Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Never seen it before and I've been drinking piss out the back of AO Test match for 25 years. Also why would the AO have a special license? Also, if it was a day/night test would this 5pm rule exist?

Even with big brother breathing down our neck the last special license that I was involved with here changed from max 4 per person to 2 at 10pm for the last hour of trade only. The license conditions may have changed when the SMA took control. Would be worth having a look at. Quite possibly just a lazy way of implementing RSA.

AO hotel plans have been released. See

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/mess...s/news-story/9f5cf2a54e7e0f459970d15b0f2f7be3
On Monday The Advertiser reported on claims by the Adelaide Park Lands Preservation Association that site plans for a boutique hotel wrapping around the Oval’s eastern grandstand — approved by the state’s planning authority — were being blocked from public view. Association president Shane Sody said one of the organisation’s members asked the State Commission Assessment Panel for the plans and was told they were “not for public notice”. The State Planning Commission has now released the plans that were approved by SCAP.
Detailed in the plans for the 128-room hotel, backed by a $42 million loan by the State Government, include the removal of the existing stair mesh and outriggers on the eastern grandstand to allow the hotel to attach on to the structure. The plans say they will be salvaged for later reuse. The plans also reveal that no additional parking will be required for the hotel.

The Stadium Management Authority is now searching for a builder to construct the hotel in time for the 2020 Twenty20 World Cup following the SCAP approval.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/mess...s/news-story/9f5cf2a54e7e0f459970d15b0f2f7be3

No additional parking for a 128 room hotel? That seems short-sighted.
There is parking under the eastern stand. The hotel patrons will get them. 6 days a week they aren't needed by footy people. Players and officials will probably be the ones that have to park somewhere else - northern car park. They wont give up the slots for the corporate boxes and Stadium Club members.

Let's hire a hotel room on matchdays and hold the GDV in there.
You get the booze past security, because i wont be paying SMA Hotel booze rates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No more stairs on the east will be interesting.
tumblr_onql8buBPo1vnknlxo3_500.gif

The artists impression of the hotel looks nice, but it should not be built at the oval, with taxpayers money.... unless we as taxpayers get free or heavily discounted (60% off min) rates.

Surely though that given the president of the Liberal Party in SA, and the Deputy Chairman of the SMA (who want to build the hotel) are the same guy, surely there is some form of illegal conflict of interest here since it is public money being used?

The artists impression of the hotel looks nice, but it should not be built at the oval, with taxpayers money.... unless we as taxpayers get free or heavily discounted (60% off min) rates.

Surely though that given the president of the Liberal Party in SA, and the Deputy Chairman of the SMA (who want to build the hotel) are the same guy, surely there is some form of illegal conflict of interest here since it is public money being used?
The SMA minibar prices will help to once again make it an intimidating venue for the visiting teams who stay there.

The SMA minibar prices will help to once again make it an intimidating venue for the visiting teams who stay there.

Maybe the SMA are planning a secret mission with the SA clubs... host the AFL teams in the hotel the night before the match, and make sure in each of the rooms super loud annoying music is played so the players can't sleep?

But still, * the SMA and them using my money to rip me off even more.

Not sure where the 'done deal' came from but the ACC have lodged an objection to the SMA's hotel proposal. There is a Parliamentary Inquiry into the Oval Hilton and the Adelaide City Council has objected on the grounds of the number of beds currently under construction in the CBD and the fact that the SMA does not pay Council rates which gives it an unfair advantage of other businesses. The ACC has also taken a dead set swipe at the SMA accusing them of being secretive and not open to discussion. A war of words has erupted between the Council and the SMA- how sweet it is.

Not sure where the 'done deal' came from but the ACC have lodged an objection to the SMA's hotel proposal. .......
22nd December approved. https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...l/news-story/f046f11add49b1028574bb247d456a02

Adelaide Oval operators are hunting for builders for a 128-room boutique hotel wrapping around the eastern grandstand after it received planning approval on Friday, in a process opponents branded secretive and rushed.
The State Commission Assessment Panel approval came just nine days after plans were lodged on December 12, which was a day after the Adelaide City Council unanimously voted to oppose the project.

Funded and approved by the state, of which the elected Liberal president also works for the SMA.

I can't see the conflict of interest here at all. The state commission was never going to knock it back as it would cause political backlash.

There’s just no point to it.

It’s not like Adelaide is this sprawling metropolis where you can sell the proximity to AO as a feature. So all the SMA would be doing is stealing customers away from other hotels in the area.

It’s the sort of diversification bullshit that has tanked the economy worldwide. “Hey, this guy is doing X, charging Y and making Z! If we add X to our portfolio and charge W instead of Y, we can make Z too!”

But what happens is that the customers of the first guy are now split between him and the second company - so neither is making as much money as they should be.

Funded and approved by the state, of which the elected Liberal president also works for the SMA.

I can't see the conflict of interest here at all. The state commission was never going to knock it back as it would cause political backlash.

Not bad for a state which apparently meant to be broke

There’s just no point to it.

It’s not like Adelaide is this sprawling metropolis where you can sell the proximity to AO as a feature. So all the SMA would be doing is stealing customers away from other hotels in the area.

It’s the sort of diversification bullshit that has tanked the economy worldwide. “Hey, this guy is doing X, charging Y and making Z! If we add X to our portfolio and charge W instead of Y, we can make Z too!”

But what happens is that the customers of the first guy are now split between him and the second company - so neither is making as much money as they should be.

This is what gets me, I don't get the point of it. If there was a clear business case and how it would return money to the state budget and local businesses, i'd be more supportive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back