Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

If Geelong was where Richmond is or even in the burbs where Essendon is based, they would not have got a Kardinia Park type stadium funded this way.

Its a regional town investment by the governments of both political parties over 16 or 17 years over 5 stages. Alberton could be a 1 vote margin marginal seat at both state and federal elections for a dozen elections, and we would never get it upgraded to 40k capacity like Geelong because of location. But sure we would get some decent $$ for multiple upgrades if that was the case.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Geelong at Pork Barrelling Stadium and Hawthorn with their filthy pokie money are great examples of why the AFL should revenue share more than they do. Contrast Geelong getting a regularly upgraded stadium on a silver platter with the absolute horseshit stadium deals we've had to put up with during our time in the AFL.

The NFL is the gold standard of revenue sharing and we should be looking to emulate them. The AFL has got it ass-backwards with haves and have-nots. There shouldn't be any weak clubs in such a rich league.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's hard for me to provide much of an opinion because I was about 10 years old (maybe 9) when the Northern stand at Footy Park was built. As a young kid I just remember thinking Footy Park was so far out of the way (at the time i lived in Glenunga), and if you got a sh*t car park you were waiting an eternity to get out of there.

I agree that Docklands was revolutionary for footy at the time. I remember the hoopla about it when it first opened, the novelty of having such a big stadium with a roof on it. Then I went there for the first time in 2003 when Tredrea kicked 7 against Essendon. Even as a 20 year old stadium now the sight lines for the most part are as good as any footy stadium in Australia. It was very much the first stadium in Australia to truly capitalise on the corporate dollar.

You compare it to Footy Park though and it was no contest. But I would also suggest that Adelaide at the time was largely a backwater 20+ years behind the Eastern seaboard capital cities. In the 90s we couldnt care less where we played, the state was just rapt to have 2 clubs playing in the AFL. The Northern stand and the blue seats, it really was like putting lip stick on a pig in the end. You're completely right in saying Colonial Stadium would have opened up SA's eyes to the possibilities of what a footy stadium can be about.

What is interesting from here though, is that the redevelopment of Adelaide Oval saw our footy stadium essentially go from worst in the AFL to arguably the best experience for both fan and player in Australia. It was quite weird but equally satisfying to see Adelaide become a stadium benchmark - and since then we've seen Optus Stadium try to match it.

I think for the foreseeable future Adelaide Oval won't see any structural changes but I can certainly see them making easier fan experiences such as ordering drinks and food from your seat, delivered to your seat via an app.

Structurally I can see the members stand being redeveloped because it looks semi out of place with the eastern and southern stands. Do you think as the population increases (and thus so does demand), that they could find a way to keep the hill but also have a grandstand above it?

The trees at the Northern end are on the way out I’ve heard (from inside the management).

Got a twitter notification that Kochie retweeted The_Wookie's tweet re the SMA. Next review is after 2022 season.

1636248976485.png

he retweeted the one before that too.

Yeah uncharacteristically blunt and welcome shot across the bows from Kochie retweeting that.

I mean Victoria has its endemic electoral pork barrelling-go-round for sports funding. From a distance it seems everyone over there gets to "dip their beak" at some almost regular interval.

But SA, specifically the old boys club riding over Adelaide sports, has this surely-that's-a-conflict-of-interest, borderline corrupt setup where local "mobs" extract as much rent as they can from the good people and entities who actually do the bloody hard work of sport. Maybe compared to the freewheeling everything goes sporteconomy of Melbourne its got to do with being a smaller city with fewer choices of service provider for commodity X or of venue for activity Y. So in MEL you go to the "marketplace" so to speak and seek out someone who will give you funding for a timely bit of electoral PR but in ADL if you want something you get bent over because fewer choices. I don't know, leave it to some future Nobel prize wannabe to figure out a General Theory of Corruption :drunk:

Different systems of screwed up and both should be called out.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah uncharacteristically blunt and welcome shot across the bows from Kochie retweeting that.

I mean Victoria has its endemic electoral pork barrelling-go-round for sports funding. From a distance it seems everyone over there gets to "dip their beak" at some almost regular interval.

