News Stadium: The NEW Home of Football in WA

Remove this Banner Ad

“I tell you whose interest it was most, is the 1100 workers in Kalgoorlie and Esperance who kept their jobs who would have otherwise lost their job.”

Yes, I'm sure the workers are stoked West Australians paid them $198K each to have a job while the company has been raking it in. Our minerals which we not only don't get any payments for for this one-off resource, but we also get to pay this risk-taking company to make crap loads off our minerals. This government will go down in future as having been great at keeping covid out, but shocking at business negotiations (this + Satterley Kwinana buffer housing development + Stokes absolved of domestic gas limitation + East Perth power station,etc.).

And Twiggy for all his faults, still pays a state royalty.
Johnston is a fully fledged union apparatchik, who would be hammered by Ellison in any negotiation.
We, the people, got reamed by a kiwi with our own resources

Draw me a connection with sport/stadiums.

We’d maybe have an extra 10,000 seats at Optus Stadium or an extra 5,000 seats at Perth Oval.

There’s far better things for this state to spend money on than sporting infrastructure that’s already adequate.

Bump.

Brisbane gunning to host the 2032 Olympics and good ol' Perth still with just one (admittedly world class) stadium.

The fact a rugby state can host AFL at reasonable enough grounds in Brisbane, Gold Coast and Cairns, while we have just one is embarrassing. Why shouldn't Perth aspire to host the Olympics or the Commonwealth Games again? At the very least give us some quality infrastructure we can be proud of.

/rant
It's dumb, just let the 2 major cities in Australia with existing stadiums and accommodation host. Perth could never host as even if we had the stadiums now, we have bugger all hotels to put up the crowds. Australia shouldn't even be bidding as it wasn't that long ago that we hosted it so we've got no chance. Queensland will just waste resources on a dick swinging contest that they will not win.

Its $200 million that is going to Mineral Resources that should be going to the WA public thru Royalties.
If you cannot see a connection with Public Money vs being reamed, I really cannot help you!

Is that correct?
Did not a public servant simply stuff it & no one responsible picked it up?

The suggestion seems to be the company reamed the taxpayers when its a straight forward issue when its the public servants that are at fault.

The OP appeared to want to link the sponsorship of the Lathlain complex & its a bloody long bow to dream up that connection.

Nothing to do with Lathlain, and you can bet the public servants gave advice to the Pollies that they should have a cap if the iron ore price went up. They were probably ignored. This isn’t about west coast you idiot, it’s a kiwi that has stitched up the govt from receiving royalties, which don’t have a team. Now ducking run along.

Its $200 million that is going to Mineral Resources that should be going to the WA public thru Royalties.
If you cannot see a connection with Public Money vs being reamed, I really cannot help you!
Think what Kwality is saying is that there's nothing that guarantees that money would ever gone to upgrading Leederville.

Nothing to do with Lathlain, and you can bet the public servants gave advice to the Pollies that they should have a cap if the iron ore price went up. They were probably ignored. This isn’t about west coast you idiot, it’s a kiwi that has stitched up the govt from receiving royalties, which don’t have a team. Now ducking run along.

Mate are you into political cheerleading. A public servant stuffed up but you runs some version of political rant. 'probably ignored', is it your Dad that made the blue?

If you've got complaints about the royalty system dont hide behind nonsense, post it.Ppreferably in a relevant forum.

Ps Mineral Resources sponsor the Lathlain facility. I'm not suggesting the attempt to link them is relevant.

I don’t seriously expect Perth to host a Games anytime soon. Ever. But I do expect a footy state like ours to be able to host a hub with multiple grounds should a COVID-like situation occur again. We have Perth Stadium and nothing else.

It's dumb, just let the 2 major cities in Australia with existing stadiums and accommodation host. Perth could never host as even if we had the stadiums now, we have bugger all hotels to put up the crowds. Australia shouldn't even be bidding as it wasn't that long ago that we hosted it so we've got no chance. Queensland will just waste resources on a dick swinging contest that they will not win.
Ummm .... Brisbane is the IOC's preferred city and they have already begun negotiations with Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The new bidding process, supposedly to stamp out bribery and corruption. Brisbane being named preferred host city means they move onto details negotiations and with a view to signing a contract. This is pretty much winning the bid unless negotiations hit some major hurdle. It is like a preferred tenderer situation, final contract has not been signed but you've stopped talking to the rest and only talking seriously to one bidder now.

