Stadium Redevelopments

Remove this Banner Ad

Long term it would make a lot more money for the club than the money we spend to build it. Plus it would take far more cash to make a new stadium, which really is a non goer anyway

I'm aware of that, but spend a bit more now and make it 70,000 now, not later on.

I'm aware of that, but spend a bit more now and make it 70,000 now, not later on.

To upgrade it pass 60k would require additional drawing of transport and railway plans and s**t like that I think, which would be an absolute mother******* hassle. I think we'll gradually get there anyway depending on how the club does the next few years, if we get loads of CL football then we will add more again. Can't put all our eggs in one basket now

Have to say I'm not a fan. I'm not a fan of ridged stadiums, ones where one stand looks higher than the other and you end up having gaps in the corners. Man Utd got it right with OT, it's a cauldron, that's what Anfield needs to be. And 60,000 is not enough. What's the point of spending a whole heap of money for a 15,000 increase in capacity? Needs to be 70,000 at least.

Remember this is stage 1 of a multi stage redevelopment. The Main Stand will be redeveloped first (as shown in the above pictures), then the Anfield Road end will follow with a similar size stand taking capacity to 60,000. Those stands in their current state are far smaller than the Kop and the Centenary Stand (which will remain untouched at this stage - that may change in the future), so I don't think it will look out of place once completed. Similarly the use of brick on the exterior facade of the structure works I think as it mirrors the design of the other stands.

To upgrade it pass 60k would require additional drawing of transport and railway plans and s**t like that I think, which would be an absolute mother******* hassle. I think we'll gradually get there anyway depending on how the club does the next few years, if we get loads of CL football then we will add more again. Can't put all our eggs in one basket now

It means opening a railway line which the council wants LFC to pay a huge amount for if we go over 60K, plus about 8mil for each of the stations on the line which has been closed since 1948.

I actually like the design, it fits the surrounding area nicely and I think it fits in with the rest of Anfield pretty well. The current main stand is rubbish and we finally get rid of the columns. I much prefer the mismatched stands than having an awful bowl like most of the other new grounds being built lately, and anyway the centenary stand already is much bigger than the kop, but because the lower tier matches up you don't really notice it. This new stand should do the same and the Annie rd stand should match up pretty well on both sides.

Also for those wanting 70K the centenary stand cant be extended and would need a complete rebuild to increase capacity, and the only way the kop can be increased (as it is already as far back as possible and as steep as allowed) would be with a second tier, and surely no supporter wants that to see that happen.

And someone asked earlier about buying the houses in the area... it was announced a couple days back that the council had obtained the last of them.

I'm so happy we are staying at Anfield and not building something new completely, I just cant imagine the intimidation factor would still be there for visiting teams.

Great news for the residents of the area who have lived with uncertainty for years and now have a brighter future. Personally I would have preferred a clean sheet new stadium at Stanley Park (and it has cost us 50 million quid to discard that project) but the Anfield redevelopment only costs a fraction of the price.

I'd hope that both the kop & centenary stand also get a makeover as they will both remain untouched when the redevelopment is complete and were looking quite dated when I was there last for Carragher's farewell game vs QPR nearly a year ago.

Can't really see on those plans what they are going to do with Anfield Road itself which will be built over by the Anfield Road stand redevelopment. Block it off? Tunnel under the stand?

I'd hope that both the kop & centenary stand also get a makeover as they will both remain untouched when the redevelopment is complete and were looking quite dated when I was there last for Carragher's farewell game vs QPR nearly a year ago.

Can't really see on those plans what they are going to do with Anfield Road itself which will be built over by the Anfield Road stand redevelopment. Block it off? Tunnel under the stand?

It going to become pedestrian only...

I think we've pretty much cleared all the debt they've created and now that we have written off 50 million quid that's the last of the nice little headaches they left us sorted.

IIRC the debt has just been transferred to an interest free loan by FSG.

It going to become pedestrian only... there is a bit of talk of it being used a bit like Yawkey Way next to Fenway Park in Boston, lots of gameday bars, team shops and the like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure there's a way around that.

There actually isn't really. There's the train line, but it feeds directly to a major rail freight interchange right next to the stadium, and can't really all be put underground. Re-routing it all would be a huge exercise with a shitload of houses on the other side which would have to be bought up and cleared.

Looks great. I am super excited about it. I read somewhere that going up to 60k is just the first step and then a few years down the line, we will be looking to extend again but not sure how as another tier on the Kop wont be tolerated by the fans and I think the Centenery stand I think is maxed out in it's position. So no idea moving forward but it's exciting.

Reasonably pricey to divert a railway line I would have thought.

No railway line, just a small road (Anfield Road), across the street are some disused buildings the club has owned for years, and behind that is Stanley Park (the railway line you might be thinking of is right over the other side of Stanley Park from memory) in any case, the council want to see this happen so I'm sure it won't be too tricky to organize.

There actually isn't really. There's the train line, but it feeds directly to a major rail freight interchange right next to the stadium, and can't really all be put underground. Re-routing it all would be a huge exercise with a shitload of houses on the other side which would have to be bought up and cleared.

image.jpg
So the Main stand (to the left of this picture) will be the first stage of the development, 3 streets of houses to the left of the stadium have been purchased and will be demolished in the near future.

The Anfield Road stand (at the top of this picture) will be the 2nd stage of the redevelopment. As you can see there is a small street and some buildings the club owns across the street.

image.jpg
The train line you're thinking of is at the top of this picture right over the other side of Stanley Park, so unless we're planning on making the new Anfield Road stand a kilometre high it won't be a problem.

No railway line, just a small road (Anfield Road), across the street are some disused buildings the club has owned for years, and behind that is Stanley Park (the railway line you might be thinking of is right over the other side of Stanley Park from memory) in any case, the council want to see this happen so I'm sure it won't be too tricky to organize.

Was talking of the railway line behind the South stand at Old Trafford.

Just had a look at a few aerial shots of Anfield as it is. Don't like this pedestrian area, I think one of the things I really like about the older stadiums is that they are hemmed in by houses and people living a normal life on every side.

It'll make money for sure, but doesn't look great compared to what they have there atm.

Been at Anfield twice really looking forward to the stadium revamp. Oh what I will do to watch Liverpool v Chelsea at Anfield losing my mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back