But SA, specifically the old boys club riding over Adelaide sports, has this surely-that's-a-conflict-of-interest, borderline corrupt setup where local "mobs" extract as much rent as they can from the good people and entities who actually do the bloody hard work of sport. Maybe compared to the freewheeling everything goes sporteconomy of Melbourne its got to do with being a smaller city with fewer choices of service provider for commodity X or of venue for activity Y. So in MEL you go to the "marketplace" so to speak and seek out someone who will give you funding for a timely bit of electoral PR but in ADL if you want something you get bent over because fewer choices. I don't know, leave it to some future Nobel prize wannabe to figure out a General Theory of Corruption :drunk:

Different systems of screwed up and both should be called out.

The Victorian Government effectively dictates what the AFL does by giving it and its clubs huge funding carrots. Sure the AFL makes its own dough, but the sporting infrastructure the Vic Government provides is all very collusive. I mean look no further than the commercially horrid and unfair MCG Contract. It is a shitfully bad deal in every sense to those who don't believein corruption, but the Vic govt and the AFL give each other a little wink, touch if the nose and a hand shandy because it all feeds into "the footy industry".
The Vic public by and large aporove as the AFL is their opiate, they believe it to be theirs any rate, the Vic clubs continue to get a leg up whilst we continue to struggle on with not only those across the border ******* us over, but the arseholes unjustly bestowed with the keys here with their hands in the till.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Got a twitter notification that Kochie retweeted The_Wookie's tweet re the SMA. Next review is after 2022 season.

View attachment 1275684

Interesting Daniels resigned too, but he's done his job. He was good to work with but even he would of been at the mercy of Whicker, Olsen and co.

At least he signed off on the Adelaide Oval logo (logotype) without the amateur behavior that preceded the original logo presented, which I have a 3d version right here next to me, I still prefer it.

I can't see how anything changes unless the gov steps in with the AFL and makes it happen.

he retweeted the one before that too.

Last weekend I went looking at the auditor general's site, as they have to publish their annual report and audit of all entities by 31st October, for his 6 monthly Adelaide Oval redevelopment report to 30 June 2021,( plus the AOSMA's 31st Oct 2020 accounts, but they weren't available yet), as he decided that even though his initial brief was to do 6 monthly reports to from 1 December 2011 to the end of 1 December 2019 when the $535mil had to be spent - which it was, all bar $49k, he concluded that the $42mil loan was under the scope of section 9 and 10 of the act and it meant he had to continue the 6 monthly reports.

I also went back to the Parliament Select Committee - Redevelopment of Adelaide Oval - website and downloaded their interim report from December 2019 and skim read that but also downloaded and read the transcript of the AFL submission in mid 2019. I am going to read the transcripts of other evidence, as I only skim read the SMA/SANFL one in 2019 and discovered the AOSMA upped the $2.00/attendee at AFL games to the clubs, increased to $2.40 after the 2017 review.

You can find all these Select Committee documents at the following link. If you want submission documents, which have a lot of the AOSMA numbers, you click on the submissions link

From the February 2021 report covering 6 months to 31 December 2020, page 6 has this paragraph and graphic which shows what you wrote nice and clearly.

The hotel development and operations are being managed by a separate trust company, the
Adelaide Oval Hotel Pty Ltd (AOHT), under a sub‐sublease and licence agreement with
AOSMA. AOHT is a jointly controlled entity of the South Australian National Football League
(SANFL) and the South Australian Cricket Association (SACA).

1636262534856.png

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting Daniels resigned too, but he's done his job. He was good to work with but even he would of been at the mercy of Whicker, Olsen and co.

At least he signed off on the Adelaide Oval logo (logotype) without the amateur behavior that preceded the original logo presented, which I have a 3d version right here next to me, I still prefer it.

I can't see how anything changes unless the gov steps in with the AFL and makes it happen.

We can thank the SACA boss at the time of the development that Andrews got the job. Whicker was absolutely desperate to get the job, like believed it was his devine right, but the SACA boss fought very hard for the CEO not be from either the SANFL or the SACA so it could not be seen as one entity over riding the other.

