Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't the Magarey Room pretty much a defacto "Shed" anyrate? Reckon there is a lot of nostalgic romance around the Shed for Crows people. The reason it worked at Footy Park was that there was literally nowhere else to go, and it gave them something to do instead of sitting in traffic for an hour. Both these things aren't particularly factors at AO.
Whilst that is true it was cheaper than Footy Park food and beverage and it was branded in their colours and set up for them. The Magarey Room is pretty sterile for Port post games whereas the GDV had a good vibe, music, saw lots of people you knew there, oppo supporters came in and had a good time. It had a lot more of that post game at Alberton than the sterile Magarey Room. Plus unlike Alberton you didn't have to drive there and worry about drinking and driving and if it was a day or twilight game kill an hour or two there and head off to town.

Last edited:

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Doesn't the Magarey Room pretty much a defacto "Shed" anyrate? Reckon there is a lot of nostalgic romance around the Shed for Crows people. The reason it worked at Footy Park was that there was literally nowhere else to go, and it gave them something to do instead of sitting in traffic for an hour. Both these things aren't particularly factors at AO.

I'll be having a nice lunch in the shed tomoz for the Advertiser AFL launch, free ticket and free food, not to mention a cheeky Red or two, I'll see if it reminds me of walking back to the car in the cold air past pine trees.....

I really hope the club takes this further, but I don't think it will happen. It will be like the SPP thing where we came out with big talk only to backpedal a few days later.

lol, what a weak-minded dickhead Daniels is.

Was he even in the role when we started the GDV?
Yep. Remember talking to him the first Shield match in October 2013 in the Riverbank stand. Was pretty easy to talk to and explained a lot of the facilities finished and ones to come when the eastern stand was finished.

5.5 years on and the pressure has got to him. The SMA are struggling to meet all their targets and feed all the snouts in the trough. The sinking fund was a great control Conlan, Rann, Foley and co put on the SANFL and SACA after giving them a half billion dollar free kick. The SMA are struggling to keep up. If they got off their arse and found more events they would not be in such s**t.

Any new latest and greatest expensive stadium this decade, world wide, needs about 60 event days to make it work profit wise and keep it up to date unless there is a big government subsidy eg most of Stadium Queensland venues.

May 8, 2014
Adelaide Airport
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics, QPR
Gotta wonder, who the hell would stay at a hotel at Adelaide Oval?

There’s already like ten hotels just across the river on North Terrace alone. Not to mention all the new ones that’ve popped up at the Airport, Glenelg etc.

On top of charging us $9.80 for beer, they cry poor and want taxpayer funds to build it.

One politician who’s called out the SMA for all this s**t on Twitter: Stephen Mullighan, state member for Lee. Keep fighting the good fight!

ill post this here, as it's sort of related. lol what this fails to explain is how temporary their revenue streams are (i.e footy park, AFL club licence payments), how the clubs have no money and how most of their so called good news is down to creative accounting.

Did lol at the Port Power RED INK swipe and the tag on the end about the clubs being "better off" at AO with their returns.

Olsen just pushing the SMAs barrow. a 50% interest in the SMA, ******* hell. We've got a bullshit amatuer league in control of 50% of the states biggest sporting asset. So broken.

--------
The SANFL on Tuesday night reported an on-budget cash profit of $689,911 — down on the 2017 figure of $810,765 as gaming revenue at the redeveloped and empty Football Park fell again.

The SANFL also delivered $4.3 million to its eight traditional clubs in a strong financial performance last year.
But the most-significant figures in the SANFL annual report presented to the league directors on Tuesday night was the confirmation of the SA Football Commission’s determined campaign against debt.

Once as high as $40 million — as the SANFL covered the red ink on the Port Adelaide AFL licence in 2010 — the league’s debt in the past year has fallen from $14.5 million to $7.3m. This is the league’s lowest debt count since 1999.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/d001f91c0c73422b9f754784be36ac4c

kikass

Debutant
Oct 5, 2014
On the couch
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So in basically 5 years of moving to the AO, the SANFL will manage to be without any debt and raking in profits in excess of $8m. No wonders they are moving into running hotels and maintaining their bistro in the swamp.

