Stadium Capacity vs Crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

The number of games out of Melbourne is a sacrifice, but it's for the good of the game (live football in places that wouldn't get games otherwise)...It also has the practical reason of the stadia in Melbourne not being able to handle more games.

As for SA/WA...There is a big difference between games being sold to venues that wouldn't get games otherwise and to other teams home venues. A game in Broome (for example) would be a different matter to a game in Perth.

Another example of AFL equality, non Vic clubs travel 10 times each year, surely Vic clubs could travel a minimum of say 8.
Its not as if playing at home is sacred for many clubs, its just about money ... & there is supply & demand.

WAFL clubs regularly play in their zones.

IF its wrong for Freo, its wrong for Geelong unless it doesn't suit your logic, equality?
Hurray, you eventually get it.
Indeed. Gold Coast v Geelong here or down in Geelong would effectively be a 12th home game for them. Which would be just as much a disgrace as the Fremantle 12th home game we seen.

Suns fans/members don't like going there

another issue for suns fans and growing the game / crowds - just to get side tracked - is that the northern rivers section of NSW (which has 250,000 people or so, and the suns have done a lot of work there) - don't get the games on free to air tv - as its nsw, they show giants and swans games.

afl have dropped the ball there.
I went to Byron a few times last year with my kids, and the suns were on tv (away in melb or perth) and the 7 (or prime or whatever its called) had the gws game on one time and the swans game another time

Got a mate (VFL expat) who lives on the Coast & he suggested he would have taken in one game in BrisVegas (as he cynically calls it) v one of Vic clubs.

Hurray, you eventually get it.
Indeed. Gold Coast v Geelong here or down in Geelong would effectively be a 12th home game for them. Which would be just as much a disgrace as the Fremantle 12th home game we seen.

1 + 1 = whatever you want it to be .... give Dan a call he needs logic like yours to sell his moratorium on drilling & doing it anyhow.

Yet Geelong v Hawthorn at the MCG isn't effectively an extra home game for Hawthorn?

Geelong market a 3 game home package for the G, so they're obviously at home, so the Hawks are equally as obviously away - only a problem to 78 when its WA, but there a lack of cohunas to admit by 78.

It equals 2. Educate yourself.

I've started my education & found:
Geelong v the Hawks, where home games include Kardinya Park, the G, Etihad, and Launceston.
Found Melbourne, the Dogs, North, Tiges ... & last of all Gold Coast v Freo - asleep at wheel 78, its been going on for years, what made it obvious to you now?
Only difference is a one off game, educate me 78.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love those Xcel skills, :) , membership #s as claimed as a % of attendances might send a few blowhards AWOL.

:thumbsu: great work, ta !!
Yeh, would be nice if there was a breakdown on "members" attending each game after scan-in. You know the clubs have these stats but don't release them.

what is your data for the 4 home games for suns? is it cairns + perth + gabba + shanghai?
Yeah, it is just the "home" games, not the home ground (as no team plays all "home" games at a single stadium"). I was tempted to remove the Perth and Shanghai games, but not sure how to communicate that difference in the numbers (unless its just GC with a *)

At the end of the day, they can only fill what stadiums they play in.

Last edited:
This would be more fun at the end of a season in a world where there wasn't club medallion and afl members etc areas stopping the possible attended total.

Would be interesting if they released "seats/tickets paid for" vs. actual attendance figures.

I doubt the AFL or grounds particularly care if someone actually attends, as long as the seat is sold and money is made.

Would be interesting if they released "seats/tickets paid for" vs. actual attendance figures.

I doubt the AFL or grounds particularly care if someone actually attends, as long as the seat is sold and money is made.

Attendance can improve the bottom line through food, drink & merch sales. It also adds to the atmosphere, which makes for better TV.

So I'd say they're not totally indifferent.

Attendance can improve the bottom line through food, drink & merch sales. It also adds to the atmosphere, which makes for better TV.

So I'd say they're not totally indifferent.

Fair enough. It's still often not a total loss if there's not someone physically sitting in the seat, though. Revenue from club and ground memberships probably papers over some cracks in actual attendance.

Yeh, would be nice if there was a breakdown on "members" attending each game after scan-in. You know the clubs have these stats but don't release them.

Probably because most clubs have regional/interstate members who might not be able to get to many games, who still buy a membership to support the club.

Probably because most clubs have regional/interstate members who might not be able to get to many games, who still buy a membership to support the club.
That's fine though. They are taking stats for the memberships used to buy tickets, or scan in on the day. We want to know how many members are actually turning up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back