The auditor general's 31st October annual report has the audit report and financial statements for all entities bar one, the AOSMA, for the year ended 30th June that year. Because the AOSMA has a 31st October financial year - in line with the AFL/SANFL/2 AFL clubs and reflective of the hand over to cricket on 8th October, the AOSMA's financial statements are always 12 months behind the other entities.

I wrote to the AG department 7 or 8 years ago, questioning why, and they said that they had initially planned for a special report for the AOSMA outside their annual report, but they changed their mind and kept it within the annual report for consistency purposes (???) and it meant it the AOSMA's financial statements were 12 months ( ok 8 months) behind the other entities they audited.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Last weekend I went looking at the auditor general's site, as they have to publish their annual report and audit of all entities by 31st October, for his 6 monthly Adelaide Oval redevelopment report to 30 June 2021,( plus the AOSMA's 31st Oct 2020 accounts, but they weren't available yet), as he decided that even though his initial brief was to do 6 monthly reports to from 1 December 2011 to the end of 1 December 2019 when the $535mil had to be spent - which it was, all bar $49k, he concluded that the $42mil loan was under the scope of section 9 and 10 of the act and it meant he had to continue the 6 monthly reports.

I also went back to the Parliament Select Committee - Redevelopment of Adelaide Oval - website and downloaded their interim report from December 2019 and skim read that but also downloaded and read the transcript of the AFL submission in mid 2019. I am going to read the transcripts of other evidence, as I only skim read the SMA/SANFL one in 2019 and discovered the AOSMA upped the $2.0/attend at AFL games to the clubs increased to $2.40 after the 2017 review.

You can find all these Select Committee documents at the following link. If you want submission documents, which have a lot of the AOSMA numbers, you click on the submissions link

From the February 2021 report covering 6 months to 31 December 2020, page 6 has this paragraph and graphic which shows what you wrote nice and clearly.

The hotel development and operations are being managed by a separate trust company, the
Adelaide Oval Hotel Pty Ltd (AOHT), under a sub‐sublease and licence agreement with
AOSMA. AOHT is a jointly controlled entity of the South Australian National Football League
(SANFL) and the South Australian Cricket Association (SACA).

View attachment 1275818

I got it from Report of the Auditor-General - Annual report for the year ended 30 June 2021 Part C: Agency audit reports . Pages 10-17 concern AOSMA.

Leasing and licensing arrangements

AOSMA subleases the Adelaide Oval Core Area, which includes the stadium, from the SA Government. The rent payable by AOSMA to the SA Government over the 80‐year term of the lease is expected to be $74.3 million before indexation. AOSMA is required to pay the annual sublease fee by 31 July each year. The land situated in the Adelaide Oval Core Area is leased by the SA Government from the Adelaide City Council for an equal term at $1 per annum. AOSMA has licensed the SANFL the exclusive right to play football at the oval during the football season from 15 March to 7 October for a term of 20 years, with a right of renewal for three further 20‐year terms. The licence enables the SANFL to enter into arrangements with the AFL and football clubs for the use of the oval. Likewise, AOSMA has licensed SACA the exclusive right to play cricket at the oval during the cricket season from 8 October to 14 March for a term of 80 years. The licence enables SACA to enter into arrangements with CA for the use of the oval. The licences preserve AOSMA’s right to hold ad hoc events, such as concerts, at the oval at any time provided sufficient notice is given to the SANFL and SACA.

The Adelaide City Council has also licensed the SA Government to use the area closely surrounding the stadium for a 20‐year term for no fee, with a right of renewal for three further 20‐year terms. The SA Government has sublicensed the use of this area to the SANFL, SACA and AOSMA for an equivalent term for a fee of $10 each per annum.

Adelaide Oval Hotel

On 30 June 2019 the Minister consented to AOSMA undertaking a hotel development at the Adelaide Oval. Work offsite commenced in July 2019, with construction onsite commencing in October 2019. The hotel opened for operations on 25 September 2020.

The Adelaide Oval Hotel is managed by the trustee of the AOHT under a sub‐sublease and licence agreement with AOSMA. AOHT is a jointly controlled entity of the SANFL and SACA. AOHT pays AOSMA an annual lease fee of $600 000 (indexed).