The deals is broken as it has been from the start but even more so is the continual escalation of costs to the average punter. What will we be finding in the years to come, hotels, pubs, public transport systems, suburban stadium upgrades.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MilitaryLC

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2018
On a dirt track.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Who gives a s**t. Go into the ground. Watch your team play footy. If you dont enjoy it dont go. Too much complaining going on. No one forces alcohol down your throat. Its voluntary. FFS you cun*s whinge louder than my grandsons.

MilitaryLC

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2018
On a dirt track.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
I'm just sick and tired of politics. Just want to watch footy in my seats without my brain burning. You lot whinge like I've never seen in my entire life.

Aug 16, 2009
Dubai
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester United Portland Timbers
I'm just sick and tired of politics. Just want to watch footy in my seats without my brain burning. You lot whinge like I've never seen in my entire life.

So don’t read the board if you don’t like it......

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Once as high as $40 million — as the SANFL covered the red ink on the Port Adelaide AFL licence in 2010 — the league’s debt in the past year has fallen from $14.5 million to $7.3m. This is the league’s lowest debt count since 1999.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/d001f91c0c73422b9f754784be36ac4c

Also from the article is this:
The Oval also is delivering 73 cents in every dollar spent during football events to the Crows and Power — more than promised.

Which doesn’t marry up with this:

https://twitter.com/smullighan/status/1105269327001862144?s=12

Port pays all operating costs of stadium on game day, SMA keeps catering revenues

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am working my way through the 103 page Game day Village thread to get down all the media articles. I so far have found 3 articles where Rucci uses the phrase SMA objection(s). Here is one from 22nd February 2016. I will fire off on AA tomorrow if they repeat the crap Cornes spoke after 5.30 segment today.

https://outline.com/NFZdaN

The “Game Day Village” — which rates at No. 4 when Power fans are asked to rank their favourite features of the match-day presentation — is caught in a battle for a permanent liquor licence that is critical to its function at the Oval’s southern edge.

The Oval’s Stadium Management Authority has presented its points of objection.
How about a Letter to the Editor. Then it is in print.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We all want to watch footy and see our team win, but at the same time we want to see our club survive, even prosper and so are sick of the underhandedness toward our club in this state. Organisations like the SMA seem to want to destroy the hand that feeds them.
Probably best you stick to other threads.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Daniels is quoted in today's Monopoly Times. He must think we are all idiots.

Where did that 'responsible service of alcohol statement' come in? I can recall the SMA objecting to the GDV on the grounds that it was encouraging drunks because we were serving beer at $5 a can while inside the ground they were charging $8.50 for beer in a plastic cup.

If it is as Daniels says and the SMA has no objection to a GDV then why not give the PAFC some support in re establishing it?

If I were KT I would release a statement thanking Mr Daniels for his support and put an immediate submission to the SMA requesting their support in re establishing the GDV. Daniels can't have it both ways so why not use his comments to turn the situation around?

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Gotta wonder, who the hell would stay at a hotel at Adelaide Oval?

There’s already like ten hotels just across the river on North Terrace alone. Not to mention all the new ones that’ve popped up at the Airport, Glenelg etc.

On top of charging us $9.80 for beer, they cry poor and want taxpayer funds to build it.

One politician who’s called out the SMA for all this s**t on Twitter: Stephen Mullighan, state member for Lee. Keep fighting the good fight!

People who:

want to be next to the footy or cricket
want to go to events/work/medical attention in north adelaide
want to go the the festival/fringe/car race/womad/tour down under

It's a business. Where there is money and profits involved there is always politics.
Also, if it wasn't for this style of politics, you wouldn't be watching Port in the AFL.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hopefully this doesn’t end in the usual weak willed ‘we’ll talk behind closed doors’, that leads no where the club has done in the past with the SANFL / SMA. When the club has a jaded fan base, that they then shat on with Co-captains, here’s a chance to get a fan base that thrives on ‘them versus us’ angry and enthused and wanting to support a fight. When we are down on Memberships starting a war is a good way to get buy in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back