News Stadium: The NEW Home of Football in WA

Remove this Banner Ad

WAFC pumping the profits from Subiaco Oval into grassroots football came at the expense of their obligation to maintain and uplift the standards of Subiaco Oval.

WAFC pumping the profits from Subiaco Oval into grassroots football came at the expense of their obligation to maintain and uplift the standards of Subiaco Oval.

If the WAFC are going to lose $15M - then I want to know what they were actually spending that money on? WAFL doesnt seem to be growing and the quality of service at Domain is very poor.

Now it looks like WAFC are spitting the toys out of the cot by saying that they look forward to football being played at Domain stadium in 2018 and beyond.

“Despite the State’s decision we are committed to running Domain Stadium at the highest level and hosting AFL, entertainment and other major content at the venue into 2018 and beyond.”

http://perthstadiummanagement.com.au/response-to-perth-stadium-operator-announcement/

Always felt like it was a potential conflict of interest to have the biggest tenant running the stadium too. Seems the State Government are putting their foot down saying this is our stadium and we want it used for more than just footy.

What I don't understand is why the WAFL commission is worried. They hold the WC and Freo license and so they get to dictate what terms they will allow them to play games at the stadium. They just need to grow up and take charge of their own destiny. Stop winning about how the the Governement needs to bail them out all the time and get on with controlling what they can control which is football not stadium management.

If the WAFC are going to lose $15M - then I want to know what they were actually spending that money on?
WAFL league reserves and especially colts, state 18s and state 16s and all the junior districts, including all the district competitions. The WAWFL and associated womens and youth girls programs. The indigenous programs in the NW (a team competes in the interstate 16s carnival) . They also assist amatuer and country leagues. Not to mention the umpires....

But none of that is needed.

Last edited:
Only thing I ever buy at Domain is that stuff they sell in the Billy Walker room.
Don't you buy a Footy Record so you can put it under your chin so you don't dribble the ale down your shirt when your slurping it down your throat and spoil your best T Shirt or do you print a player list at the Dockerland forum and take that to the game ?

West Coast have released a statement regarding the decision:

The West Coast Eagles is disappointed with today’s State Government announcement regarding preferred operators for the new Perth Stadium.

“We respect the process, but this is very disappointing for West Australian football and it will be challenging for the game," club Chief Executive Trevor Nisbett said.

“All West Australian football parties – the West Coast Eagles, Fremantle Football Club, the WA Football Commission and the AFL – will need to get together to work a course forward. We have been wholly united through this process with an ‘all-in-football’ approach and will remain that way.

“This is a body blow for the industry.”

What I don't understand is why the WAFL commission is worried. They hold the WC and Freo license and so they get to dictate what terms they will allow them to play games at the stadium. They just need to grow up and take charge of their own destiny. Stop winning about how the the Governement needs to bail them out all the time and get on with controlling what they can control which is football not stadium management.

this is exactly what they are doing. they are trying to protect your revenue and by extension your profit margin. this is why the AFL, WCE, Freo and WAFC are all united in this fight

they understand how good the stadium deal you currently have is and they're not going to lie down whilst it gets eroded. hence why the AFL came out last year and said if the stadium deal is not adequate, they simply wont fixture games at the new stadium and will continue to play out of subiaco oval, which is leased to the WAFC for another 70 years

they are not whining, they are trying to do the best thing by your football club... hang on a second, why am i defending the FFC

they are not whining, they are trying to do the best thing by your football club... hang on a second, why am i defending the FFC
Because you know it's not just Freo but the WAFL and football in WA. Nice to see you put that before your pathological hatred of all things purple.

Because you know it's not just Freo but the WAFL and football in WA. Nice to see you put that before your pathological hatred of all things purple.

you do realise i am defending your football club right....

and i believe i acknowledged that point in the first paragraph

EDIT: for what its worth as much as i love the rivalry. the last thing we all need is a weaker freo. the money freo and wce generate is far too important for the game and i'm not just talking WA football here. it essentially means the AFL get a nice hefty licence fee income and also not have to worry about developing the game here

start cutting into that revenue and it just starts to compound more problems

You don't know much about my drinking Danny but you you've got me covered on the Dockerland stuff.
I believe you are from the country and I reckon you would be a 2 handed drinker with a stubby in each hand or have you graduated to a King Brown in each hand?:);):p:p:p:D

It smacks of entitlement and a poor/arrogant bid from the WAFC group. It doesn't surprise me that someone else had a better bid.

