News Stadium: The NEW Home of Football in WA

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by Aussiblood, Apr 13, 2011.

Put it out there
  1. Fred Ziffel

Fred Ziffel Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Are you talking about the smoke lingering for a short time at the start ?

Admiral Byng likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. manpurple

manpurple Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Ok so I really like the new stadium but there are two things that are just plain awful

1 - Food
    My sister is celiac and nightshade (tomato and related) allergic and there are almost no options. You can pick Sushi and that’s it. And yes we have tried every level every food stall.
    It’s appalling that all food is provided by the same company. And worse that even normal selections are so bad. I miss the food in the bill Walker room and I never thought I would say that.

2 - Transport
    I go to the football with an friend in his 70’s. He is not disabled but the walk to and from the busses or trains is a long way for him. The lineup for trains and buses hurt his hips. There are no where near enough lifts (seriously 4 sets in a stadium of 60k is crazy) and he said that he probably won’t be able to come next year because of all this.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

dockerfemme likes this.
  3. Okinakashi

Okinakashi Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
    There are gluten free meat pies. Not sure if that helps.

Agreed about the walk/lines for oldies. Transperth need to address that - maybe we should send them a note, so they know it's an issue.

dockerfemme likes this.
  4. wayToGo_

wayToGo_ Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I took my 87 year old Grandma last weekend. She's a mad Docker's supporter but never been to a game before (admittedly not the most exciting game to take her to but she was happy). She lives down South so drove to the Armadale station (and home after the game - pretty impressive) and then came up on the train (met her at the station). She's got a walking stick so we were just patient with the lifts, took our time on the stairs to seats, and I made sure she snuck through the barrier to the train station on the way home so she didn't have to endure the snake walk.

I think they've mostly got it right but I do wonder if they've considered some courtesy vehicles to help seniors get to and from the stations. I was more annoyed about a bunch of people in their 30s/40s using the lifts when they really didn't need to. Should be exclusive to seniors/pwds and their helpers, families with kids should use the escalators and everyone else should be on the stairs.

Completely agree re food - byo is my suggestion, much better food and don't need to leave your seat to line up for overly expensive cr*p. And you also don't annoy anyone having to squeeze past them and knocking over their beer/drink. A few weeks back we had a bunch of non-members down from us who would sit in their seats during the breaks yapping but then get up and try to pass us at the start of each quarter and then come back midway through. Not normally a violent person but they were testing that.

dockerfemme likes this.
  5. dockerfemme

dockerfemme All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I am an "oldie" (I guess) with a bad knee. I find going to the new stadium very challenging and tiring. It is not just Transperth. Standing and waiting for the security when entering and for lifts while being jostled in a crowd is quite discomforting and the amount of walking from the bus stop to and from our seats seems daunting.

I did not have a bad knee last year and I guess Subi would have been quite difficult.

6. wild side

wild side Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Even golf carts that could take people from the stadium to the train or bus

manpurple likes this.
  7. im_a_lazy_sod

im_a_lazy_sod Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Everton FC - EFFC Sharks - Tranmere
    Wait til it starts pissing down with rain and there is no cover walking to the station or bus port area - let alone shelter at the bus port itself

At least you can bring umbrellas in to the ground so you can use them to/from - needs more cover imo

manpurple likes this.
  8. manpurple

manpurple Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    For us it is a much longer walk than Subi. Neither the train nor the buses are as close as the subi train was. My friend requires a walking stick and we had to argue with the gate keepers so he didn’t have to walk the entire S for the train. Just dreadful.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

dockerfemme likes this.
  9. Purple dynamite

Purple dynamite Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Bayern munich
    I understand that logistics are more difficult for elderly people. However this stadium holds 60k people upgradeable to 70k. It takes more space to effeciently disperse that many people.

fnerd likes this.
  10. Reginald Perrin

Reginald Perrin Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    South Fremantle
    An friend?! An friend?!!!

[​IMG]

But yes, you're right about the food options. Where did you find the sushi? I couldn't find any on level 1.

11. mightymouse75

mightymouse75 Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Wimbledon AFC
    It's a bit dumb to not have the station a little bit closer. No reason not to have the bus right there. Civil engineers are toooooo dumb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Unique Name

Unique Name Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    The bus station is 100-150m away from the stadium! Really not sure how it could get any closer without making the walking area around the stadium too congested.

Freo_4eva, fnerd, holybishop and 5 others like this.
  13. tants

tants Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    The bus should drop you off at your block

budge27, raffrox, freo_leo29 and 2 others like this.
  14. Paracleet

Paracleet We finally really did it. You maniacs!

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Whatever the faults of the new stadium train station, being further from the ground than the stations at Subi is not one of them. It's at least twice as close as west leederville is to Subi is at its closest point.

15. Steinfreo

Steinfreo Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    the buses are fine but the paths along the river are overly crowded and dark for late games.

16. freo_leo29

freo_leo29 Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle
    Buses are definitely closer than West Leederville was, I think most are just upset at the parking arrangements which is fair enough in some circumstances

17. Steinfreo

Steinfreo Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Its meant to be like that with the park, to affect change in peoples habits getting to games. The issue is around the stadium is boring, theres no vibe or atmosphere so no reason to go early, have an early meal or something and avoid the rush and Bus/train traffic jams.

The food is absolute garbage to, the same if not worse than Subi. Seriously POS catering company running that shit show.

Unique Name likes this.
  18. Nickos66

Nickos66 Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    For the throng of fans who walk to/from the East Perth train station - come July August it's going to be a legal issue when you have 1000's of departing fans trudging along in the mud and rain going under the Windan bridge. Some decent infrastructure & lighting is sorely needed along this avenue.

19. yakamoto

yakamoto Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I think the rest of our games are Sunday pm so light should not be a problem.

20. raffrox

raffrox Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Fremantle
    I disagree. We used to rock up at the last minute a Subi but we've been going early and making a day of it. I quite like the Camfield and our kid loves the playgrounds. We went to the area around the stadium during the day during school holidays and it was pretty busy.

No Excuses FC and Granny Val like this.
  21. Fred Ziffel

Fred Ziffel Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    They haven’t catered for blind spectators either.

22. Kram

Kram I'll brik u

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
    Well most of the West Coast supporters are blind in one eye!

gaskin likes this.
  23. scon

scon Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Long haired Champs.
    And dumb in the other.

gaskin likes this.
  24. Steinfreo

Steinfreo Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    giphy.gif

There was meant to be a food and entertainment 'precinct', One mediocre beer garden, a mediocre playground and 4 food trucks does not constitute a precinct. Why didnt they build Camfield on the water, it has no sense of place, its like it just got plopped somewhere vaguely close.

25. wal

wal Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    EFFC
    They didn't build the Camfield, it was the old golf course clubhouse.

raffrox likes this.