As required by the accounting standards, amounts owing under this arrangement are recognised in the Statement of Financial Position as finance lease receivables and measured at the present value of outstanding lease payments.

At 31 October 2020 these finance lease receivables were valued at $14.2 million. This lease receivables asset will reduce as lease payments are received. To finance the hotel build, AOSMA entered a facility agreement with the Treasurer on 7 August 2019 for $42.6 million, with AOSMA on‐lending these funds to AOHT. As at 31 October 2020 AOSMA had fully drawn down on the loan from the Treasurer, with all funds on‐lent to AOHT.

AOSMA is contracted under an operations and services agreement to provide services to AOHT, as required, to operate the hotel. This agreement provides that AOHT will pay AOSMA the cost, as determined by AOSMA, of providing these services without mark up.

AOSMA made a $3 million contribution to AOHT for the acquisition of Adelaide Oval Hotel fittings, furniture and equipment.

Commercial Operations Trust

The trustee for the COT is a jointly controlled entity of the SANFL and SACA established in 2015‐16 and appointed to operate the Adelaide Oval roof climb in the Adelaide Oval Core Area. AOSMA licensed COT to operate the roof climb from 1 July 2016 to 16 November 2031.

The issuing of the licence was approved by the Minister. AOSMA also entered into a service agreement with COT which enables AOSMA to manage the roof climb business on behalf of COT.

The associated licence and management fees outlined in the agreements are recognised as revenue in AOSMA’s financial report. Net ticket sales for the roof climb that were administered by AOSMA as agent for COT for the year totalled $687 000. This amount is not recognised in AOSMA’s financial report.

In addition to the Adelaide Oval roof climb, COT is responsible for operating the bar and café at the Adelaide Festival Centre and, since 1 November 2018, the catering services at Monarto Zoo. AOSMA was previously responsible for these catering services. AOSMA is contracted under an operations and services agreement to provide management and staff services to COT to operate the roof climb and other offsite food and beverage operations.

One more thing, the 2020 SMA accounts became available a couple of days later as part of the AG's 2021 Annual report and is under 2021 publications section and it showed/confirmed as per the diagram I posted above, the SA government loaned $42m to the AOSMA Ltd to onloaned that to the Adelaide Oval Hotel Trust.

As complicated and confusing as this sounds, setting it up this way, makes a sale of the hotel operations to a hotel chain down the track, less messy if a break up of the SMA from being involved in the running of the hotel is ever made.

This is from note 1 of the Financial Statements

Adelaide Oval Hotel
Consent for construction of a hotel within the Adelaide Oval Core Area was granted by the Minister for
Transport, Infrastructure and Local Government/ Minister for Planning (the Minister) on 30 June
2019. Consent was also given by the Minister for AOSMA to grant a sub-sublease to the Trustee for the Adelaide Oval Hotel Trust (AOHT), an entity which has SACA and SANFL as its beneficiaries.
The hotel wraps around the external facade of the eastern stand and is comprised of 138 rooms. Construction
began on site in October 2019, with commencement of hotel operations on 25th September 2020.

AOSMA has granted a sub-sublease of the Hotel Area to AOHT for the operation of a hotel, for a period expiring 15 November 2091.
This term mirrors that of the AOSMA Sublease.

AOHT will pay an annual rental to AOSMA. AOSMA granted a licence to AOHT to enter the land during the construction and fit-out period to carry out the construction and fit-out works and to prepare the Hotel Area for trade. AOHT has contracted AOSMA to run the hotel operations.

The Treasurer of South Australia granted a loan of $42.6m to AOSMA to fund the construction of the hotel
including consultancies. As COVID-19 relief, on 31 March the Treasurer deferred the payment of interest on
the loan for the period of construction. Deferred interest will be capitalised over the life of the loan.

A back to back loan has been established between AOSMA and AOHT, under the same terms and conditions as the loan between AOSMA and the Treasurer. Through this arrangement AOHT will ultimately fund the construction of the hotel. As at 31 October 2020 funds have been fully drawn down, with the first loan repayment occurring in December 2020. The loan is repayable over a ten year term.

