number. And from my memory, the MCG website says things like "the capacity is around....".

Capacity can vary due to the amount of standing room tickets available.
There is no doubt there is (nearabouts) 95,000 seats.

There is certainly not 100,000 seats at the MCG.That is plain obvious.

Yeah, but that isn't the point I was stressing. For the MCG itself to not know their exact capacity is a little amateur.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back