Stadium dimensions - which stadium is the tallest?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
After visiting the majority of the major AFL grounds I am now intrigued as to the actual physical scale of each stadium.
What I mean by this is not the capacity of each ground but how tall,steep or 'set back' each ground is.

My basic observations/opinions do date:

MCG -
  • Tallest
  • Furthest set back of stands
  • Bottom tier very flat
Adelaide Oval -
  • Riverbank stand near the height of the MCG
  • Roof of Riverbank stand tallest piece of any stadium structure??
Perth Stadium-
  • Seems really tall for only 60K (must not be a hell of a lot lower than MCG, yet 40K difference in capacity).

Would love to hear th thoughts of others or some actual facts and figures on this.

I believe the reason why Perth Stadium has a low capacity for its height is because of two reasons.
1. Perth Stadium has some the widest seats of any AFL ground
2. The broadcast wing has many seats taken away for some reason (in the circle)
upload_2018-6-12_22-48-50.png

The rake of the seating, meaning the angle of the rise from the stadium floor is reputedly ( I cant find anything to support my understanding) great at Suncorp aka Lang Park in Brisbane.
I know the angle I refer to has been discussed at the Optus Stadium & Adelaide Oval.

Good luck with the project.

I believe the reason why Perth Stadium has a low capacity for its height is because of two reasons.
1. Perth Stadium has some the widest seats of any AFL ground
2. The broadcast wing has many seats taken away for some reason (in the circle)
View attachment 511373
Looking at that photo a couple of things come to mind
  1. The bottom and top decks are pretty shallow, do either go to double letters?
  2. The angle of the top deck doesn't look near as steep as the MCG or Etihad.

Looking at that photo a couple of things come to mind
  1. The bottom and top decks are pretty shallow, do either go to double letters?
  2. The angle of the top deck doesn't look near as steep as the MCG or Etihad.

1. Rows are in numbers not letters, top level has approx 22 rows, bottom around 24
2. Its def not as steep as etihad, and doesn't seem quite as steep as MCG either from memory but I've only sat up top at the MCG once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back