AOSMA made a $3m contribution to its stakeholders, with the funds utilised to purchase fixtures, furniture and
equipment for the Hotel. This contribution is not repayable by AOHT or the stakeholders to AOSMA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got it from Report of the Auditor-General - Annual report for the year ended 30 June 2021 Part C: Agency audit reports . Pages 10-17 concern AOSMA.

Leasing and licensing arrangements

AOSMA subleases the Adelaide Oval Core Area, which includes the stadium, from the SA Government. The rent payable by AOSMA to the SA Government over the 80‐year term of the lease is expected to be $74.3 million before indexation. AOSMA is required to pay the annual sublease fee by 31 July each year. The land situated in the Adelaide Oval Core Area is leased by the SA Government from the Adelaide City Council for an equal term at $1 per annum. AOSMA has licensed the SANFL the exclusive right to play football at the oval during the football season from 15 March to 7 October for a term of 20 years, with a right of renewal for three further 20‐year terms. The licence enables the SANFL to enter into arrangements with the AFL and football clubs for the use of the oval. Likewise, AOSMA has licensed SACA the exclusive right to play cricket at the oval during the cricket season from 8 October to 14 March for a term of 80 years. The licence enables SACA to enter into arrangements with CA for the use of the oval. The licences preserve AOSMA’s right to hold ad hoc events, such as concerts, at the oval at any time provided sufficient notice is given to the SANFL and SACA.

The Adelaide City Council has also licensed the SA Government to use the area closely surrounding the stadium for a 20‐year term for no fee, with a right of renewal for three further 20‐year terms. The SA Government has sublicensed the use of this area to the SANFL, SACA and AOSMA for an equivalent term for a fee of $10 each per annum.

Adelaide Oval Hotel

On 30 June 2019 the Minister consented to AOSMA undertaking a hotel development at the Adelaide Oval. Work offsite commenced in July 2019, with construction onsite commencing in October 2019. The hotel opened for operations on 25 September 2020.

The Adelaide Oval Hotel is managed by the trustee of the AOHT under a sub‐sublease and licence agreement with AOSMA. AOHT is a jointly controlled entity of the SANFL and SACA. AOHT pays AOSMA an annual lease fee of $600 000 (indexed).

As required by the accounting standards, amounts owing under this arrangement are recognised in the Statement of Financial Position as finance lease receivables and measured at the present value of outstanding lease payments.

At 31 October 2020 these finance lease receivables were valued at $14.2 million. This lease receivables asset will reduce as lease payments are received. To finance the hotel build, AOSMA entered a facility agreement with the Treasurer on 7 August 2019 for $42.6 million, with AOSMA on‐lending these funds to AOHT. As at 31 October 2020 AOSMA had fully drawn down on the loan from the Treasurer, with all funds on‐lent to AOHT.

AOSMA is contracted under an operations and services agreement to provide services to AOHT, as required, to operate the hotel. This agreement provides that AOHT will pay AOSMA the cost, as determined by AOSMA, of providing these services without mark up.

AOSMA made a $3 million contribution to AOHT for the acquisition of Adelaide Oval Hotel fittings, furniture and equipment.

Commercial Operations Trust

The trustee for the COT is a jointly controlled entity of the SANFL and SACA established in 2015‐16 and appointed to operate the Adelaide Oval roof climb in the Adelaide Oval Core Area. AOSMA licensed COT to operate the roof climb from 1 July 2016 to 16 November 2031.

The issuing of the licence was approved by the Minister. AOSMA also entered into a service agreement with COT which enables AOSMA to manage the roof climb business on behalf of COT.

The associated licence and management fees outlined in the agreements are recognised as revenue in AOSMA’s financial report. Net ticket sales for the roof climb that were administered by AOSMA as agent for COT for the year totalled $687 000. This amount is not recognised in AOSMA’s financial report.

