Stadiums in WA/SA the capacity for the future

Remove this Banner Ad

The bit about only 30-33k members showing up is pretty off the pace. The fact is that memberships are becoming so hard to come by for the Eagles, and are expected to be about to head down the same road for the Dockers, that absolutely no one will relinquish even without having a hope of attending anything in a given year.

If we don't get this stadium built people will start trying to pass them on in their wills!

So how often do the US stadiums you refer to get used Pj,Rj,Hj ???

22 events per year (AFL footy in Perth) is low, too low I'd argue.

AFL footy pays all the bills at the MCG, with cricket drawing less & less in the crowds stakes - why Adelaide Oval needs footy.

That's right - bring in the 3rd Perth team along with the new Stadium. Suddenly you have 33 games per year with an average attendance of perhaps 50,000.

That includes 6 DERBIES! S-I-X!

Standard of the current comp too high, lets drop it further by admitting more teams.

Work with lots of WA people & 99% currently follow one side or another, some still with a Vic side from pre national comp - where are the followers going to come from Macca?

That's right - bring in the 3rd Perth team along with the new Stadium. Suddenly you have 33 games per year with an average attendance of perhaps 50,000.

That includes 6 DERBIES! S-I-X!

If last nights game was played at Subi, the game would have turned a profit, WHY continue to make losses at Etihad?

Where are the supporters for this fictional club going to come from, all those currently non aligned West Aussie footy fans - there'd be no problem with sponsorship, but bums on seats HELLO !!

If last nights game was played at Subi, the game would have turned a profit, WHY continue to make losses at Etihad?

Actually, it would have made a loss at Subi. Every game makes a loss at Subi, as the sales at the gate cannot exceed the rent per game charged, let alone all the other match day costs. Despite the high cost of tickets, there aren't enough available to cover the costs.

if the game were played at subi not Etihad freo members wouldn't get in as members they would pay at the gate.

And if freo's home game were played at Etihad Saints members would pay at the gate as well. Of course, Freo would need to drop their membership price by 1/11th, so they'd almost certainly be worse off overall. What's your point?

And if freo's home game were played at Etihad Saints members would pay at the gate as well. Of course, Freo would need to drop their membership price by 1/11th, so they'd almost certainly be worse off overall. What's your point?

Why play games at loss making venues when you have an alternative.

The Hawks are playing potential loss making games in Tas & turning a profit - its a part of the FIX in the FIXture.

WA has proven its able to negotiate a win/win move of a game with North Melbourne - why wouldnt it work for a Saints game?

Yes, its another FIX in the FIXture, why not, the game turns a dollar.

Standard of the current comp too high, lets drop it further by admitting more teams.

Work with lots of WA people & 99% currently follow one side or another, some still with a Vic side from pre national comp - where are the followers going to come from Macca?

They may follow one side or another, but many can't be bothered becoming members of West Coast for instance because there's a waiting list.

Where there is unmet demand there is an opening.

By 2020 if there were 3 teams in WA and 2 teams in SA, guess which teams would have more potential supporters to draw from (on average)?

The WA teams. Even with 3 of them.

Besides, isn't the NRL planning on putting a team in Perth, so right there is another team, and wouldn't all Rugger supporters already be supporting the Force? So where is the market for them?

I'm not saying do it tomorrow, you can have a 10 year lead time on a 3rd team preparing the ground-work.

In a decade's time, Perth will definitely be able to support a 3rd team.

Why play games at loss making venues when you have an alternative.

The Hawks are playing potential loss making games in Tas & turning a profit - its a part of the FIX in the FIXture.

WA has proven its able to negotiate a win/win move of a game with North Melbourne - why wouldnt it work for a Saints game?

Yes, its another FIX in the FIXture, why not, the game turns a dollar.

2 points:

Virtually no match actually makes a loss. Clubs make the bulk of their income from match days through sales of memberships, corporate boxes and other match day functions as well as ticket sales at the gate. If any club was actually making a loss on matchday then they would be dead - they wouldn't even have the money to pay the salary cap. It's just that some choose to ignore many (i.e most) revenue streams associated with match day when calculating whether or not they turn a profit. As if you would still pull in the same dollars from corporates and members if you have less home games to give to them.

The AFL no longer allows clubs to sell games to other clubs. If you want to sell it to neutral venues that's fine (apparently). But to another club's home ground is a no-no. So there's not much point debating it.

Yep, its in the AFL's court, it puts the FIX in the fixture. Not sure why its OK for Vic footy, but no regard for WA footy, i.e OK for the Hawks, not for Freo/WC.

As for the membership/attendance issue, well hello.
This is outside the square, even forward thinking.
There is a huge number of footy fans in WA not able to go to games due to sell outs & here is an idea, tap the market.
Want your box for the extra game, pony up!

Richard Goyder on the Commission offers hope amongst Victorian apologists.

They may follow one side or another, but many can't be bothered becoming members of West Coast for instance because there's a waiting list.

Where there is unmet demand there is an opening.

By 2020 if there were 3 teams in WA and 2 teams in SA, guess which teams would have more potential supporters to draw from (on average)?

The WA teams. Even with 3 of them.

Besides, isn't the NRL planning on putting a team in Perth, so right there is another team, and wouldn't all Rugger supporters already be supporting the Force? So where is the market for them?

I'm not saying do it tomorrow, you can have a 10 year lead time on a 3rd team preparing the ground-work.

In a decade's time, Perth will definitely be able to support a 3rd team.

I'd definatly become a member of a third WA side, id definatly still stay a sydney supporter but just being able to watch a regular game would be great. Yes with WA's population boom predicated for the next decade or two we risk losing a lot of supporters to other codes if we dont think ahead. A 10 year lead to me is a bit much probably a third side when the stadium opens would be more appropriate.

Appears your research has mislead you eskabah, how so?

Perhaps you could confirm your bona fides by listing some links to your claims, e.g ownership of the WACA ...

It appears it has, I remember reading that few years ago, can't remember where though.

Sorry for the misinformation and thank you RusselEbertHandball for correcting me, that was an interesting read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd definatly become a member of a third WA side, id definatly still stay a sydney supporter but just being able to watch a regular game would be great. Yes with WA's population boom predicated for the next decade or two we risk losing a lot of supporters to other codes if we dont think ahead. A 10 year lead to me is a bit much probably a third side when the stadium opens would be more appropriate.

How many locals are uncommitted fans in clubland HPKS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back