Stadium Capacity vs Crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Plus Fremantle got a disgraceful 12th home game. Compromising the whole ladder even more than it already is. If they ended up 8th and some team 9th within one win of them, with only 11 home games, people will catch on how disgraceful it is.

LOL. Yeah how dare the AFL compromise the integrity of the fixture...

Canberra

Did freo pay gold coast or the afl the rights to host?
Good question. All I know is that Freo paid $1.2m for the right to host the game. Whether that money goes to the AFL or the Suns I don't know.

To play in Canberra, I'm guessing that the Suns would have to pay to hire the venue/staff etc. and you would probably expect a crowd of about 5-10K.

The other point is that they stayed in Perth during the week as they play WCE this weekend - probably better than flying down to Canberra and back and then having to fly to Perth a few days later.

The comparison is a problem because you can't statistically compare vastly different situations without accounting for context. A better comparison would be comparing attendance against membership. In this system, stkilda would win if they decided to host every home game at punt road cause 5000 would turn up and fill the 'stadium'

So population is a problem for you?

Suggestion: interprete the numbers.

Good question. All I know is that Freo paid $1.2m for the right to host the game. Whether that money goes to the AFL or the Suns I don't know.

To play in Canberra, I'm guessing that the Suns would have to pay to hire the venue/staff etc. and you would probably expect a crowd of about 5-10K.

The other point is that they stayed in Perth during the week as they play WCE this weekend - probably better than flying down to Canberra and back and then having to fly to Perth a few days later.

Freo paid, you sure of that. Tourism WA, $nothing? Venue operators?

Freo paid, you sure of that. Tourism WA, $nothing? Venue operators?

Didn't it actually cause a loss for Freo? They paid more than they sold in tickets or something?

Besides, didn't one of the MCG tenants play something like 16 games in the MCG one year?

The problem with this comparison is that it's much easier to 80% fill a 50k stadium in a 2-team town than it is to 80% fill a 100k stadium in a 10 team town.

Also I find it interesting all the whining in the MCG thread where WA supporters are claiming to be bigger than everyone else, yet they can't fill their brand new 50k stadium

Much more expensive to go to the footy in Perth than Melbourne, the growing trend of it's on TV will continue.

The problem with this comparison is that it's much easier to 80% fill a 50k stadium in a 2-team town than it is to 80% fill a 100k stadium in a 10 team town.

Also I find it interesting all the whining in the MCG thread where WA supporters are claiming to be bigger than everyone else, yet they can't fill their brand new 50k stadium

But you only have one set of supporters to fill the ground in a two team town.

When two Vic sides play each other both sets of supporters are easily able to attend 2 x 45k = 90k

Or do Vic supporters only go and watch their team if they are designated as the home team.

Rich v Melbourne MCG - great our home game lets go
Melbourne v Richmond MCG - bummer, can't go its not our home game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When two Vic sides play each other both sets of supporters are easily able to attend 2 x 45k = 90k

Or do Vic supporters only go and watch their team if they are designated as the home team.

I think it's related to what Scotland said about supporters in Melbourne being theatre goers.

A lot of my Melbourne friends will only go to matches if their team is playing against another Victorian club. I think there is more of a culture here where people are more likely to go to matches with their friends that support the opposition team. That's not something really possible in other states.

Where should've the FRE v GCS game been played then?
Good question.
Somewhere within reasonable reach of Gold Coast fan base. Maybe take the opportunity of playing a game at Coffs Harbour, Sunshine Coast or if no grounds suitable there, Sydney or Canberra so no other club is gaining an extra home game over 16 other clubs. It is beyond a joke one club has 12 home games and the other 16 clubs are unfairly affected.

Plus Fremantle got a disgraceful 12th home game. Compromising the whole ladder even more than it already is. If they ended up 8th and some team 9th within one win of them, with only 11 home games, people will catch on how disgraceful it is.
A scandalous situation which Carlton supporters need not fear.

a lot of supporters buy 11 home game membership so the home team will have a lot more supporters than the away team. But yes it is possible to attend.

Good question.
Somewhere within reasonable reach of Gold Coast fan base. Maybe take the opportunity of playing a game at Coffs Harbour, Sunshine Coast or if no grounds suitable there, Sydney or Canberra so no other club is gaining an extra home game over 16 other clubs. It is beyond a joke one club has 12 home games and the other 16 clubs are unfairly affected.

The other 16 clubs aren't really affected, though. If Gold Coast vs Freo is played in Perth are Adelaide more or less affected than if it's played in Melbourne or Perth or Honolulu?

The AFL's 22/18 fixture is a complete DB. A DB with V for anyone who remembers The Dream with Roy and HG. Freo having to leave Perth only 9 times instead of 10 is an advantage for them, but then some Melbourne clubs have left Victoria 3 or 4 times in a season compared to others who've done it 6 or 7 times. Hawthorn and North even more than that with their Tassie deals, but that's their making. How much of an advantage is an extra home game compared to say playing Gold Coast or GWS twice in their first 2-3 years?

Interesting Concept. Look forward to seeing the final numbers come seasons end and like has already been mentioned maybe skip GC until they actually have their home games back.
Yeah, seems I picked an annoying year to try this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back