In addition to the Adelaide Oval roof climb, COT is responsible for operating the bar and café at the Adelaide Festival Centre and, since 1 November 2018, the catering services at Monarto Zoo. AOSMA was previously responsible for these catering services. AOSMA is contracted under an operations and services agreement to provide management and staff services to COT to operate the roof climb and other offsite food and beverage operations.
Thanks for that. That first was included with the Financial statements back around 2012-14 years, and then for a few years it was a separate report to the financial statements, I saved them as AG comments. Will have to remember to check the consolidated report each year.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We can thank the SACA boss at the time of the development that Andrews got the job. Whicker was absolutely desperate to get the job, like believed it was his devine right, but the SACA boss fought very hard for the CEO not be from either the SANFL or the SACA so it could not be seen as one entity over riding the other.

I was lucky enough to work with Ian McLachlan with SACA work for the Sheffield Shield Room, we designed the whole space, the kinda guy you want to work for. Knew what he liked and didn’t like, and if he was in the middle he’d give it a tick. No stuffing around, great person and seems to see the bigger picture.

When I was in the room with Whicker and Olsen it felt dodgy as.

I still bet they pull strings in the background. Chandler doesn’t like Port either, now CEO of SANFL.

I saw first hand Whickers hatred of Bradman, they still have his letters from the 70’s, we will always struggle to make money at AO.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One more thing, the 2020 SMA accounts became available a couple of days later as part of the AG's 2021 Annual report and is under 2021 publications section and it showed/confirmed as per the diagram I posted above, the SA government loaned $42m to the AOSMA Ltd to onloaned that to the Adelaide Oval Hotel Trust.

As complicated and confusing as this sounds, setting it up this way, makes a sale of the hotel operations to a hotel chain down the track, less messy if a break up of the SMA from being involved in the running of the hotel is ever made.

This is from note 1 of the Financial Statements

Adelaide Oval Hotel
Consent for construction of a hotel within the Adelaide Oval Core Area was granted by the Minister for
Transport, Infrastructure and Local Government/ Minister for Planning (the Minister) on 30 June
2019. Consent was also given by the Minister for AOSMA to grant a sub-sublease to the Trustee for the Adelaide Oval Hotel Trust (AOHT), an entity which has SACA and SANFL as its beneficiaries.
The hotel wraps around the external facade of the eastern stand and is comprised of 138 rooms. Construction
began on site in October 2019, with commencement of hotel operations on 25th September 2020.

AOSMA has granted a sub-sublease of the Hotel Area to AOHT for the operation of a hotel, for a period expiring 15 November 2091.
This term mirrors that of the AOSMA Sublease.

AOHT will pay an annual rental to AOSMA. AOSMA granted a licence to AOHT to enter the land during the construction and fit-out period to carry out the construction and fit-out works and to prepare the Hotel Area for trade. AOHT has contracted AOSMA to run the hotel operations.

The Treasurer of South Australia granted a loan of $42.6m to AOSMA to fund the construction of the hotel
including consultancies. As COVID-19 relief, on 31 March the Treasurer deferred the payment of interest on
the loan for the period of construction. Deferred interest will be capitalised over the life of the loan.

A back to back loan has been established between AOSMA and AOHT, under the same terms and conditions as the loan between AOSMA and the Treasurer.
Through this arrangement AOHT will ultimately fund the construction of the hotel. As at 31 October 2020 funds have been fully drawn down, with the first loan repayment occurring in December 2020. The loan is repayable over a ten year term.

AOSMA made a $3m contribution to its stakeholders, with the funds utilised to purchase fixtures, furniture and
equipment for the Hotel. This contribution is not repayable by AOHT or the stakeholders to AOSMA.

I know the lady I met during some work who now manages the major hotel down Frome Rd, she bailed early on. With the Sofitel now open I wonder how it will fare. There was a big emphasis on business stuff more so than game day stuff, so if they get that right who knows. I can see it being sold one day.

They have their fingers in many pies - like running the food and Bev at Monarto zoo and many outlets across the Torrens.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know the lady I met during some work who now manages the major hotel down Frome Rd, she bailed early on. With the Sofitel now open I wonder how it will fare. There was a big emphasis on business stuff more so than game day stuff, so if they get that right who knows. I can see it being sold one day.

