Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Cornsey wants to sell the naming rights of Adelaide Oval to make it cheaper for fans by then reducing game day costs.... he does realise the SMA will just pocket it all doesn’t he, not an honest bone in that place, what planet is he on?

SMA = Greed

I don't know the finer legalities or lease arrangements, but nominally at least Adelaide Oval in its entirety is on Crown land under the care, control & management of the Adelaide City Council. Although attitudes are loosening over time, I'd find it quite amazing if the Council allowed a sponsor to have naming rights of the oval. Having said this, the State Government is the Crown in this arrangement so could probably override the Council in such a matter if sufficiently inclined. That's my (limited) understanding anyway.

I reckon the AO/SMA are going to be in a massive amount of s**t next year. Ports memberships and crowds in free fall and if the Crows have a poor year their crowds will suffer too.

Honestly, why does getting a naming rights sponsor for Adelaide Oval offend so many people? The whole ******* ground is draped in sponsorship. If the SMA can get a couple of mill from it let them. their justifications for leeching in other ways then diminish.

If they sell the naming rights, the money should go straight into the sinking funding. That annual commitment will hit $3m in 2020.

Should be able to get around $5m per year based on the Perth Stadium deal. That way the SANFL and SACA can't piss that up against the wall. It locks them out of having to find $$ for that expenditure, so no excuse not to keep prices down.

Cornsey wants to sell the naming rights of Adelaide Oval to make it cheaper for fans by then reducing game day costs.... he does realise the SMA will just pocket it all doesn’t he, not an honest bone in that place, what planet is he on?

SMA = Greed

Should Port sell naming tights to Alberton Oval? Just keep the first name there as a minimum., so that we still see the ground as our heartland and part of our DNA, whilst the sponsor still gets their name in their as well.

"China Power Alberton Oval" sounds ok to me. Council may object though.

$1mill per annum to start off with, increasing every year.

Would help pay off debt and enable us to fight back against the AFL on significant issues viz. PB guernsey, F/S inequities, scheduling of fixtures, NGI rules favouring Vic clubs, etc.

Isn't it in like the SACA constitution or some s**t that they can't have it as a sponsored name

Honestly, why does getting a naming rights sponsor for Adelaide Oval offend so many people? The whole ******* ground is draped in sponsorship. If the SMA can get a couple of mill from it let them. their justifications for leeching in other ways then diminish.
The inside of the ground is draped in sponsorship, so not visible from the public space outside.

My reasons:
- it is our land, not some private company's
- gratuitous advertising on the outside of the stadium in a public space
- tradition

Improve the product on offer (quality of football) and the cost of use (particularly catering), before resorting to this little bit of soul destruction in my view.

Isn't it in like the SACA constitution or some s**t that they can't have it as a sponsored name
It's in the legislation, but that can be changed. It's SA so probably by the time that happens the 80 year lease just about is finished, but there is a very small chance it could happen.

I was talking if it was to ever happen, then how the legislation should be changed to keep the SANFL's and SACA's greedy hands off naming rights monies.

The name, the scoreboard, the grassed area and the Moreton Bay Figs are protected by Section 4 of The Adelaide Oval Redevelopment and Management Act 2011 ( and relevant regulations). Although the trees need approval from ACC rather than a change in the legislation

Part 2—Adelaide Oval Core Area
4—Lease to be granted to Minister

(5) It will be taken to be a term of a lease under subsection (1) that the Minister must
ensure—
(a) that the area constituting the Adelaide Oval Core Area continues to be named
Adelaide Oval;
and
(b) that the Adelaide Oval Scoreboard is maintained in good condition where it
stands on the commencement of this Act; and
(c) that at least 1 200 square metres of grassed open space is kept at the northern
end of Adelaide Oval (between the scoreboard and the western stands).

(6) However, subsection (5)(c) does not prevent the placing of a building or other
structure on any open space maintained for the purposes of that subsection—
(a) on a temporary basis for a period not exceeding 1 month; or
(b) on a temporary basis for the purposes of a special event or activity prescribed
by the regulations for the purposes of this paragraph.

(7) The Minister (or any other person) must not remove or substantially alter any Moreton
Bay fig tree (ficus macrophylla) located within the Adelaide Oval Core Area without
the approval of the Council (which approval must not be unreasonably withheld).

I wonder if this would preclude it being called something like "Telstra Adelaide Oval" for example.
I thought about that, but if the SMA were to ever consider going down that path, before they sign any deal, they would want to check with The Minister, the solicitor general, attorney general and maybe even get specific approval from parliament ie the upper house in particular as I dont think one side of parliament has had a majority in the upper house since the early 70's. Might have been in 93-97 years after the State Bank election when Labor were smashed, but I reckon the Libs only had 11 of the 22 seats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SMA = Greed
IIRC Ambassador Wrinkles was opposed to the selling of the naming rights for Football Park to AAAMI.