WA junior football and development is in the doldrums, with poor performances at the national carnival and not many draftees over recent years. Subiaco Oval has been run poorly, with poor amenities and poor food. The WAFL "died" when the Eagles arrived, and it has been treading water since. Doubt it will get worse. I'm not sure the WAFC has been doing such a great job. Is the best thing for WA football to let them continue operating the way they have been? Maybe they do actually need a kick up the arse and to focus on football development and not stadium management.

Maybe the state of WA football gets even worse with this stadium management decision, but I'm not sure anyone can say this for sure. Does anybody actually know the deal, and how much money will be returned to the government and then funnelled back into WA football? I wouldn't hold my breath, and wouldn't be surprised with some bullshit/corrupt deals going on, but it's a bit premature to say this will be a body blow for WA football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It smacks of entitlement and a poor/arrogant bid from the WAFC group. It doesn't surprise me that someone else had a better bid.

WA junior football and development is in the doldrums, with poor performances at the national carnival and not many draftees over recent years. Subiaco Oval has been run poorly, with poor amenities and poor food. The WAFL "died" when the Eagles arrived, and it has been treading water since. Doubt it will get worse. I'm not sure the WAFC has been doing such a great job. Is the best thing for WA football to let them continue operating the way they have been? Maybe they do actually need a kick up the arse and to focus on football development and not stadium management.

Maybe the state of WA football gets even worse with this stadium management decision, but I'm not sure anyone can say this for sure. Does anybody actually know the deal, and how much money will be returned to the government and then funnelled back into WA football? I wouldn't hold my breath, and wouldn't be surprised with some bullshit/corrupt deals going on, but it's a bit premature to say this will be a body blow for WA football.

I don't know much about it, but I work in health and know for a fact that there is no money left and jobs are going and everyone is on a short term contract. Whatever revenue that will be coming into the WA coffers, the last place it will be going to is funding football in the state. There is simply no money left.

I don't know much about it, but I work in health and know for a fact that there is no money left and jobs are going and everyone is on a short term contract. Whatever revenue that will be coming into the WA coffers, the last place it will be going to is funding football in the state. There is simply no money left.

Some quotes from a few of the articles:
“Out of this contract to be finalised there will be a profit sharing arrangement and a revenue flow for the State Government. Out of that we will be able to maintain funding for the WA Football Commission and local football."
Mr Barnett said the Government would ensure that the West Australian Football Commission (WAFC) would have a stream of revenue to continue to manage, support and grow local football at the West Australian Football League and community level.

I don't doubt what you say, and it would be folly to believe a politician, but hopefully in this case the above actually happens.

Not sure why football should get special treatment over every other sporting organisation by getting exclusive rights to manage a publically funded stadium. No other sporting code gets that handed to them on a platter. The Subiaco Oval deal was too generous to begin with, so no wonder the WAFC is upset.

I agree that it smacks of entitlement. When Soccer Australia went broke from decades of mismanagement, all registered players from juniors to amateurs had to pay a levy to establish the new FFA.

The WAFC wants it both ways: for the Government (on behalf of the public) to build FOOTBALL a stadium, and then for the WAFC to manage the stadium to make money to suit their goals.

My view is that part of the deal of football getting access to a new stadium means that the WAFC will have to accept that it's never going to get a deal as good as the Subi deal again.

As if the AFL will fixture games at Subi with the brand new Burswood Stadium sitting empty across town. It's all bluster and empty threats: the first shot in a war to make sure the usage fee isn't too high.

Age of entitlement at the WAFC. Wasting all the money on junior development programs, the WAFL, women's football, umpires and the like. The agreement at Subi allows them to be self sufficient. Now they will be at the whim of the government when it comes to funding as they go cap in hand every year.

But don't complain if there is a levy on tickets in the future to fund the development level of football as a consequence of this decision.

My view is that part of the deal of football getting access to a new stadium means that the WAFC will have to accept that it's never going to get a deal as good as the Subi deal again.
But weren't they given a commitment by the WA Government that they'd be no worse off?