They have their fingers in many pies - like running the food and Bev at Monarto zoo and many outlets across the Torrens.
Sofitel has been on the cards for ages - it's not a major competitor to AOH. Tbh AOH is probably nicer anyway.

SkyCity's Eos (while also on the cards before AOH was developed) is the major competitor in most aspects: luxury, price, location, purpose.

Think this is appropriate in here, Vale Keith Bradshaw, CEO of the SACA after being the first non English CEO of the MCC.

The SACA have always had a good relationship with Port. Did a deal to play home games with them at AO in 1975-76. Past CEO John Harnden made sure that the SMA CEO was independent of both SACA and SANFL and not handed to Leigh Wicker. ex SACA president Ian Mclachlan went into bat for us first to get us to Adelaide Oval in the '00's when things were s**t at Footy Park, and then during the redevelopment negotiations and is a member of the Chairman's Club coterie group.

Keith Bradshaw I've been told has done a few good things with Port as well, during his tenure, as indicated in the short article on Port's website that says in one paragraph - Keith was an outstanding administrator, a great leader and visionary, and a friend of the Port Adelaide Football Club.

I have often thought about Big Bob McLean, ex state cricketer, ex secretary of the Port Adelaide Cricket Club the 6 months he wasn't working hard as secretary of the Port Adelaide Football Club and his relationship with the SACA and Bradman, and probably why in the late 60's he wasn't put on the SANFL's Management Committee to find a home ground for the SANFL. Big Bob was on just about every other major SANFL committee.

raptalia I have been meaning to bump the Big Bob Mclean gets inducted into the Australian Football HoF thread to ask you about Port's relationship with the SACA and Bradman, given you have written a few things over the years on the cricket board about Bradman and Fos Williams - and by connection assume Big Bob was also part of that relationship.

Last edited:
Well Bradman contributed a nice foreword to "100 Years With The Magpies" in 1970-71 (not sure of the exact publication year) just as the SANFL were about to choose a swamp of their own... suggests there were some links between Port and the SACA that ran against the general SANFL direction even back then

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well Bradman contributed a nice foreword to "100 Years With The Magpies" in 1970-71 (not sure of the exact publication year) just as the SANFL were about to choose a swamp of their own... suggests there were some links between Port and the SACA that ran against the general SANFL direction even back then

Pretty sure Ian McLachan is a Port supporter.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pretty sure Ian McLachan is a Port supporter.

I know a lot of us recognise the contribution of Mark Hayman for leading the charge of getting us to AO and rightly so. But much of the heavy lifting and push back against those campaigners at the SANFL especially Whicker, was done by Harden and McLachlan. Whilst they both were looking after the interests of the SACA first and foremost, both are Port supporters, and let's just say our interests were not ignored. Without those 2, things would have been a lot worse.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know a lot of us recognise the contribution of Mark Hayman for leading the charge of getting us to AO and rightly so. But much of the heavy lifting and push back against those campaigners at the SANFL especially Whicker, was done by Harden and McLachlan. Whilst they both were looking after the interests of the SACA first and foremost, both are Port supporters, and let's just say our interests were not ignored. Without those 2, things would have been a lot worse.
I've said many times, whilst I love the current AO, in an ideal world we would have moved to a minimally redeveloped AO (40-45k stadium), completely free of the SANFL and Adelaide left at Footy Park.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I've said many times, whilst I love the current AO, in an ideal world we would have moved to a minimally redeveloped AO (40-45k stadium), completely free of the SANFL and Adelaide left at Footy Park.

It was reported by the Tiser in an interview with Kevin Foley in 2014 that the AFL were looking to do something like that with Port Adelaide being removed from the SANFLs grasp and playing out of Adelaide Oval if the SANFL wouldnt co operate. I still think this would have been best for Port.

In a bombshell, Foley says the AFL would have shifted the Power to the city regardless of SANFL support to ensure the financially stricken club’s survival.

“Andrew Demetriou took the primary role in getting the SANFL to see sense,” recalled Foley.

“I remember meeting with Mike Fitzpatrick and Andrew a couple of times in Melbourne who revealed to me if the SANFL didn’t come on board they would move Port Adelaide to a semi-developed Adelaide Oval regardless.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back