Stadium Capacity vs Crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

That's fine though. They are taking stats for the memberships used to buy tickets, or scan in on the day. We want to know how many members are actually turning up

But there's likely plenty of people who purchase a membership level which provides them with game access, but they either can't or don't go, so the numbers are probably going to be a bit skewed.

But there's likely plenty of people who purchase a membership level which provides them with game access, but they either can't or don't go, so the numbers are probably going to be a bit skewed.
Id think they would be minor enough to not matter. Most interstate members get interstate memberships afaik.

Id think they would be minor enough to not matter. Most interstate members get interstate memberships afaik.
Based on Optus, I would guess a minimum would be 6 or 7% not turning up to highly desirable games, rising to 15 to 20% for less desirable games.

This is based on the Eagles Richmond game still being several K below capacity, despite there being few to no public tickets left. It means the bulk of the missing attendees being membership no shows.

Freo this week had sub 40k. Even if only half the public tickets sold, that's still roughly 15k members missing.

In Melbourne, with more games and more options, I suspect the figure is higher.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The percentage filled numbers are interesting, when an often heard excuse for the 'go home' factor, that advantages the heartland States is the opportunity to play in front of 80k crowds not the small crowds of the developing States.
Obviously stadium capacity is a factor over which clubs have no control.
H & A 2017, the average crowd at the G was 51,116, so I tend to discount that argument as self serving for those running that line - 80k games are far from the norm & clearly favour some clubs.
https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2017.html#03

Keep up the work Gyda :thumbsu:

Last edited:
The percentage filled numbers are interesting, when an often heard excuse for the 'go home' factor, that advantages the heartland States is the opportunity to play in front of 80k crowds not the small crowds of the developing States.
I guess you get the chance to player in front of bigger single game crowds, but if you want more consistent crowd sizes to play in front of, you are better off playing in SA or WA.

Fair enough. It's still often not a total loss if there's not someone physically sitting in the seat, though. Revenue from club and ground memberships probably papers over some cracks in actual attendance.

Depends what the average per person spend on food/drink/merch per game (and just to provide some numbers to see that, a $15 per person spend on 20k crowd is $300k compared to $450k on a 30k crowd). So it would be incredibly relevant to their catering contracts etc.and not so much on an individual game level per club (although Geelongs take on a crowd of 30k at KP opposed to Etihad probably speaks to how valuable it is on that level also)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends what the average per person spend on food/drink/merch per game (and just to provide some numbers to see that, a $15 per person spend on 20k crowd is $300k compared to $450k on a 30k crowd). So it would be incredibly relevant to their catering contracts etc.and not so much on an individual game level per club (although Geelongs take on a crowd of 30k at KP opposed to Etihad probably speaks to how valuable it is on that level also)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have hit the nail on the head crowds are very important for the extra income generated.

Even something like the Footy Record make the AFL millions and this area of ancillary income is where the AFL creams all the other codes

You have hit the nail on the head crowds are very important for the extra income generated.

Even something like the Footy Record make the AFL millions and this area of ancillary income is where the AFL creams all the other codes

Turnover aint profit, though the royalty raised by the stadium manager on say catering has next to no direct cost, thats all carried by the contractor.
The AFL, the MCC, VenuesLive, bank these proceeds at the Grounds they manage, not sure how Geelong is set up these days ...

Last edited:
Turnover aint profit, though the royalty raised by the stadium manager on say catering has next to no direct cost, thats all carried by the contractor.
The AFL, the MCC, VenuesLive, bank these proceeds at the Grounds they manage, not sure how Geelong is set up these days ...
Turnover aint profit
Sorry no turnover = NO profit! I should know as I run my own medium sized company no sales no profit..
I will take the profit from food/drink/merch from an 80,000 match at the MCG over 10,000 for the other codes at ANZ and AAMI any day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldnt find it, but I remember reading/hearing something about the Record facing a few troubles

apparently the use of smart phones at the footy is a massive issue

I can believe it. 10 years ago i'd always buy the record, nowadays i'd only bother if my son was coming with me and he wanted one. And usually I still wouldn't care to read it.
And it's entirely due to having a smartphone there to entertain myself before a game. I'll usually watch whatever game is on beforehand. It's like every other magazine I guess, online competition is killing them.

I can believe it. 10 years ago i'd always buy the record, nowadays i'd only bother if my son was coming with me and he wanted one. And usually I still wouldn't care to read it.
And it's entirely due to having a smartphone there to entertain myself before a game. I'll usually watch whatever game is on beforehand. It's like every other magazine I guess, online competition is killing them.
The WAFL equivalent is given away free as part of your ticket, can also be purchased separately for $3.

Imop is every bit as good as The Record as well, so I do not see how the AFL isn't making a killing.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Fell behind a bit. Here is Round 14

upload_2018-7-3_21-23-7.png

After Round 14
upload_2018-7-3_21-23-52.png

Total Progress
521194_15bbade77cef73acd19d6f0c60123096.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back