I dont think the FFC and WCE as well as the junior development pathways have much to worry about.
The government will make sure the money is flowing thick and fast into these areas. Reason being they have a direct impact on the performance of the stadium.

Major concerns I have is with the WAFL, WAAFL and Country football.

The government have shown quite clearly that they would rather deal with the AFL commision than the WAFC.
How long will it be till the state government consider the WAFC a burden on the books and sell the administration of the game in WA to the AFL.
Much easier to direct the revenue from the stadium to the AFL who can then administer the game.

If the AFL were to take control of the game in WA then the WAFL as a competition would probably cease to exist.
Why would the AFL direct money to a league that is in competition with them?
Wwhy would they have the WAFL clubs run junior development when they can set up an U'18s system like they have in Victoria?
In Victoria the only clubs in the VFL that can survive without an alignment are the ones that have gaming revenue, something no WA club will ever be able to have.
With the money drying up and junior development taken out of their hands how will the WAFL clubs survive.

Now some will say the WAFL clubs have done a poor job in regards to junior development which I think is unfair.
In the last ten years we have won State Championships and behind Victoria produced the most draftees.
Also WAFL clubs have an interest in the development of all Juniors in their district not just the ones who will play AFL.

In regards to WAAFL and Country Football, why would the AFL have any interest in supporting senior community football.
Sure they will pay it lip service but in terms of funding it will be non existent.
Whilst they are generally self sufficient, the administration of these leagues is maintained by the WAFC.
With no administration who will run senior community football in the state, the government??
If the Dept of Sport and Rec take control it may survive albeit in a very different manner.

I know this may not eventuate and the State Government may continue to ensure the WAFC's viability but forgive me for not having faith in the word of any government.

I dont think the FFC and WCE as well as the junior development pathways have much to worry about.
The government will make sure the money is flowing thick and fast into these areas. Reason being they have a direct impact on the performance of the stadium.

Major concerns I have is with the WAFL, WAAFL and Country football.

The government have shown quite clearly that they would rather deal with the AFL commision than the WAFC.
How long will it be till the state government consider the WAFC a burden on the books and sell the administration of the game in WA to the AFL.
Much easier to direct the revenue from the stadium to the AFL who can then administer the game.

If the AFL were to take control of the game in WA then the WAFL as a competition would probably cease to exist.
Why would the AFL direct money to a league that is in competition with them?
Why would they have the WAFL clubs run junior development when they can set up an U'18s system like they have in Victoria?
In Victoria the only clubs in the VFL that can survive without an alignment are the ones that have gaming revenue, something no WA club will ever be able to have.
With the money drying up and junior development taken out of their hands how will the WAFL clubs survive.

Now some will say the WAFL clubs have done a poor job in regards to junior development which I think is unfair.
In the last ten years we have won State Championships and behind Victoria produced the most draftees.

Also WAFL clubs have an interest in the development of all Juniors in their district not just the ones who will play AFL.

In regards to WAAFL and Country Football, why would the AFL have any interest in supporting senior community football.
Sure they will pay it lip service but in terms of funding it will be non existent.
Whilst they are generally self sufficient, the administration of these leagues is maintained by the WAFC.
With no administration who will run senior community football in the state, the government??
If the Dept of Sport and Rec take control it may survive albeit in a very different manner.

I know this may not eventuate and the State Government may continue to ensure the WAFC's viability but forgive me for not having faith in the word of any government.
On this particular point - it appears we're going backwards at a rate of knots, NSW has produced better high end draft picks than WA has in recent years, which is a concern in itself. o_O

Are there enough U-18s in WA to fill a competition like the TAC Cup in Victoria?

I'm not convinced we have enough, I think the Victorian U-18s came about because they had too many for the VFL clubs to dedicate resources to.

The WAFL colts would become the State U'18/19 league, taking development football and colts football away from the WAFL clubs.

On this particular point - it appears we're going backwards at a rate of knots, NSW has produced better high end draft picks than WA has in recent years, which is a concern in itself. o_O

The last two years maybe, when judging performance you need to take a bigger sample.
Football is cyclical and while the last two years have been bad the previous 5-6 were some of the best years the state has seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back