I don’t seriously expect Perth to host a Games anytime soon. Ever. But I do expect a footy state like ours to be able to host a hub with multiple grounds should a COVID-like situation occur again. We have Perth Stadium and nothing else.

So build expensive sporting infrastructure for literally no one to play in just in case an event that has happened once in 100 years happens again.

Seems highly sustainable. Can’t think of anything better for the WA government to spend their money on...

Only slightly realistic option is changing the dimensions of the WACA. Everything else is both a waste of money and pointless.

IOC can burn in hell.
Remember when they let the Nazis host just before ww2..?
Now they let Chinese communist party host the winter olympics while they have shut down hong Kong, imprisoned half of Xinjiang & spreadeagled Tibet while trying to start a war with Taiwan & threatening all in the south China sea.
Olympics are all about the $$$$$

Whats wrong with Leederville? Plenty of training ovals.

Millions recently spent on Cockburn and Lathlain, yet these grounds can't hold AFL sanctioned games for points. Yes, you get AFLW at Lathlain and Freo and pre-season games at Joondalup and Mandurah.

I just would have liked to have seen maybe a 25000 seat stadium somewhere capable of holding games. Maybe if the Slime moved to Joondalup instead of Lathlain, or stayed at a smaller Subiaco this could have happened. I agree the WACA also should get its act together and present themselves as a viable option.

Just my opinion, we don't all have to agree.

Narendra Mhodi Stadium in Ahmedabad has a crowd capacity of 132K and only cost about 100 million US. Looks really spectacular at night. Cricket pitch a little below standard though.🙂

The new bidding process, supposedly to stamp out bribery and corruption. Brisbane being named preferred host city means they move onto details negotiations and with a view to signing a contract. This is pretty much winning the bid unless negotiations hit some major hurdle. It is like a preferred tenderer situation, final contract has not been signed but you've stopped talking to the rest and only talking seriously to one bidder now.
They at least have accomodation (Gold Coast) compared to Perth. This still surprises me, although maybe they have already funnelled the bribes long before the new rules came in.

Major hurdle = not enough bribes

Millions recently spent on Cockburn and Lathlain, yet these grounds can't hold AFL sanctioned games for points. Yes, you get AFLW at Lathlain and Freo and pre-season games at Joondalup and Mandurah.

I just would have liked to have seen maybe a 25000 seat stadium somewhere capable of holding games. Maybe if the Slime moved to Joondalup instead of Lathlain, or stayed at a smaller Subiaco this could have happened. I agree the WACA also should get its act together and present themselves as a viable option.

Just my opinion, we don't all have to agree.

you clearly dont pay the bills.

The Olympic Games generally results in the construction of expensive infrastructure, much of which is not used afterwards. It’s a financial disaster for most places that host it. It’d be so for Perth and probably will be for Queensland.

There were some interesting points raised about this on the latest Duff & Quarters podcast. They were of the opinion the IOC is moving away from expecting cities to build expensive, shiny white elephant stadiums and instead evaluating bids on the development of more useful infrastructure like public transport, etc.

Essentially trying to change hosting the Olympics from being an event that causes financial ruin into something that leaves a lasting legacy of an improved city.

There were some interesting points raised about this on the latest Duff & Quarters podcast. They were of the opinion the IOC is moving away from expecting cities to build expensive, shiny white elephant stadiums and instead evaluating bids on the development of more useful infrastructure like public transport, etc.

Essentially trying to change hosting the Olympics from being an event that causes financial ruin into something that leaves a lasting legacy of an improved city.

Yeah, I was reading the same sort of thing this morning. Definitely the way to go. Cities should have most venues already, or move some events elsewhere. The IOC is recommending that they use facilities from the Sydney Olympics for rowing/kayaking/canoeing. Some of the sailing will be up in the Whitsundays and soccer will be spread around regional QLD and even in Sydney/Melbourne. The Paris Olympics is having the surfing at Teahupo'o.

I think the tipping point will be whether Brisbane build new stadiums for athletics and aquatics. The latter probably would be OK, but for both they could use what was used for the Commonwealth Games. If the capacity isn't that high, then so be it. It would be a gigantic waste of money to build a 50k track and field stadium in Brisbane, but I suspect it will happen because athletics is the marquee event and they will want it to be in Brisbane. I don't see any mention of modifying the Gabba playing field, so I assume that isn't an option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back