Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Forzaport

May 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Hotel thing is absurd I can't take these ppl seriously.
If the hotel goes ahead, the following will happen:
1) overheads at Adelaide Oval will sky rocket.
2) the hotel will be overpriced and mostly empty on non-event days (i.e. most of the year)
3) the SMA will expect the AFL clubs to cover the inevitable shortfall in revenue

The SANFL remains the shining example of how to ruin a state-sponsored monopoly. It beggars belief that they were given a second bite of the cherry at the AO. As an organisation, the SANFL is just not equipped to successfully manage a lemonade stand, let alone a stadium. When all your decisions only accelerate the decline, it's time to hand the reigns to an independent panel with adequate representation from all stakeholders, not just the tin pot grassroots types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alberton Proud

Premiership Player
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If the hotel goes ahead, the following will happen:
1) overheads at Adelaide Oval will sky rocket.
2) the hotel will be overpriced and mostly empty on non-event days (i.e. most of the year)
3) the SMA will expect the AFL clubs to cover the inevitable shortfall in revenue

The SANFL remains the shining example of how to ruin a state-sponsored monopoly. It beggars belief that they were given a second bite of the cherry at the AO. As an organisation, the SANFL is just not equipped to successfully manage a lemonade stand, let alone a stadium. When all your decisions only accelerate the decline, it's time to hand the reigns to an independent panel with adequate representation from all stakeholders, not just the tin pot grassroots types.

NTRabbit

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 1, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, 76ers, Royals
With the state Liberals deliberately sinking the Commonwealth Games bid, there's now certainly not going to be any more tram extensions without a change of government, to the Oval or anywhere else, so that's two more knocks on this hotel

bomberclifford

Importer/Exporter
Sep 2, 2005
Cerebral Cortex
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
I‘m so confused by this hotel s**t, why would SACA and SANFL get any direct funds from a ******* hotel the government is paying for
I’m also confused at how quickly this thing has been proposed, funded and approved.

It’s so outrageously ‘unAdelaide’ that it makes me very suspicious of what’s actually going on.

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’m also confused at how quickly this thing has been proposed, funded and approved.

It’s so outrageously ‘unAdelaide’ that it makes me very suspicious of what’s actually going on.

Agreed.

It's beyond comprehension how any person or persons with expertise within the hospitality industry would suggest this hotel will ever be a profitable enterprise.

In an ealier life, I suppled the sector so only too aware of how many go bust.

As I live in Olson territory, our very active local member asked for any suggestions he should raise about any issues.

My reply was, "dump Hurley and Olson and get them out of the SMA and sanfl". No reply but I believe Hurley is heading to QLD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Workingclass

Debutant
Aug 8, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agreed.

It's beyond comprehension how any person or persons with expertise within the hospitality industry would suggest this hotel will ever be a profitable enterprise.

In an ealier life, I suppled the sector so only too aware of how many go bust.

As I live in Olson territory, our very active local member asked for any suggestions he should raise about any issues.

My reply was, "dump Hurley and Olson and get them out of the SMA and sanfl". No reply but I believe Hurley is heading to QLD.
Mr Motorola masterminded Stephen Marshall's election and is in debt for life. I'm told watching relevant scenes from Rosemary's Baby provides an accurate reference point.

simba_

ask me how to use this space for advertising
Jun 2, 2009
50XX
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, mew2king, Utah Jazz
so not only will they continue to leech money from every patron who enters the ground for any sport but now anybody who stays at that hotel when over here

simba_

ask me how to use this space for advertising
Jun 2, 2009
50XX
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, mew2king, Utah Jazz
why would anyone stay at that hotel tho, the oval is the only thing its near
i imagine corporate packages would be a big part of it, all the chubby wealthy men who want to "avoid the riff raff" "get in get out" of the city. it is "just a short walk from the shops". it's like a massive extension on the Audi Club for people to be pampered and overpay for a Deluxe Experience. it's like a nightmare.

Papa G

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From what I understand the rooms won't even face the ground, ie you can't watch anything from your room. (I know REH mentioned the couple caught rooting at a baseball game at some stadium in America).

So I'm comparing this to Old Trafford, which has 85 rooms all facing the ground. Rooms during the Ashes started from 499 quid a night. Would obviously be cheaper at other times, but those county grounds get a lot more cricket than ours do. Also, given it's proximity to the Man U football ground, I dare say the place would be pretty busy during the winter months too. Man U is a global brand. The business case stacks up.

None of these things stack up for a hotel at AO. None.

VineValerian

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
The SANFL remains the shining example of how to ruin a state-sponsored monopoly. It beggars belief that they were given a second bite of the cherry at the AO. As an organisation, the SANFL is just not equipped to successfully manage a lemonade stand, let alone a stadium.
Carn mate.

I know for a fact that they do have the expertise to operate a lemonade stand. As long as they have the monopoly on it versus every competitor within a 10Km radius.

Top Bottom