He is extremely naive if he thinks that allowing the SMA to pocket money from the sale of naming rights to AO is going to reduce the amount by which they rip off patrons attending AFL matches at AO. The argument for building the AO hotel was originally that the revenue would go to the upkeep of AO but under scrutiny by a parliamentary committee is was revealed that the money is going to prop up the SNAFL and SACA.

"Adelaide Oval management has been accused of misleading the public over where profits from the Adelaide Oval Hotel will flow, after it was revealed both the SACA and SANFL would end up with the bulk of earnings. .... 'I’ve understood all along that the benefit of the hotel was to go to the upgrade, upkeep when things are going poorly, but, what you’ve told me today is that the profits will go to football and cricket.' - Labor MLC Ian Hunter ..."

Their greed knows no bounds.

I wonder if this would preclude it being called something like "Telstra Adelaide Oval" for example.
Telstra Plaza, Adelaide Oval

Noticed I just got a like for my post about Atlanta Falcons / Atlanta United / Mercedes- Benz Stadium I put up a couple of pages back at post #7,878 last weekend. I read Cornes' article in yesterday's Tsier and couldn't help think that he read this thread and/or the ESPN article I quoted and watched the video I posted.

He says a 16% increase in revenue last year but its actually the difference between 2017 and 2016 NFL seasons after they reduced prices by 50%. I originally quoted the article on page 269 on 31st January 2018. Nice try Graham. He does directly quote one line from CEO of the group that runs the 3 organizations, Steve Cannon, from August 2018 not the January 2018 article. He says he is reluctant to criticize the SMA - probably because he gets plenty of freebies from them - ie SANFL as a life member and sits in their box in the level 3 southern stand most games but says;

Australian football models much of its operations on American sport. Accordingly, the SMA would do well to examine the operations of some of the big stadiums in the USA. For instance, at the Mercedes Benz Stadium, home of the NFL team, the Atlanta Falcons, prices have been lowered on popular concession prices for the second successive year.

A year ago, the stadium dropped its prices on some items by a staggering 50 per cent.

This season they dropped the prices on five of its top-selling items by a further 11 per cent. Like Adelaide Oval, the Mercedes Benz Stadium has converted to a cashless, card-only venue, but its increased efficiencies and reduced prices has been a huge hit with the fans. Spending inside the stadium increased and the fan experience at the stadium, in a city with a population of half a million people, was again rated as number one of all the NFL franchises. The prices of some of the popular items inside the Mercedes Benz Stadium will make the average South Australian footy fan green with envy.

A hot dog, the American cultural equivalent our Aussie meat pie, costs (prices in US$) $1.50, chips and salsa $2.50. A burger costs $7.50, pretzel bites $4.50, a bucket of popcorn $2 and an ice cream $4.50. A beer costs $5.00. The CEO of the group that operates the stadium, Steve Cannon, said: “We’ve listened to our fans from the beginning and these new prices are a result of that feedback.” Despite the drop in prices, the average spend per fan increased by 16 per cent.

The beer prices are interesting. The buying power of the SMA is significantly better than the average hotelier can negotiate. So why are beer prices inside Adelaide Oval significantly higher? And don’t start me on the price of water at the Oval. The prices that are charged for a bottle of water are scandalous. There is another underlying theme in the American example, however.Atlanta’s home is called the Mercedes Benz Stadium. Would the South Australian public tolerate the SMA selling naming rights to the Oval if it meant reduced prices? .............

Last edited:
Further proof Wrinkles is a dullard. The Greater metro area of Atlanta has a population of over 6 million. Quoting downtown Atlanta's population is disingenuous, especially if comparing to an Australian context.
I don't think he quoted their population, just compared stadium food and beverage prices.

One caller to AA yesterday asked Gra Gra what the benefit was to the game day attendees when Footy Park was renamed AAMI Stadium. Food prices continued to go up.

Gra Gra replied that the stadium surface was the best in Australia. That didn't pay for Itself.

Of course the reality is more likely that the $anfl executives salaries increased.

Gra Gra said he received an email from a listener bringing his attention to the situation at MB Stadium. My immediate thought was someone sent him a link to RussellEbertHandball work.

One caller to AA yesterday asked Gra Gra what the benefit was to the game day attendees when Footy Park was renamed AAMI Stadium. Food prices continued to go up.

Gra Gra replied that the stadium surface was the best in Australia. That didn't pay for Itself.

Of course the reality is more likely that the $anfl executives salaries increased.

Gra Gra said he received an email from a listener bringing his attention to the situation at MB Stadium. My immediate thought was someone sent him a link to RussellEbertHandball work.

I do like the term Gra Gra....

Last edited:
The only way both AFL clubs will get better oval deals if the SMA is re governed and all current people on the board are removed.
Until that happens nothing will ever change and prices will slowly keep going up and up!!!.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back